Looks like I'm never buying RAM again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought the same until i compared $$$ & towing before buying the Rebel. The PW was 12k more and towed 2000 less. The extra cash weighed in a little higher than the towing capacity. I wish the Rebel 3/4 ton had been around then....I would have spent the extra cash.

sailorboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
I have driven a v6 with a turbo charger. It had better torque, and got off the line better than the v8. They can put twin turbos on them and really blow the v8 out of the water. Don't judge a horse by its tail. Good Luck

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There's nothing like a HEMI V8 no matter how many turbos you put on it!
I have a wild 2015 VW Golf R AWD 2.0 turbo. It's in a different world all it's own with all of the mods I have done to it and yet I like my truck with it's V8 better.

armyvet25

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 1969 383ci
I have driven a v6 with a turbo charger. It had better torque, and got off the line better than the v8. They can put twin turbos on them and really blow the v8 out of the water. Don't judge a horse by its tail. Good Luck
agree, like to see someone talk me out of my BB 383 for a 4-6 turbo whistler :happy175:

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, on a whim, I headed over to RAM's website to check out trucks (I like to "window shop" occasionally) - and I was sorely disappointed to discover that they're no longer going to produce any V8 trucks... I hate anything that is 6- or 4- cylinder and refuse to buy anything with those type of engines. So, needless to say, unless I go with something used, or they decide to start producing V8s again, I'll never be buying a RAM truck again. That sucks, because they HAD (IMHO) the best trucks on the market. The 2024 TRX is way overpriced as well - and it's going to be the last model with a V8.

That being said, what are your thoughts on this?
WTF do you hate engines? WTF does the number of cylinders matter? Fuel goes in, rotational force comes out. In 20 years there won't be any engines at all. Maybe you should buy a horse.

armyvet25

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 1969 383ci
WTF do you hate engines? WTF does the number of cylinders matter? Fuel goes in, rotational force comes out. In 20 years there won't be any engines at all. Maybe you should buy a horse.
you obvisly only buy vehicles to get from point A to point B or for some other utilitarian reason, some people have a relationship with their vehicles love affair if you will, kinda like sports, fishing, camping or other likes. Your ignorint comment assumes everyone should think like you. Everyone is different.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They will still be trying to build up the infrastructure in 20 years and far behind schedule. ICE will still be around or we will be reverting to caves for shelter.

JoeFriday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Hurricane SO
I don't own a RAM.... never have. Almost bought one new in 2018, but then saw the hundreds of posts about the HEMI ENGINE TICK... and wanted nothing to do with it, so bought a Ford F150.... my first FORD of any make, ever.

It has been a very nice truck - love it for the most part. Have the 5.0 Coyote v8....

But... am about ready to buy a new truck, and am finally interested in a RAM for the exact opposite reason you (the OP) say you will never buy another one.... because the Hemi is finally gone!

Not saying the Hemi is 'bad'....obviously it has been a huge overall success with a huge following of fans. I am just OCD enough that the thought of an engine going 'clackety-clack' would drive me bananas.

So... as you must be well aware: The new 3.0 Hurricane twin turbo, standard output, outperforms the Hemi on all fronts..... significant increase in HP and torque.... and better on gas. What's not to like?

I drove one the other day, a Laramie - see my first post in this forum - and I was VERY IMPRESSED...... WAY more punchy than my F150 V8..... and, it wasn't just at low revs..... it was also a virtual rocket passing on the highway when I test drove it..... and quiet running as a church mouse.

People can miss the v8 rumble all they want.... I get it..... but I am more interested in performance and truck specs than the ego stroke of people wondering where that loud noise is coming from. Just me....

So, I am FINALLY seriously looking at RAM as a contender for a new truck. I have to ferret out the specs of a Laramie vs a F150 Lariat.... and cost. Right off the bat, I can see that a 2025 RAM comparably equipped, is going to cost at least $1,500 more than the just released 2024 Ford F150 Lariat.... and, the Lariat will give me a few more options than the Laramie for that cheaper price..... but, I just kind like the interior and looks of the RAM a bit better than the Ford....so, I will be poking around this forum till I make up my mind.

Sad that RAM has REALLY jacked up the price of their trucks for this 2025 model year mild refresh.

