Manual vs auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coker543

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New member here, made the account to get everyone's opinion on the topic. I currently have an 01 reg cab 1500 v6 2wd and am looking to upgrade. I found an 06 1500 reg cab 4wd 4.7 with a manual transmission. The auto vs manual is all I'm really debating on. I have driven manuals and enjoyed it but haven't really owned one myself. From the people I've asked there are 3 kinds of people, people who hate it, take it or leave it, or love it. I know I can get a little more gas mileage if I'm easy on the pedal and can feel like I'm in more control but what are some other pros/cons? What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
My truck has a NV4500. NV4500s are known for fifth gear issues and must use a costly oil due to synchronizer material. That truck you looked at; I'm guessing it's a NV3500, so do some research on known issues.

I'm not hard on clutches despite regularly pulling, but I've had two replaced due to collateral damage from either leaking ***** cylinder or throwout bearings. That's over~250K mileage, though, so that's not bad. I lost fifth gear about midway in the mileage. The truck I had before that (2G 1500) had a Getrag (I think), and saw the same duty but never had issues..go figure.

I don't know you'd have better fuel economy, given AT have lock-up torque converters and overdrive. My 3G 2500 4X4 Hemi gets ~12.5 MPG unladen on the highway. Judging from the thread about MPG, that seems consistent with others. I'm pretty sure the same setup with an AT would do that well.

Getting stuck with a MT means you might ride the clutch trying to free yourself, and if you're rocking to get momentum, an AT responds quicker.

Living in an area with lots of traffic and lights isn't fun with a MT.

Last thing to consider is the cost of rebuilding. I don't know you'd come out better on rebuilding a MT, and it seems there's less places doing it.

Pros: I think you might have less chance of people wanting to borrow your truck or steal it with an MT.

Driving is more engaging with a MT, given the need for shifting. Personally, I like being attenuated to my truck rather than in a sensory deprivation tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coker543

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the quick reply! In terms of repair and rebuilding I'm not extremely concerned about price and rebuilding (I have a mechanic that has built 3 transmissions for my families, one had an issue after revuilding but the mechanic fixed the issue for free), and my boss at work is still on his first clutch at 330000 believe it or not. He said to be either on the clutch or off it most of the time. The traffic I don't think will be an issue as the only time I'm in real top and go traffic is when I go to the city (never more than twice a month). And off road isn't a big thing for me, granted I never had a 4wd to go in . But from driving my friends mt cars I loved feeling more in control, I'm mostly scared I will get tired of shifting gears all the time and be stuck with a truck I don't like much for a few years. Thank you again for the reply!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you truly love cars and trucks, the act of shifting gears will NEVER get old. I'd rather be in stop and go traffic all day working the clutch and shifter than trying to force my eyes to stay open in an automatic. I've owned at least 1 manual vehicle consistently since I was 16. Never once got tired of working a clutch or shifting.