Mag-Hytec, up's/downs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Okay, so it looks like I'll be getting my rear end rebuilt within the week... it's very unfortunate. I'm thinking of having my shop throw a Mag-Hytec diff cover on while they are back there. I would like to here from folks who have had personal experience with them (trans pans/diff covers) and let me know what consensus is and if they are really worth it? I like the way they look, but I'm strict on function over form and if it's not going to perform or enhance my truck, performance wise... I don't want it.

All help and opinions are appreciated.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
From what I understand they hold more fluid and some are vented. Both are beneficial things to have. I definitely want one for my truck when I check my diff. I would say go for it dude.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Definitely a worthy upgrade. They aren't vented but they are ribbed (for her pleasure?) for better cooling and as stated, they offer more capacity and also a drain for easier fluid changed without removing the cover. They are thicker than the stock, stamped cover too which provides a little more rigidity to the housing.

If you have an aftermarket sway bar, you might have clearance issues. I think the Belltech would be the only one that would have problems tho.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pros- they look good, they hold more fluid

Cons- $$$, an they only look good when your under the truck LOL.

I have the deep trans pan after smoking a rebuilt trans after 6500 miles. Being my trucks dropped 4/6 an not lifted on 35s it makes it hard to be seen if I had the diff cover.

These trans can take all the extra cooling help we can throw at them to keep temps down an help the trans live longer. Why not the rear too?

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
IF your truck is just a daily driver, I'm unsure it worth the $$$.

However if you tow or haul loads then, as stated above, the additional fluid and the ribs' added cooling capacity will definitely help extending the life of the rear-end with better lubrication capacity and longer lubricant life.

My 2 cents.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're not towing/hauling heavy loads, I wouldn't waste the money on one. You'll never know how much longer you extended the gear oil unless you take oil samples and have them analyzed. I'd just stick to the regular service schedule and use the money you save from buying the cover to buy a quality synthetic gear oil and still have about $200 left over.