I wouldn't be writing off the RAM over them ditching the Hemi, though.... the new engine outperforms the Hemi in significant ways.

jib88fer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Ford 200 inline 6 had seven main bearings. Bulletproof. Chrysler built the 225 slant 6 and you couldn't kill it if you wanted to. BMW builds the straight 6 into an awesome powerhouse in their M series. The inline 6 is a smooth-running platform no matter who builds it. More power, torque and fuel economy.
What's not to like?

Chris XS29L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
The Ford 200 inline 6 had seven main bearings. Bulletproof. Chrysler built the 225 slant 6 and you couldn't kill it if you wanted to. BMW builds the straight 6 into an awesome powerhouse in their M series. The inline 6 is a smooth-running platform no matter who builds it. More power, torque and fuel economy.
What's not to like?
The Ford 200 and 300 inline 6 were ultra slow ditto the 225 Slant 6 the V8's blew them away in performance,towing..

Dodge V8's were smooth,powerful and the 6 was just for low rent cheap trucks or vans..You seriously couldnt move up a hill with a Slant 6 in a Van or Truck ditto the Ford 6 and Gm inline 6's..

My Uncle had a pluming company and always had V8 Dodge Vans and trucks,sadly he caved and got taken by a salesmen and bought a Slant 6 Van,that van was useless,it took more gas than a V8 and couldnt move..

Ditto Ford vans/trucks with the 6 as we knew another company where he bought Ford's.

The Hurricane 3.0 only has power because of the TWO TURBO'S..add TWO Turbo's to the 5.7 Hemi and it's 800hp if thats what you want.

Dodge V8's at that time were more reliable than the slant 6..318,360,383,400,440 were reliable tough engines..You hear stories of Ford 300-6,GM 250-6 and Chrysler 198-6 and 225-6 because they used them as daily drivers and not for work..Usually those owners drove slow and babied them.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Dodge V8's at that time were more reliable than the slant 6..318,360,383,400,440 were reliable tough engines..You hear stories of Ford 300-6,GM 250-6 and Chrysler 198-6 and 225-6 because they used them as daily drivers and not for work..Usually those owners drove slow and babied them.

Nobody drove a Chrysler when I was young, probably because there wasn't a dealer nearby. Plenty of farm trucks had the Ford or GM six cylinder with a manual transmission, though, and they sure AF weren't babied. We moved a lot of hay wagons with a GM 6 cylinder / 4M. The automatics of the day didn't do those motors in favors in the power department, but as long as you rowed your own they would do what you asked of them. Of course 55mph nationwide speed limit certainly assisted in that, you'd be way under powered by today's environment.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Same is true in boats. Take a test drive. You might be surprised

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Oh hell, the first "truck" I drove was a 59 Chevy 2 ton with the "big" 235 cub 6 against a granny geared 4 speed. I used to dread driving that some times. Especially when my father would order 4 ton of fertilizer in 80# sacks and I'd get the lovely job of loading and then driving home with. With a couple of hills requiring that granny gear and hoping it was low enough to pull the worst hill .

I have to wonder what my next truck will be at 72 with my 19 only having 50,000 miles I expect maybe one more vehicle. The loss of the V8 in the half tonners is bad enough but what bothers me even more is the lack of choice in the interiors. I have never liked black interiors and still detest them. It took me the longest time to find the light colored interior in my 19 that I got used in 21 with 33,000 miles, trading in my 15 with the eco-diesel and 99,000 miles. Still miss that little engine.
So with my dislike of black interiors and bucket seats and liking the little diesels then V8's looks like i'm just s out of luck.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't get attached to the vehicles I drive. That's not to say there aren't several I really liked, my current ram truck being one of them. These days I usually buy used and pay cash. I buy based on cost, not payment (the dealership salesmen have never been able to understand that).

I just can't justify new price for a truck so my 2017 classic will just have to do for a few years, at least. That will give me plenty of time to see how these new engines work out when I'm ready for another used one. I wouldn't hesitate to go with one of the new turbo 6's. Better than that would be the new ramcharger (I definitely couldn't justify that price new). For me, it's all about dependability, horse power, torque, price, and whether I can make a trip in it without feeling crippled when I get out of the truck, not what particular engine it has in it.