Looking to replace shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sitting at 72,000 miles in my 2017 1500 2wd and thinking I probably need to replace my OEM shocks. It's riding pretty rough, and I have attributed it to the E rated Nitto Ridge Grapplers, but I think it is more related to the shocks as I dont recall it being this bad when I had the tires installed at 25000 miles. It has been such a gradual change, I haven't really thought about it until recently.

I am looking at Bilstein 4600 or KYB Gas-A-Just. I know Bilstein is popular among the offroad crowd, but this is a 2wd and 99% of it's life is on the pavement. In the 3.5 years I've had this truck, I've had a trailer hitched to it twice, so towing isn't really a factor either. I'm looking for the best ride I can get out of it for not a lot of money. The OEM ride is what sold me on the truck over the competition, and I'd like it to be similar. I prefer smooth, but not necessarily spongy if that makes sense. I dont really want it any firmer than the OEM ride. Does anyone have experience with both of the above mentioned shocks? The KYB shocks are around $100 cheaper to do all 4 corners. While it's not a huge difference, it is 150% more for the bilsteins. I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra money for a truck that lives on the pavement. The roads around where I work, and generally speaking where I live (Houston area) arent the best. Aside from those two options, is there another manufacturer that would be worth a look? I know Monroe makes decent shocks for cars, just haven't heard anything really good about them on trucks. I'm not interested in anything like the Bil 5100 or similar, not looking to lift/level or have a really firm suspension.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have first hand with the 4600 or KYB gas-a-just in the application of Ram trucks but I have two decades of first hand experience with both on several Mitsubishi Monteros as I was central to a few enthusiast groups and did a lot of mechanic work for owners. In that application both of those are valved digressively on compression which means they set into corners early (sporty feel) and transmit a little more roughness from small bumps into the cab (expansion joints in freeways) but don't slam quite as hard on large bumps (speed bumps, railroad tracks, surface transitions, potholes) .

Again talking about the Montero platform, when comparing those two models of shock absorber the 4600's are the more firm of the two on compression. KYB's more premium MonoMax product is closer to linear than digressive so it feels softer on those small surface irregularities and then remains consistent when it's pushed hard. I don't know if the same tuning characteristics apply on Ram trucks from those two companies.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have first hand with the 4600 or KYB gas-a-just in the application of Ram trucks but I have two decades of first hand experience with both on several Mitsubishi Monteros as I was central to a few enthusiast groups and did a lot of mechanic work for owners. In that application both of those are valved digressively on compression which means they set into corners early (sporty feel) and transmit a little more roughness from small bumps into the cab (expansion joints in freeways) but don't slam quite as hard on large bumps (speed bumps, railroad tracks, surface transitions, potholes) .

Again talking about the Montero platform, when comparing those two models of shock absorber the 4600's are the more firm of the two on compression. KYB's more premium MonoMax product is closer to linear than digressive so it feels softer on those small surface irregularities and then remains consistent when it's pushed hard. I don't know if the same tuning characteristics apply on Ram trucks from those two companies.
Interesting about the MonoMax. From everything I’ve read (and some of it actually coming from a overland forum with members taking about Their application on Monteros) is that they are stiffer than the gas-a-just and the bil 4600.

If I could have it my way, I would have something that rode like a caddy generally speaking, soft and smooth, but would be firmer in turns to reduce body roll. Might be a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Surreal McCoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 twin turbo Diesel
I just did a Bilstein level kit on my 2500.
Scuttlebutt is next 8E4927B7-7218-44F4-84E0-734345B94C86.jpeg year’s models will all have Bilstein’s from the factory.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting about the MonoMax. From everything I’ve read (and some of it actually coming from a overland forum with members taking about Their application on Monteros) is that they are stiffer than the gas-a-just and the bil 4600.

In the absence of any equipment more calibrated than our butts, my brother in law and I both felt the Monomax had a more relaxed ride on normal city streets than both gas-a-just and 4600s. We had the same Montero as each other just mine was on Bilsteins and his on Monomax. His had Gas-A-Just previously. One of the other local guys did complain the Monomax were too stiff for him & went to Bilstein 5100s cross referenced from a Ford application.

KIMG0227.JPG

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
If your OEM lasted 72k, why not buy OEM...

Personally, I love the soft smooth ride I get right now in my 2017 with 35k... and I will see how long these OEMs last, I would want to KEEP my ride the way it is right now... not stiffer or harder

I would have something that rode like a caddy generally speaking, soft and smooth, but would be firmer in turns to reduce body roll

Exactly IMO

I'm not changing tire SIZE either... I'll just go with something 70k warranted

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just buy OEM and you won't have to reinvent the wheel.
Or simply go for the cheaper KYB or Gabriel and the like. shold be the same as OEM for cheap.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your OEM lasted 72k, why not buy OEM...

