MDS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daktoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a new to me 2016 5.7 reg cab shortbox 2wd. The truck shutters when driving down the road at multiple speeds. Originally I thought itnwas the torque converter. But if I shift out of D and just into 8th it goes away. Leads me to believe it's the MDS. Is there a fix?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
MDS shuts off cylinders, you can bypass it by driving with tow/haul button engaged. Try driving that way and see if problem goes away. If yes, you are on right track. If not, something else. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

Daktoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried the tow/haul ,doesn't do anything. If I shift it with the controls out od D and into 8th so it doesn't go into eco I have no vibration/ doesn't sound/feel like my old ecodiesel

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea your going to want to tune out mds we all do its **** yours is a 2016 think you need to have your PCM un locked tho? Im sure others will comment.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Tried the tow/haul ,doesn't do anything. If I shift it with the controls out od D and into 8th so it doesn't go into eco I have no vibration/ doesn't sound/feel like my old ecodiesel
That's the only way to disable MDS on a 4th gen 1500. Tow/haul doesn't do it. I will say that on the 2017 Rebel I used to own the MDS was very obvious like what you're describing, which I got into the habit of disabling every time I drove that truck.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea your going to want to tune out mds we all do its **** yours is a 2016 think you need to have your PCM un locked tho? Im sure others will comment.
So worth it to disable the mds? Does it help engine last longer?
I was going to buy a tuner to do this.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I have a new to me 2016 5.7 reg cab shortbox 2wd. The truck shutters when driving down the road at multiple speeds. Originally I thought itnwas the torque converter. But if I shift out of D and just into 8th it goes away. Leads me to believe it's the MDS. Is there a fix?
With a 2016, what's the mileage?
Perhaps also consider doing a transmission filter and fluid change, too!

The other thing to consider is installing the @caulk04 transmission cooler bypass valve as well.
This is an invaluable item that really helps to keep the temps in check with your 8spd transmission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So worth it to disable the mds? Does it help engine last longer?
I was going to buy a tuner to do this.
A lot of people think MDS contributes to cam and lifter issues but there's no real evidence to support that. Engines without MDS have the same cam/lifter issues as engines with MDS. I disable it because it sounds annoying to me when it's running on four cylinders. On our current Limited it wouldn't be noticeable if I hadn't upgraded to a Carven muffler.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With a 2016, what's the mileage?
Perhaps also consider doing a transmission filter and fluid change, too!

The other thing to consider is installing the @caulk04 transmission cooler bypass valve as well.
This is an invaluable item that really helps to keep the temps in check with your 8spd transmission.
I was thinking of doing this. The filter can be changed in these 8 speed?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Absolutely!

The stock set up has the filter included with the pan assembly.
Just ensure it comes with a new pan gasket, too!

You can either go stock OEM or go with an aftermarket PPE pan and replaceable filter that holds about 2 more quarts of fluid vs OEM.

Either way, changing ones fluid and filter is essential to the overall longevity of your transmissions life.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Canadian Diesal in Loydminster is the cheapest place in Canada to buy the PPE pan,if you want a heavy duty aluminium pan that holds more fluid.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Canadian Diesal in Loydminster is the cheapest place in Canada to buy the PPE pan,if you want a heavy duty aluminium pan that holds more fluid.

Yes a guy in my ram group just bought one of these pans from these guys and had a local shop do the work. Guess im ordering one from them.
Is the raw basically the same as the black ect? Or will the black get rid of the exhaust heat some?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes a guy in my ram group just bought one of these pans from these guys and had a local shop do the work. Guess im ordering one from them.
Is the raw basically the same as the black ect? Or will the black get rid of the exhaust heat some?
I think the differances would come down to your choice of colours more then anything