Morimoto headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My lights work great. I have had ZERO issues with the lights themselves. The output is far better than my stock quads were. I do however have the blemish where the sun has 'burned' the plastic or whatever you want to call it.

So having a burnt/melted spot doesn't count as an issue?

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My lights work great. I have had ZERO issues with the lights themselves. The output is far better than my stock quads were. I do however have the blemish where the sun has 'burned' the plastic or whatever you want to call it. I have not been 'tearing down' posts. What I have done is responded to critical posts, mostly from people who do not own the lights themselves, with my own real world experience being an owner and daily user of the lights. I like to think I have done so in a pretty mild manner, without being a jerk. Am I happy that they have burnt or whatever the term may be? No. Am I satisfied with the response I received? Yes. As with anything, $hit happens. I installed these in late May and so far, I have been very happy with the output. I actually feel comfortable driving my truck at night with these lights. I did not feel that way before.

I think the term you are searching for is “melted”. Being dismissive of the problem does not lessen it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So having a burnt/melted spot doesn't count as an issue?

If you read my post - I said "I have had ZERO issues with the lights themselves" - meaning the output, functionality, etc. Yes, I have a spot on mine just like others that has burnt or whatever. It is roughly an inch long and 1/2 inch wide, on both housings, on that part that inclines up. The vendor is addressing it, which is really all you can ask for. What most people are missing here is that the lights work as advertised. They are better than stock quads. That is what I wanted. For the same price I could have went with a retro HID setup, which could have possibly brought its own issues as has been well documented. Am I disappointed that they have this issue? You bet. Am I satisfied so far with the response from my vendor and morimoto? Yep. I am not dismissing this issue, nor has the housing "Melted" and the lights are now unusable - I am simply trying to point out that people that have these lights generally say "I have these" in the post. Those that don't have them seem to be the most vocal about the quality. This is what blows my mind. The non-owners complaining about these sound like my buddy who drives a GMC and ***** on Dodge all day and night just because of a truck from 30 years ago that his friend owned that had problems. It is hilarious.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you read my post - I said "I have had ZERO issues with the lights themselves" - meaning the output, functionality, etc. Yes, I have a spot on mine just like others that has burnt or whatever. It is roughly an inch long and 1/2 inch wide, on both housings, on that part that inclines up. The vendor is addressing it, which is really all you can ask for. What most people are missing here is that the lights work as advertised.

Except, they don’t? Look at the advertisements again. If you need me to break it down for you, let me know.

They are better than stock quads.

Again, this is false and a hand-wavey statement. Just because it’s a whiter light does bit mean it’s “better.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joemagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Except, they don’t? Look at the advertisements again. If you need me to break it down for you, let me know.

Again, this is false and a hand-wavey statement. Just because it’s a whiter light does bit mean it’s “better.”

Ya the output is absolutely terrible. I had to put a light bar on my truck just to make it safe to drive and also upgraded my fog lights to 9005’s for some extra light. Everyone just tries to convince themselves that they’re better. My gf won’t even drive it at night. In my opinion the light is too blue and there’s just no intensity to it

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya the output is absolutely terrible. I had to put a light bar on my truck just to make it safe to drive and also upgraded my fog lights to 9005’s for some extra light. Everyone just tries to convince themselves that they’re better. My gf won’t even drive it at night. In my opinion the light is too blue and there’s just no intensity to it

What’s that saying, all lumens no throw?

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Do you own the lights? Are they installed on your personal vehicle? Have you had them installed on your personal vehicle for 5 months now? It is simply not a false statement - I see better at night (much better) with these than I did with the stock quads. I do not see how that point could be argued with. And how can you argue with my post about the lights working as advertised? I literally have had ZERO issues with the output from these lights since installation. In my experience, over 5 months of usage, they are better in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY over stock quads. I have yet to encounter a situation where I said "gee, I really wish I had those ****** quad halogens in right now". I do have the 'burn' blemish and the vendor is addressing the issue. So again I ask, what more should they be doing?

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you own the lights? Are they installed on your personal vehicle? Have you had them installed on your personal vehicle for 5 months now? It is simply not a false statement - I see better at night (much better) with these than I did with the stock quads. I do not see how that point could be argued with. And how can you argue with my post about the lights working as advertised? I literally have had ZERO issues with the output from these lights since installation. In my experience, over 5 months of usage, they are better in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY over stock quads. I have yet to encounter a situation where I said "gee, I really wish I had those ****** quad halogens in right now". I do have the 'burn' blemish and the vendor is addressing the issue. So again I ask, what more should they be doing?

Yes, I had them.

Yes they were installed.

And stating they are better in every which way is 100% scientifically false.

For starters, headlights in the 5k-6k temp struggle in ****** conditions since it can’t cut through air moisture as easily as 3k-4.3k. This is simply FACT. So no, your visibility is not better in poor weather with these headlights.

Second, the best overall temp(overall being subjective), is 5k since it most closely imitates clear sunlight and is most compatible to human eyes. These particular headlights lights are on the upper bound of 5.8k as measured by a Sekonic C-7000 spectromaster color meter. This is BAD because anything above 6k is PURELY for aesthetic purposes.