Personally, I love the soft smooth ride I get right now in my 2017 with 35k... and I will see how long these OEMs last, I would want to KEEP my ride the way it is right now... not stiffer or harder

Exactly IMO

I'm not changing tire SIZE either... I'll just go with something 70k warranted
I’m not sure the OEM have “lasted” that long. It’s been riding pretty bumpy for a while.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 5100's all the way around. Ride is a little firmer than stock and so far they are performing great. I like them. Fronts are adjustable, rears are standard shocks.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a 2wd 1500 there aren't height-adjustable front shocks. There are both 4600 and 5100 Bilsteins available but the coil spring is separate of the shock absorber and if a change of height is desired that's done with either a spacer or a longer spring. The minimum length of the 2wd 5100 is very slightly longer than the minimum length of the 4600 and while I don't suspect that would cause a problem on a stock height Ram, I can't say it with 100% certainty.

In other words the suspension on the front of a 2wd is significantly different from that of the 4wd and it's good to be sure of which one you're working with :)

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a 2wd 1500 there aren't height-adjustable front shocks. There are both 4600 and 5100 Bilsteins available but the coil spring is separate of the shock absorber and if a change of height is desired that's done with either a spacer or a longer spring. The minimum length of the 2wd 5100 is very slightly longer than the minimum length of the 4600 and while I don't suspect that would cause a problem on a stock height Ram, I can't say it with 100% certainty.

In other words the suspension on the front of a 2wd is significantly different from that of the 4wd and it's good to be sure of which one you're working with :)
I knew the suspension was quite different and it does not have coil overs, but didn’t realize the 5100 for 2wd were not adjustable. Thanks for that. Still not wanting a firmer shock setup, so they’re still not a contender.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I put Bilstien 4600s on my '14 4WD CC last year and I've been very pleased with them. I did the rears myself and had a shop do the fronts as I don't have the tools to safely compress the front springs.

-K

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had the Monona and Gas a just on my lowered truck, they are very firm with little give if you bounce on the bumper. I ran the gas ajusts they handled better. Currently running the excel g, softer ride, factory style shock.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
I’m not sure the OEM have “lasted” that long. It’s been riding pretty bumpy for a while.

YEAH I get it... I'm not gonna wait that long either... but you should also check other things that make for bumpy rides... bearings, ball joints, etc.

As soon as I think I'm getting bumpy I'm going straight for new shocks, I just chalk it up to something I may have to do 4 times during the trucks life.

Tires too

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had the Monona and Gas a just on my lowered truck, they are very firm with little give if you bounce on the bumper. I ran the gas ajusts they handled better. Currently running the excel g, softer ride, factory style shock.

After much research and reading reviews on various forums across multiple platforms, I went for the cheaper KYB excel-g OEM replacement twin tube shocks all around. I do not want anything that rides any stiffer than OEM, and everything I’ve read points to the gas-a-just and 4600 both being stiffer, along with anything monotube. They should be here Thursday.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sitting at 72,000 miles in my 2017 1500 2wd and thinking I probably need to replace my OEM shocks. It's riding pretty rough, and I have attributed it to the E rated Nitto Ridge Grapplers, but I think it is more related to the shocks as I dont recall it being this bad when I had the tires installed at 25000 miles. It has been such a gradual change, I haven't really thought about it until recently.

I am looking at Bilstein 4600 or KYB Gas-A-Just. I know Bilstein is popular among the offroad crowd, but this is a 2wd and 99% of it's life is on the pavement. In the 3.5 years I've had this truck, I've had a trailer hitched to it twice, so towing isn't really a factor either. I'm looking for the best ride I can get out of it for not a lot of money. The OEM ride is what sold me on the truck over the competition, and I'd like it to be similar. I prefer smooth, but not necessarily spongy if that makes sense. I dont really want it any firmer than the OEM ride. Does anyone have experience with both of the above mentioned shocks? The KYB shocks are around $100 cheaper to do all 4 corners. While it's not a huge difference, it is 150% more for the bilsteins. I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra money for a truck that lives on the pavement. The roads around where I work, and generally speaking where I live (Houston area) arent the best. Aside from those two options, is there another manufacturer that would be worth a look? I know Monroe makes decent shocks for cars, just haven't heard anything really good about them on trucks. I'm not interested in anything like the Bil 5100 or similar, not looking to lift/level or have a really firm suspension.
Bilstein 4600 are by far the best buy. Love them on my 2017 Sport.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After much research and reading reviews on various forums across multiple platforms, I went for the cheaper KYB excel-g OEM replacement twin tube shocks all around. I do not want anything that rides any stiffer than OEM, and everything I’ve read points to the gas-a-just and 4600 both being stiffer, along with anything monotube. They should be here Thursday.

Let us know how it rides. I'm in a similar spot as you....2wd truck with about 70k on it and it rides rough, looking at shock options. I was looking at the excel-g as well.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let us know how it rides. I'm in a similar spot as you....2wd truck with about 70k on it and it rides rough, looking at shock options. I was looking at the excel-g as well.
Will do. They will be here tomorrow according to the amazon notification I got.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bilstein 4600 are by far the best buy. Love them on my 2017 Sport.
Decided to go another route. I did not want anything that rode stiffer than stock. The ride was the primary reason I bought the truck. After a ton of reading, the 4600 and gas-a-just appear to both be a stiffer ride.

Soaringcook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi v8 5.7
KYB premium line will give you a really smooth ride, better than OEM. I personally have billsteins 5100 and they are firmer, but thats just my personal preference. KYB prices are alot more appealing to me though. They make a quality product for not a lot. But whatever you do, stay away from skyjacker shocks. They are super spongy.