Max cargo weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
And this right here is why I tend to err on the side of caution. Sure, they likely will never use that clause on you if something happens and you file a claim, but it DOES give them the legal right to walk away from you and deny your claim, if they so choose. Does it happen often? I'm betting no. But if you have a 16-18k 5'er behind a 2500, and kill somebody in an accident because you were speeding, then the possibility exists that you could be on your own and out a truck/5'er/a LOT of cash.
So even without being overloaded just speeding and causing a fatality your insurance could walk away and deny your claim.
Nobody has shown any proof of anyone being held liable simply from being overloaded.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Over the years I've seen threads like this go dozens of pages and it's always the same old story. The word "could" gets thrown around endlessly.... Hell, a cow COULD fall through my ceiling and kill me before I finish typing this post.

Yes, your insurance company COULD deny you but no one ever can produce a concrete incident of this happening. Once you're in court anything is possible but in general your insurance must/will cover you unless you're committing a serious crime (overloaded as a consumer or speeding don't come close to meeting that bar). The insurance company would generally have to prove you set out to defraud them (staging an accident, etc.) or you'd have to be willfully committing a felony.... like a high-speed chase, etc. Joe six-pack being an idiot and towing a few cases of beer over his limits en route to the campsite isn't even close to being denied by insurance. The whole concept of insurance is to protect you when you do something dumb.

Far more likely than insurance denying you is, if you have assets, getting sued above your policy limits. I used to serve court papers and saw this all the time. Basically, if you have a pot to pee in you'd better be sure to have A LOT of insurance.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Over the years I've seen threads like this go dozens of pages and it's always the same old story. The word "could" gets thrown around endlessly.... Hell, a cow COULD fall through my ceiling and kill me before I finish typing this post.

Yes, your insurance company COULD deny you but no one ever can produce a concrete incident of this happening. Once you're in court anything is possible but in general your insurance must/will cover you unless you're committing a serious crime (overloaded as a consumer or speeding don't come close to meeting that bar). The insurance company would generally have to prove you set out to defraud them (staging an accident, etc.) or you'd have to be willfully committing a felony.... like a high-speed chase, etc. Joe six-pack being an idiot and towing a few cases of beer over his limits en route to the campsite isn't even close to being denied by insurance. The whole concept of insurance is to protect you when you do something dumb.

Far more likely than insurance denying you is, if you have assets, getting sued above your policy limits. I used to serve court papers and saw this all the time. Basically, if you have a pot to pee in you'd better be sure to have A LOT of insurance.
Pretty much my exact thoughts on these types of posts!

The insurance policy sets certain limits to how much they will pay out regardless of the situation. If your policy only provides $100,000 in liability and you get sued for $10,000,000....well guess what, if you lose the lawsuit you are responsible for paying $9,900,000 and not the insurance company. Maybe that is where some of the thoughts are coming from regarding the insurance company not covering you. There are very specific limits defined in policies regarding how much the insurance companies are required to pay and it's not some unlimited amount they will cover.