Lower T Stat question or concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I joined the the masses when I redone my engine and went with a 180 t-stat over the recommended factory one. I have only about 2 thousand miles so far and I intermittently get an bank 2 operating in lower level code. From what I I have gathered it’s the south end 02 sensor or lower sensor giving a reading of the cat that the pcm is not happy with. It’s new cats both sides and all new Mopar sensors. Could it be caused by the engine not getting to proper operating temps therefore causing the fuel to combust improperly or at the right temps and not getting a clean burn?

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
mmmmmm Possibly? My wife inherited a 94 Dakota with a 318 that ran great but got terrible milage and ran really cool. I had to block off the radiator with cardboard to get it up to temp where it would lean out. I had everything to do the thermostat change when the frame rusted in half at the A pillars so I never got to actually test it.

But if your o2 sensor is reading low, I believe its reading rich.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I joined the the masses when I redone my engine and went with a 180 t-stat over the recommended factory one. I have only about 2 thousand miles so far and I intermittently get an bank 2 operating in lower level code. From what I I have gathered it’s the south end 02 sensor or lower sensor giving a reading of the cat that the pcm is not happy with. It’s new cats both sides and all new Mopar sensors. Could it be caused by the engine not getting to proper operating temps therefore causing the fuel to combust improperly or at the right temps and not getting a clean burn?
Yes, my hemi mechanic said not to do it because it wouldn't allow the engine to get to the proper operating temp.
Said people didn't know what the hell they were doing by doing that.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I put my OEM stat back in will do an update in a few miles