Losing power steering fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2004 1500 Ram Hemi

I have had a power steering fluid leak that is slowly getting progressively worse (the puddle on driveway is getting bigger and I'm adding fluid about once a month).

I have inspected the power steering pump area and felt all around it....no fluid. I see a drop or two of fluid clinging to the front corner of the skid plate underneath and I'm pretty sure it's power steering fluid.

I'm just before pulling the skid plate to get a better look but want to find out what to look for and where. What is the most likely reason or area for a leak?

Any and all help appreciated!!

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure it isn't transmission fluid? Have you been having to add any fluids?

Best thing to do is clean everything if it isn't clean so you can see what is leaking.

Edit - Oh yea, in my experience if power steering leaks it is usually from one of the hoses. If you're sure its power steering fluid, clean off the hoses and check 'em carefully. Usually they leak around the fittings unless something has abraded them.

OP
OP
rtread

rtread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your reply. At this point, I have no reason to suspect a transmission fluid leak....fluids checked regularly and never had a problem there. The only fluid I'm losing is power steering fluid.

With my limited knowledge of the system, I'm wondering why I am seeing fluid dripping from the skid plate? That's the best clue I have at this time and it's why I'm about to pull the skid plate to see what I can see.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It may be leaking from the rack and pinion. Dripping on to the skid plate. One of the hose clamps on mine failed. I replaced the clamp and have had no more issues. GL

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
How does your steering rack feel?

The first indication of my dad's steering rack going out was stiff spots in the movement of the wheel, then came the leak....Oh God the leak...

OP
OP
rtread

rtread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may be leaking from the rack and pinion. Dripping on to the skid plate. One of the hose clamps on mine failed. I replaced the clamp and have had no more issues. GL

Thanks ATXHEMI and Hook 'em HORNS!! I'll get that skid plate off ASAP....I have an idea the hose clamp you mentioned is the problem....

OP
OP
rtread

rtread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does your steering rack feel?

The first indication of my dad's steering rack going out was stiff spots in the movement of the wheel, then came the leak....Oh God the leak...

dodge dude94.....the steering feels fine, no stiff spots. Thanks for your reply.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
we have a history of power steering fluid leaks. I fixed mine with simple stop leak fluid. worked like a charm and havent had to add fluid since.

OP
OP
rtread

rtread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
we have a history of power steering fluid leaks. I fixed mine with simple stop leak fluid. worked like a charm and havent had to add fluid since.

The stop leak fluid sounds interesting. Are there any known bad effects from using it?

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't use stop leak. Fix the problem. Stop leak (especially in cooling systems) is no good.

I recently had a leak on mine. I had a crimp style clamp fail on one of the cooler lines. $2 clamp and 10 minutes and done! As stated above, check the inner tie rod boots. They like to fill with ps fluid and only leak a little at a time...until they are full.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
On my dads 02 5.9 we had a leak coming from the pump itself. The steering felt fine though, no stiff spots. Replaced the pump and problem solved. Till my dads drunk ass ran it with no fluid then ran it too weeks with the fluid over flowing .. it's already going out.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
sounds like the rack and pinion is leaking or a line to it. The power steering system is easy. Fluid goes from the reservoir to the pump. From the pump through the high pressure line to the rack and then back to the reservoir through the return line.

OP
OP
rtread

rtread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds like the rack and pinion is leaking or a line to it. The power steering system is easy. Fluid goes from the reservoir to the pump. From the pump through the high pressure line to the rack and then back to the reservoir through the return line.

thx for responding, iSlacker816. I'm going to pull the skid plate tomorrow and have a look- see. I can see now the system is relatively easy. I've already learned a lot on it here on this forum. thx

OP
OP
rtread

rtread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: Found where the fluid leak is. The pressure and return line fittings at the point they screw on to gear body. These are metal lines, not hoses so the hose clamps won't work. I was thinking of tightening the nuts but my Haynes book says if available, use a "flare-wrench" on these fittings. I'm not familiar with flare wrenches so I'm pondering using regular open end wrench. Anyone?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're flare fittings and need to be pretty tight.
A regular open end may round them off because they are softer than steel too.
A flare wrench just wraps a little further around the nut so it grabs more peaks to torque.
Like a box end with just enough of an opening to get it over the tubing, then slide onto the nut.

OP
OP
rtread

rtread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're flare fittings and need to be pretty tight.
A regular open end may round them off because they are softer than steel too.
A flare wrench just wraps a little further around the nut so it grabs more peaks to torque.
Like a box end with just enough of an opening to get it over the tubing, then slide onto the nut.

Thx NYCruiser! Good info for this driveway mechanic. Appreciate it.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep. More surface area to grab on.

Attachments

• 0900c152801c05b9.gif
    0900c152801c05b9.gif
    234.1 KB · Views: 54