I get that you want it to be true, but wanting something to be true does not make it so. It seems that people believe that spending a **** load of money = quality/reliable.

Last edited:

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
***** you are arguing with me about MY own observations. I feel like I am arguing with my teenage son - hey, it is sunny out! No dad, there is a cloud in the sky! JeezusHfriggingchriiist. I will reiterate once again. I personally have yet to ever say "gee, I really wish I had those ****** quad halogens in right now" - this after 5 months of driving in all conditions except snow, which will be soon unfortunately.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
***** you are arguing with me about MY own observations. I feel like I am arguing with my teenage son - hey, it is sunny out! No dad, there is a cloud in the sky! JeezusHfriggingchriiist. I will reiterate once again. I personally have yet to ever say "gee, I really wish I had those ****** quad halogens in right now" - this after 5 months of driving in all conditions except snow, which will be soon unfortunately.

Your observation is based on personal opinion, not fact.

Kelvin measurement is a fact. How kelvin temps work in various weather are facts, how the human eye perceives objects in large scale testing using different kelvin temps are facts.

Your observations are based on personal bias and opinions which hysterically you just essentially torpedoed by admitting they suck in the snow.

You should probably listen to your teenager.

Joemagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’ve had them for 5-6 months and can vouch for how bad they are at night. And am sure once winter comes the “******” stock quads will be going back in cause with good bulbs in them they outperform hands down. Better width and distance and just overall better besides not looking cool. They’re always beaking eBay headlights but I have a set in my 2nd Gen and they’re better than these overpriced morimoto junk. And for $200. They false advertised the heck outta these things and we all believed it

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your observation is based on personal opinion, not fact.

Kelvin measurement is a fact. How kelvin temps work in various weather are facts, how the human eye perceives objects in large scale testing using different kelvin temps are facts.

Your observations are based on personal bias and opinions which hysterically you just essentially torpedoed by admitting they suck in the snow.

You should probably listen to your teenager.

How exactly did I admit they suck in the snow? I have not had them over a winter yet. I guess you go on being you and tell everyone they suck. That seems to be all you have to offer here. Meanwhile. I will sit here and happily use them over the stock quads KNOWING based on my usage and my eyesight, and my experience, that they are better than what I had. Sound good?

To add some context as to why I feel these are better than the stock quads were here is an example. Last year I was driving with my Uncle in a misty rain down the highway. He literally said "Are your lights on?". I explained to him that yes, they were on. He almost didn't believe me. In the same conditions with the XB's I can see.

You can tell me these were tested on a device and measured 5,800K (I think they are marketed at 5,500K) and I am going to sit here and say "I really do not care. They work FOR ME." If there is anyone reading this in WNY and is thinking of possibly buying them feel free to reach out and I will meet you somewhere to check mine out. Make your own decision. But for now, I am done with the back and forth - we aren't going to change each other's minds. And we are just muddying this thread.

Last edited:

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question for ya
My wife has an18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with projectors.
Now according to O’Reillys the bulb is a H11.
These lights suck!
Will going to an H9 bulb work?
I’m not familiar with projectors at all.
I know the low/high are combined but, I’m not sure how they work.
Wednesday we’re taking a 400 mile night time road trip to see grandson #2 arrive from the factory. [emoji13]
I really need to improve the lights before we leave.
Hope you can help

The Blue Mule

Use diode dynamics led bulbs. They’re awesome better than hid

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To add some context as to why I feel these are better than the stock quads were here is an example. Last year I was driving with my Uncle in a misty rain down the highway. He literally said "Are your lights on?". I explained to him that yes, they were on. He almost didn't believe me. In the same conditions with the XB's I can see.

Herein lies the problem. Your claims and statements are purely anecdotal. You offer 0 factual evidence as to why accepted scientific measurements, tests and studies are all wrong based on nothing but your personal conjecture.

Multiple people are saying the output sucks. Compare it to any stock hid/led setup and it’s absolutely no comparison, at all.

Drive with other cars on the road, take a video, post it. Better yet, measure the lights, compare it to a stock quads with upgraded bulbs and post the pics of the measurements. Be sure to have your teenager take a candid shot of the pissed off look on your face when you realize you paid $1300 for a cool DRL.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Reddington its great that you see better with the lights and you can consider yourself lucky that the lights themselves haven’t failed.

There is another thread where those who have bought the lights could report on their functionality and I can tell you a MAJORITY had wacky **** going on like projectors breaking and dangling, codes getting thrown, one or both lights not working etc etc etc. now it’s the great plastic melt of 2019.

sorry, they just aren’t all they were hyped up to be. You’re better off just throwing some led’s in reflectors or HID’s in projectors.

I’ve seen them in person and I will say I think the light output wasn’t bad IMO but there have been way too many problems for me to justify them. I’m glad I went the route I did with my OEM projectors.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
hey guys, been mia for awhile so catching up on posts now. I will have to look at my head lights and see if I have this new issue. I will report back what I find

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Doesnt look as bad as some others have posted but looks like it's starting to get some melting of the paint on my passenger side

20191105_082501.jpg

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
[QUOTE="Joemagnum, post: 2144610, member: 77917] "They false advertised the heck outta these things and we all believed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That's the point here... nobody wants to admit to being duped. Including the retailers of these things. Shameful.