Looking for a supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have my 17 ram and looking to void my warranty in the best way possible. But seriously im looking to get a supercharger next summer for some extra power on my ram no track racing. I've read procharger is better for my trany and overall daily driving and reliability but I see them often for sale used with 1k or so mileage on them. When I ask the seller why they are selling them with such low milage I get lame answers about going another direction with the truck which has me skeptical. Im also looking at whipple and Magnison but I don't want to destroy my transmission.
Does anyone have any experience with these superchargers? Please don't talk out of your ass if you don't know.
Thanks.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I hate that “going a different direction” response. Acting like their truck is top secret. I never understood why there are so many low mileage super chargers for sale

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hate that “going a different direction” response. Acting like their truck is top secret. I never understood why there are so many low mileage super chargers for sale

lol Me either.

customcarz973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Everyone we have come in the store with them, or ones we have installed complain of belt slip issues. Thats why I like boost with out belts ;)

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everyone we have come in the store with them, or ones we have installed complain of belt slip issues. Thats why I like boost with out belts ;)

Turbo IS better... :roflsquared:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More reliable?

As long as you put a turbo to bed without starving it of oil, it will be very reliable. Not much that goes wrong with them.

The turbo in my 2008 A4 with 100k miles on it was just inspected (had the head apart for other issues), clean bill of health, even with 20k miles chipped (+50 HP).

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Most people with a procharger don’t tighten the belt after it initially stretches and it begins to slip. If the belt is kept at max tension then the belt should not be slipping on the basic 6-7psi setup. The belts begin to slip when you start running the rpm past 6000 or when running smaller blower pulleys to get more boost. If you ever plan to do that, man up and get the stage 2 bracket with an independent 8-rib belt and never have any belt slippage.

If you just want a fun truck around town then the Whipple, maguson, or Edelbrock would be the way to go as they have better low-rpm power, they’re just more limited in how much power they can make in the top end compared to the procharger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My vote for a whipple, that’s what I have, buddy has the same set up. Pretty good kit and no issues so far at 500hp to the wheels.

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Most people with a procharger don’t tighten the belt after it initially stretches and it begins to slip. If the belt is kept at max tension then the belt should not be slipping on the basic 6-7psi setup. The belts begin to slip when you start running the rpm past 6000 or when running smaller blower pulleys to get more boost. If you ever plan to do that, man up and get the stage 2 bracket with an independent 8-rib belt and never have any belt slippage.

If you just want a fun truck around town then the Whipple, maguson, or Edelbrock would be the way to go as they have better low-rpm power, they’re just more limited in how much power they can make in the top end compared to the procharger.

Heard stories about the whipple causing damage to the 8speed tranny's due to instant power and torque. Any truth to that?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Heard stories about the whipple causing damage to the 8speed tranny's due to instant power and torque. Any truth to that?

A positive displacement blower has more torque at the hit right off the line compared to something like a pro charger, so yes it would be slightly harder on the drivetrain, but the 8HP70 is a pretty tough unit. It’s the same trans that’s in the SRT vehicles and guys have been boosting those with little to no issues. Both me and my buddies trucks have been fine and honestly don’t expect any issues.

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

Only ones I’ve heard were back in 2013 that were cracking the output tailhousing but the 8 speeds hold up just fine to any type of power these days.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My vote would be Magneson or Whipple.

xxAGAVExx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subd

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ivey, if you go through with this, are you going to upgrade the internals ?

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ivey, if you go through with this, are you going to upgrade the internals ?

No I probable wont. Just want to make a fun truck that's reliable to keep as a daily and in another 2 years ill get a hellcat for the garage.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No I probable wont. Just want to make a fun truck that's reliable to keep as a daily and in another 2 years ill get a hellcat for the garage.

Just wondering the valve train would handle the SC.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just wondering the valve train would handle the SC.

If anything were to be the weak link it would be the ring gap or the pistons. HEMI’s will take the 6-8psi all day long without any issues. You can run up to 10 but you need to make sure you have a good tune and run something like water **** to keep cylinder temps down, cause if you detonate or close a ring gap, it’s bye bye engine.

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ill run the stock psi that comes with it