My audio upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
So I took the day yesterday and installed my amp and LCQ-1.

Audio is being supplied by my iPhone through BT.

I installed the 150ohm .5 watt resistors on the HU (8.4A). Got sound and found my distortion level using my SMD DD1. Which seems to be 27 (32 for 1k signal distortion & 25 for 40hz signal distortion). So 27 would be my sweet spot before things go downhill.

Ran wiring to my LCQ-1. Hooked up my SMD DD1 to the output of my LCQ-1 and set the HU at 27. I play my 1k signal and start turning up the knob for the output. It goes all the way up with just the signal detected. Does not even hit distortion, which is odd.

Get down to setting the gains on my amp and the gains get barely turned before distortion gets detected. Another red flag to me.

So I start tuning things with my RTA on my tablet. Get to the sub, and notice when I turn up the output for the sub on the LCQ-1, everything seems to cut out on the bass notes. Turn down the output knob on the LCQ-1 and it goes back to being normal.

I think my LCQ-1 is bad. It worked last time I used it, but have had it in my toolbox for a couple years now.

Anybody care to toss a second opinion in?

OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
wow, no opinions huh?

So did something today, I removed the resistors that I read to put in. Re-connected my LCQ-1 and everything works. So I have ran the outputs from the 8.4A HU to the LCQ-1. No issues till I hit 32 on the volume. Then clipping occurs.

So on to finish setting gains, and then start tuning the frequencies.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice man wouldn't have thought a small resistor would create such a problem.

OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I wouldn't think so either. I even replaced the 150ohm 1/2watt resistor with a 6ohm 50 watt resistor. It sounded better for sure. Then I removed them all and ran the output of the HU straight to the LCQ-1 and I had sound....I was shocked.

OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Well new problem arises....

My LCQ1 has taken a crap. It was making alot of poping when turning up the volume and a bass note hits. Seems half the sub eq was not working either. Then sometimes it would just start making loud noises through the system for no reason.....scared the crap out of my wife at one point.

So I have removed the LCQ1 and bought for now a NVX XPLOC4. Gives me a remote turn on and 4 preamps out.

So I will add an EQ and probably change out my RCA's as there seems to be a slight whine at low volume. My RCA's are old.

Bmxj01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well new problem arises....

My LCQ1 has taken a crap. It was making alot of poping when turning up the volume and a bass note hits. Seems half the sub eq was not working either. Then sometimes it would just start making loud noises through the system for no reason.....scared the crap out of my wife at one point.

So I have removed the LCQ1 and bought for now a NVX XPLOC4. Gives me a remote turn on and 4 preamps out.

So I will add an EQ and probably change out my RCA's as there seems to be a slight whine at low volume. My RCA's are old.

How is the build going? Still need to finish mine hoping to have some free time soon so i can wire my LOC and amp in.

OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
How is the build going? Still need to finish mine hoping to have some free time soon so i can wire my LOC and amp in.

So far I have added a Memphis D2 12" sub in a ported box behind the drivers seat. I have the rear seat folded up to fit the box. This is temporary till I get the sub I need. I just got tired of listening to highs.

I want to purchase the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3 DSP but my wife has not approved the funds yet.

I believe I have finally blown the drivers dash speaker. Since it is in parallel with the front doors and they are crossed over at 125hz, the OEM dash speaker did not play well and jumped off a cliff. No biggie, I have RF replacement waiting to go in. I will probably remove the rear speakers and run those channels from the amp to the dash speakers and set the crossovers above 200hz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmxj01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel it. I think the 3sixty.3 will do wonders. I am trying to get mine started back up this weekend if weather allows but calling for rain here in Galveston!

OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I feel it. I think the 3sixty.3 will do wonders. I am trying to get mine started back up this weekend if weather allows but calling for rain here in Galveston!

I am just up the road in NE Houston, it's supposed to be rain 40 & 30 percent for the weekend.

The DSP will do wonders as the built in 3 band EQ on the 8.4A really sucks, but I manage for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BadHabit2Break

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
So I decided to go the OEM sub box route. No mod to raise the seats to do. I found it on ebay for $117 shipped. Changed the sub wiring to series to make it 4ohm, as OEM is DVC 2ohm on each side.

With some decent power it sounds pretty good. I have a Kicker 8" sub in my garage that I will put in there to replace the OEM sub.