Looking for advice/opinion on buying a truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been looking (off and on) for a few months. Currently driving an '03 Silverado 1500, which has been the best truck of my life (73 years old now). I love the old girl and have upgraded just about everything in her, but rust is doing her in.

I've driven some new and used GMC and Chevy trucks, and they are crazy money for trucks that don't ride near as nice as my '03. Plus the interiors seem cheap, and the frames rust out (badly) in areas with salted roads (I'm in Northeast).

I like the advice here. I'm gonna "take my time" and look for a great deal, or at least a good one............... :waytogo:
Wateva U get, get the dang thing either Fluid Film or Krown sprayed and continue each year, just IMHO. One thing I hated being up NE, friggin rust. At least here, that not much of an issue. It's the heat wear U out.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mojo88....I was an 'old GM Guy too'. I completely understand what you meant by wanting to go with a Ram. Couple questions & points to ponder in your search:

1) Do you do some or any of your own maintenance? If so, 2018 and above have an OBDII diagnostic system that most scanners are kind of 'locked' out of. But the truck's 'brain' can be accessed using low-cost software that is made for these trucks and a Secure Gateway Interface (Just google it, or search it on this forum). It's not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

2) 2013 represents a point where 4th gen Rams were substantially 'improved'. More and modern electronics are the main issues on those early trucks. And the issues many of them have are very expensive issues (Electronic Power Steering, ABS modules). 2012's and below had simple hydraulic steering which is trouble-free. In your case if you can find a good 2018, the EPS's seem to be more trouble-free (So Far!?). Also seem to be a lot fewer cam/lifter failures too.

3) As TurkyBird56 indicated above, get whatever you buy undercoated as these DO rust in time ...like all vehicles eventually do.

In summary, the newer you buy the better. Also, some owners have gotten significant 'deals' off sticker from some ram dealers. Continue to check around. You'll love your new Ram when you eventually get it. Even that 2017 looks real nice. Best of luck!

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Awesome replies gents! I truly appreciate the help and comments. ;)

@Racer9 - I would have it shipped, but based on comments, I am gonna keep shopping.

@TN Mopar - I concur with it all. Gonna keep shopping, thanks

@KWal - thanks

@Zoe Saldana - I would think idle hours would be hard to ascertain, as well as not all that critical for a passenger vehicle... no? I totally get your point if it was a used police vehicle or similar.

@Bigskyroadglide - thanks, very relevant comments. I will check that link out too!

@CanuckRam1313 - thanks for the expanded comments. I was kinda set on the air suspension, just because I like a cushy ride, and it appears that all four corners of the suspension can be replaced for less than $1k (if I do it myself). I have a 4-post lift and all the tools in my garage, plus I've been wrenching for many years, I could replace all that stuff easily. Does this make me a viable candidate for the air suspension?? Am I wrong about the pricing? Regardless, I am gonna keep shopping, likely something newer with less miles.
"I would think idle hours would be hard to ascertain, as well as not all that critical for a passenger vehicle... no? I totally get your point if it was a used police vehicle or similar."

It shows on the milage display. 1 hr = 30 miles. We've seen many trucks with high idle times which some say is associated with the Hemi Tick.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2017 with that kind of mileage. The price for that trim level might be a little high but not much.

I wouldn't buy that truck, though. It has an accident history. Even minor, that means paint work and that may or may not hold up. There's no maintenance history. Last owner had it for less than a year. Why? It's being sold by a national chain (AutoNation). You likely would be buying it sight unseen.

When I buy used vehicles I look hard for the privately owned vehicle that I can get an idea of the care the vehicle has had. I check it over as best I can and test drive it. If the service history shows up on Carfax, even better. The last 2 trucks I bought had oil changes every 5 k since new on the Carfax report. I also look for the person selling it for a reasonable price because you know the dealer isn't giving them squat on a trade in. These days there are a lot of scams, little fly by night dealers advertising on marketplace, and dealers who want top dollar. I also look for no rust, even if that means driving south. Look hard enough and you'll find a good one at a good price.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
"I would think idle hours would be hard to ascertain, as well as not all that critical for a passenger vehicle... no? I totally get your point if it was a used police vehicle or similar."

It shows on the milage display. 1 hr = 30 miles. We've seen many trucks with high idle times which some say is associated with the Hemi Tick.
It does on the EVIC, yes.
However, those idle and drive hours meters are notorious for not being accurate. I wouldn't hold that to any real credibility.

My 19' had the idle and drive times change four times in my five years of ownership, and I'm not talking an hour or two swing either.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It does on the EVIC, yes.
However, those idle and drive hours meters are notorious for not being accurate. I wouldn't hold that to any real credibility.

