Major Faliure :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IDJeepGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
So, I was on my way home, in my 01 Ram 1500 ORE, the other day and when letting off the gas I heard a whine. After a couple times that whine turned into a growl. After that a clunk, bang, grind and the back wheels locked up and then freed up and I coasted to the side of the road.
I looked back down the road and there was a trail of fluid, at the start of the trail was my rear driveshaft. Retrieved my driveshaft, got back in my truck and put her in 4wd to get off the main road and NOTHING. Turns out the pinion nut came off, the driveshaft whipping around under the truck broke the overdrive case and the transfer case was sitting loose under the truck held only by the linkage. The rear pinion bearing got destroyed and the ring and pinion ate each other.
A trip to the junkyard scored me another OD unit and it bolted right up and the Tcase is mounted and seems fine. Went to pull the carrier to replace the R&P and cannot get it to come out for the life of me. I am assuming (for what that's worth) that something happened to the carrier besides the scaring from the pinion that has caused irreparable damage. So I am now looking at a replacement axel housing with a good carrier. Around my area there are NO ORE rams. So another 1500 axel is what it is, I know I'll loose my limited slip but I'll drop in a quick auto locker to help hide that fact.
When I was ordering seals and wheel bearings there were options for 2 different size pinion seals (mine is the bigger) and 2 different wheel bearings (mine is the smaller). So here I go assuming again. The pinion seal is determined by the pinion as the housing is the same. Second, the bearing size is determined by the axel size the larger being for the 2500 applications, which would also be a different carrier.

So my questions.
1. Am I correct that all the housings are the same cuts? Any housing out of a 1500 should bolt right in and work fine with my rear yolk and new bearings/seals.

2. What is the carrier size I should be looking for to hold the new 4.10:1 gears that I have to go into. 3.55 and up? 3.92?

I have found many good answers on this forum and I know there are a lot of well informed people on here and there is someone with the knowledge just waiting to be shared.

Thanks in advance.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Did you have any trouble pulling out the Rear Axles
Keep the axles standing up, once they are pulled

With a 4 wheel drive vehicle, both the front & rear axle, must have the same ratio

Ring & pinion gears must be a matching set & setting the
PRE LOAD should be done by someone that knows what they are doing

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357