Loose steering - pitman need replacing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mason J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I have a '97 Ram 1500 lifted 8'' with 35'' tires. The steering has at least 6'' of play in it. I heard it could be the pitman bar. Anyone know of any other thing it could be? I've also heard its just because its a lifted truck.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Could be a few things.. I'd join the first thing I would check would be the steering box/gear for play.. running that large of tire with a stock box with any miles would create play not to mention playing hard.. after that a full front end shake down would be in order in my opinion ie.. ball joints tie rod ends etc.. with a 35 you are gonna wear down parts and in a hurry.. there are a few options to upgrade steering as well.. I can't remember what they are called maybe someone else will chip in bud..

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Look into the replacing your y steering linkage with the HD steering linkage from a 98.5-99 2500 if this hasn't already been done. Search for T steering upgrade or HD steering upgrade. This should help you find some posts on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhylman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes get the HD t setup from the 98 99 models I'd also recommend looking up 'Rock Solid' Ram Truck Steering ! is 60 bucks and fixes the 2 to 3 inches of play in the steering column and I've also added the heavy metal frame stabilizer and my truck turns on a dime like brand new with zero play.