Looking for a lighter tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m currently running Terra Hunter 35x12.5 r22 tires on my truck at 77lbs a piece. I’m looking to see if anyone knows of a lighter tire in the same size?View attachment 524083
If you are running 35’s on a 1500 I’m guessing the truck is lifted or leveled. I run the same tires as you in 275/65/20 and I noticed a 1 mpg drop on an 80 mile trip when I first put those tires on. I leveled the front end shortly after the tires and that’s when I saw the mpg sink fast. Lost 3-4 mpg highway with the level. I can certainly understand your concern towing with heavy tires, lifted and pulling a big square box.

OP
OP
D

Dubj09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not sure how light of a tire to go with while towing? Load range E 10 ply should be minimum for towing at 80lbs psi. Not trying to be nasty but just like many others I'm sure you have a nice truck and trailer why the huge concern over mpg?

OP
OP
D

Dubj09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Who doesn’t want to save money when they can?

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been runnning Michelin E-range 275 65 20 and am now looking to replace them with the XL rated version for about 15lb weight savings per tire. Also thinking the ride will be much better running the same 38psi.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
Who doesn’t want to save money when they can?

I think what they're saying is, in the context of towing, a few pounds of tire savings will not be worth the cost of new tires, assuming your current ones are still good. There are other things you can do to save much more money while towing than switching to slightly lighter tires.

However, if you're about to purchase new tires anyway, weight is a valid consideration because it will incrementally save you gas/gain you performance and wear/tear continuously throughout their life, and it may be worth it provided you aren't giving up anything important to you in selecting the lighter tire size, such as load capacity, speed rating, or wear and puncture resistance. I know I considered tire weight when shopping for my next set.