My 19' had the idle and drive times change four times in my five years of ownership, and I'm not talking an hour or two swing either.
Isn't that supposed to change as you drive & idle more?
What did your readout do to cause you not to believe it?
I have seen complaints but not sure what the changes were.
My reading seem reasonable so far. I only have 46,000 miles on mine

OP
OP
Mojo88

Mojo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
@Jeepwalker - great tips, thanks. I would definitely buy that software/hardware to access the OBD. I have lift in my garage and all the tools, been wrenching many years. Hot rodding too.

@Jas34 - nice tips, I concur with it all. I gave up on that 2017 truck in my first post. Looking at a 2020 locally now. I will test drive it myself. Staying away from the small private dealers, too many shenanigans nowadays. Gonna buy from reputable dealer, or private seller, but buy cautiously and carefully. Thanks again....

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Bought my 2019 Laramie 3500 dually new on a year end clearance the last day of January, 2020. Not intentionally, but turned out they wanted just one more sale for their monthly quota, plus they had a mess of '19 duallies on the lot, and had had them for many months. So, on top of the $10K it was already marked down, I got another 5K off, all the way down to $64K. And I had a large enough down payment to where I got 0% 3-year Chrysler financing on the balance. I'm very happy with my purchase. I got as much truck as anyone could possibly want or need, for what some are now paying for 1500s.

So, throw that into the hopper as you ruminate on your future purchase decisions. Perhaps you may be as lucky as I was.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So please don't tear me up if this isn't allowed. I (or a mod) will remove the post if this is somehow against the rules.

I am an old-time GM truck guy, shopping for a new/used truck and the GM stuff just isn't floating my boat any more. I'm gonna jump ship and switch brands, most likely to a RAM. I would honestly just buy brand new, but I'm an old Yankee and the RAM truck I want is over $85k, which just about makes me mess my pants.

So, in line with my cheapness, here's a truck I'm perusing, located in CA. It's a 2017 1500 Laramie Longhorn with 71,649 miles and they're asking $29,998 ; https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1C6RR7WT0HS790060

It has all the options I want, plus I really like that interior. But it's 8 years old and has a few miles. Is this something you RAM guys would be looking at, or would you pass? Thanks for any help.

View attachment 541490
View attachment 541495
View attachment 541491

View attachment 541492
Well, I'm a Longhorn guy myself and on my third one (had 2013 - 2017 - 2020 model years) ... Like you, I too was a GM guy for years but when I saw the Longhorn model back in 2013 I knew that's what I was going to buy ... In my 2017, I had an issue with the fuel pump shorting out but it was replaced under warranty ... I haven't had any regrets switching over as the GM trucks weren't appealing anymore ... I buy new as I like having warranty (usually buy the extended warranty) so I can't speak on purchasing a used one, but as another commenter said, if you afford new, you're probably better off then buying somone elses problem .. And I wouldn't be shy about the air suspension, as I had it in all three of my Longhorns and never had a problem, and I'm up here in Canada ... If you're an off-roader, then that may be a concern ... Good Luck ...

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
That looks like a nice truck, Mine is a 2014 sport with real low miles as it am retired.
But Online, that turns me off, every one I haev bought, I drove first , then fight about the $$$$ after if I like it.
I like the color of the seats, Black gets old.
Good luck on the hunt, that's 1/2 the fun, though the wife just hates it.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
it looks nice and has some good options. the mileage is not bad for the number of years driven but keep in mind that at that mileage things are going to start needing to be replaced..and a loan on one that old would be for less months.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I have a 17 QC with V6. Second one and no issues at all. I'm at 80k on this one. The other was 88k when it was totaled.
If I had to buy a truck today, it would be a Ford Maverick or preferably a 50s-70s restored regular cab. There are lots of them out there.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
That looks like a nice truck, Mine is a 2014 sport with real low miles as it am retired.
But Online, that turns me off, every one I haev bought, I drove first , then fight about the $$$$ after if I like it.
I like the color of the seats, Black gets old.
Good luck on the hunt, that's 1/2 the fun, though the wife just hates it.
My wife is one of those that, when she sees something she wants, she announces it loudly.

Zaraspook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So please don't tear me up if this isn't allowed. I (or a mod) will remove the post if this is somehow against the rules.

I am an old-time GM truck guy, shopping for a new/used truck and the GM stuff just isn't floating my boat any more. I'm gonna jump ship and switch brands, most likely to a RAM. I would honestly just buy brand new, but I'm an old Yankee and the RAM truck I want is over $85k, which just about makes me mess my pants.

So, in line with my cheapness, here's a truck I'm perusing, located in CA. It's a 2017 1500 Laramie Longhorn with 71,649 miles and they're asking $29,998 ; https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1C6RR7WT0HS790060

It has all the options I want, plus I really like that interior. But it's 8 years old and has a few miles. Is this something you RAM guys would be looking at, or would you pass? Thanks for any help.

View attachment 541490
View attachment 541495
View attachment 541491

View attachment 541492
You can get this one and the you can be the richest guy in the graveyard, Or go to Dave Smioth in Kellog Idaho and get a great deal on a new truck.