Looking to possibly buy a new hemi etorque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been out of the ram game for about 3 years. I am in talks of possibly buying a new truck. 5.7 ram with etorque. What should I be looking out for and any info would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit hesitant just because of the etorque

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
etorque works fine, find the truck you want and enjoy

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't touch etorque with a 10ft pole. Its junk all around.
Give it a zero with NO qualifier. Kool.
I have an E-torque, and love it . 100% 0K and NO issues.
If you had a problem, what was it. If it is because you heard of a problem that someone else had, but have NO experience with them, then ?????????

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
eTorque is nothing but problems, just another futile way for manufacture to appease the epa.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're buying used, I'd go 5.7 no etorque with 3.92. I'm not fond of start stop. Most of my driving is long distance and not city and I'm not trying to save a few cents. No additional equipment to worry about either.

Your situation could be completely different. Good luck. The hunt is half the fun so take your time and do your homework. These things are too expensive to have regrets.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
On my 3rd Hemi. 2017 non eTorque, 2019 non eTorque, (current) 2022 eTorque. First 2 are still in the family. No issues with either, 80k and 50k miles respectively. 22 eTorque is rolling up on 20k w/No issues.

1) you can disable the start/start with a push of a button that’s in thumbs reach of the shifter knob. S.S. also doesn’t operate when in tow/haul or manual shift modes. It’s tied to the cabin temperature setting so it automatically restarts the engine when the temp difference inside the cabin reaches a certain spread between your settings and ambient.

2) it is a little jerky (at least mine is) when accelerating from dead stop. Even when S.S. Is disabled.

3) eTorque is about more than the stop/start. It applies additional torque to the engine under certain load conditions. It has regenerative braking which helps recharge the 48v battery and assists in slowing the vehicle.

I didn’t want it when shopping for my 22 but ended up with it. I’m not necessarily a fan but not a hater either now that I’ve been driving one.

If buying pre-owned stay away from the early 19s. I personally wouldn’t buy one built before March 2019. Our 19 was built in April 19 and it hasn’t had the cracked rear window frame or any water leaks that so many others have. If buying new, you’re getting the eTorque regardless. They stopped building non-eTorque in mid 22.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What good is E-torque driving down the road at 75?
Gives you that sense of mechanical superiority? :33::Big Laugh: I personally have non E torque VVT motor, no E junkola, not want all that added stuff, but that is me. Been reports of issues, but also reports of 100% reliability, non issues. Kinda like a toss of the coin. Sometimes U get that late Friday night built truck, lol.

MJCHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
On my second E-torque - no issues, as someone stated before more about the stop and start. There is a button to turn off but you must hit it everytime you restart. To be honest, I basically ignore it and you can control it by how much pressure you put on the brake peddle.

Marusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
My loaded Longhorn has E-TORQUE, as you can see from my license plate. I have no complaint about that system. My two regrets are getting Ramboxes and the panorama sunroof. The plastic Ramboxes are sexy but condemn you and future owners to hever mounting a shell, a camper, a ladder rack or a one-piece cover. The sunroof adds a brutal amount of heat to the interior even closed, because it has a black sunlight-absorbing lining. Combined with the minimal AC it's not really survivable here in the tropics (Virginia). I stuffed some silver bubble wrap insulation between the glass and shade. I also had the optional TSB applied to improve the AC. E-torque is a far smoother start-stop system than one using the 12V starter motor, if you happen to do city driving. There's no way to know whether it improves mileage. The battery will last longer than the truck, since it is dumbed-down to discharge only 60%. The one horrible error the engineers made was not allowing the E-TORQUE system to do the first start of a driving cycle, only the 2nd and subsequent. When your battery is dead, and this is a common problem, you should be able to engage the alternate starting capability of the E-TORQUE system instead of being broken down in a 130-degree truck.

ghostnumberone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-torque
Been out of the ram game for about 3 years. I am in talks of possibly buying a new truck. 5.7 ram with etorque. What should I be looking out for and any info would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit hesitant just because of the etorque
I have a 2022 coming up on 12K miles. No issues, but in my mind I wonder about starter life and battery life. I do turn it off most of the time, but you can also control it with the brake pressure. Overall I love my truck but dont like my dealer, so I went across town to another that has great service. The old saying goes, sales dept sells the first truck and the service dept sells the rest!

ScRAMaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a 22 1500 limited with the etorque and it has 10k miles and works just fine. The etorque only applies at launch which is where the somewhat jerky feeling comes from. I think I read that there is a extra 150 ftlb of torque to assist with towing and/or to get you moving off the line. The start stop function from the etorque is super quiet compaired to other vehicles. I do not mind it and forget its there sometimes. Let up on the break pedal to go engine quietly starts and off you go. I do turn it off while pulling into the garage just to make sure it doesn't turn off the engine in tight spots. 1st time Ram / truck owner and I love it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
… The sunroof adds a brutal amount of heat to the interior even closed, ……
The Sun is pretty hot so it would stand to reason that adding such a thing to the roof will add significant heat to the vehicle interior.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So here is my thoughts on any e- torque engine. If you are going to keep it for 5 years or so and then sell the truck, I say go for it.
If you are like me and keep cars and trucks until the wheels fall off, I say stay the heck away from it.
Here is how I see it, new e-torque batteries at TODAY’s prices are $17,500 to buy them. I am not sure what it costs to install them. Let’s round off the price to $2500 for installation for conversion sake. Total battles plus installation, 20k.
A truck is like most other vehicles, they devalue with time. At 7-8 years they are generally worth half of what you bought it new for new.
Consider yourself as as a shopper, you see a 7 year old truck, what goes through your mind?
The shopper thinks, “Nice truck, but in a few years I will need to put out $20k for batteries.” (At todays prices)
The shopper thinks, “No, I do t think so. A much wiser thing to do is use that $20k and buy a new truck.” It appears that the e-torque truck depreciates A LOT faster than other regular vehicles.
So e-torques vehicle are throw away vehicles, as I see it. I see they them as a stop gap measure only.
Just my opinion.

Had no idea the battery was that pricy, that's nuts. Glad I skipped that option!

I wonder if a guy could remove/disable the E/T and install an old school alternator instead if it came time to repair that system?

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
So here is my thoughts on any e- torque engine. If you are going to keep it for 5 years or so and then sell the truck, I say go for it.
If you are like me and keep cars and trucks until the wheels fall off, I say stay the heck away from it.
Here is how I see it, new e-torque batteries at TODAY’s prices are $17,500 to buy them. I am not sure what it costs to install them. Let’s round off the price to $2500 for installation for conversation sake. Total batteries plus installation, 20k.
The e-torque truck is like most other vehicles, they devalue with time. At 6-7 years they are generally worth half of what you bought it new for.
Consider yourself as as a used truck shopper, you see a 7 year old truck, what goes through your mind?
The shopper thinks, “Nice truck, but in a few years I will need to put out $20k for batteries.” (At todays prices)
The shopper thinks, “No, I don’t think so. A much wiser thing to do is use that $20k and buy a new truck.” It would appear that the e-torque truck might depreciate A LOT faster than other regular vehicles.
So e-torques vehicle are throw away vehicles, as I see it. I see them as a stop gap measure only.
For some thought, what would you do if you had a 10 year old truck and the battery died and the battery warranty expired? Would you buy a battery valued at more than the value of the truck, or would you buy another truck? Not many people have 20K to plunk down on a battery. Most people who bought the truck at 6-7 years would probably end up with a car loan and another loan for a battery. You would get practically nothing for your truck as a trade in.
Just my opinion.

I think you're mistaken. There's no way the battery cost that much. I think it's around $2,500 (that's assuming you can even find a new one for sale). The price you stated is more in line with full EV batteries e.g. Tesla.

BTW, I'm no fan of e-torque or any hybrid for that matter. Unfortunately, we won't be given a choice soon.

wrigley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My loaded Longhorn has E-TORQUE, as you can see from my license plate. I have no complaint about that system. My two regrets are getting Ramboxes and the panorama sunroof. The plastic Ramboxes are sexy but condemn you and future owners to hever mounting a shell, a camper, a ladder rack or a one-piece cover. The sunroof adds a brutal amount of heat to the interior even closed, because it has a black sunlight-absorbing lining. Combined with the minimal AC it's not really survivable here in the tropics (Virginia). I stuffed some silver bubble wrap insulation between the glass and shade. I also had the optional TSB applied to improve the AC. E-torque is a far smoother start-stop system than one using the 12V starter motor, if you happen to do city driving. There's no way to know whether it improves mileage. The battery will last longer than the truck, since it is dumbed-down to discharge only 60%. The one horrible error the engineers made was not allowing the E-TORQUE system to do the first start of a driving cycle, only the 2nd and subsequent. When your battery is dead, and this is a common problem, you should be able to engage the alternate starting capability of the E-TORQUE system instead of being broken down in a 130-degree truck.
Tell me more about this please? "I also had the optional TSB applied to improve the AC."

Thanks
mike