my question on 2 inch coil spring drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Top shock bolt is easier if you remove the inner plastic wheelwell.

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good thread, I'll be doing the same thing soon.

Joel29m - The shocks that came with that kit you got, are they decent? I was thinking of just getting the coils and ordering my own shocks, they sell the coils for 169, and the kit is 389 (which includes the shocks too), so that's a difference of ~$216 for 2 shocks. That's QA1 price range, they better be some good shocks.

keg184

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the 2" drop and redrilled the hole in the body mount of the panhard bar to make it almost level.

Attachments

• DSCN0166.jpg
    DSCN0166.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0167.jpg
    DSCN0167.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
J

joel29m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good thread, I'll be doing the same thing soon.

Joel29m - The shocks that came with that kit you got, are they decent? I was thinking of just getting the coils and ordering my own shocks, they sell the coils for 169, and the kit is 389 (which includes the shocks too), so that's a difference of ~$216 for 2 shocks. That's QA1 price range, they better be some good shocks.
To be honest they are some good shocks but my truck is still sitting about 2" higher than front, I think it only dropped about .50-.75" inches. I called them and they told me they have to settle but for how long? From the ground to the fender of the bed its 37.75 inches and the front from ground to fender is 36 inches. I kinda feel like I've been jacked!!! For 384.00 it does seem like overkill. I might take them off and send them back if its not too late. The shocks are shorter than oem so I might try to send the springs back. If yours is still stock can you measure your rear from the ground to the inside fender and tell me what you got?

OP
OP
J

joel29m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did the 2" drop and redrilled the hole in the body mount of the panhard bar to make it almost level.
Two questions, where did you get the bar from and is it just a unbolt and bolt on fix or did you have to jack the truck or loosen anything to change it?

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be honest they are some good shocks but my truck is still sitting about 2" higher than front, I think it only dropped about .50-.75" inches. I called them and they told me they have to settle but for how long? From the ground to the fender of the bed its 37.75 inches and the front from ground to fender is 36 inches. I kinda feel like I've been jacked!!! For 384.00 it does seem like overkill. I might take them off and send them back if its not too late. The shocks are shorter than oem so I might try to send the springs back. If yours is still stock can you measure your rear from the ground to the inside fender and tell me what you got?

Should only take about 1 week, 2 weeks max for it to settle, but you do have to drive on it, I would also make sure that the springs are sitting in the slots correctly, one side is normally lower where the end of the coil sits. I'll measure mine when i get home from work, unless someone else gets to it before I do.

Two questions, where did you get the bar from and is it just a unbolt and bolt on fix or did you have to jack the truck or loosen anything to change it?

Looks like he used the factory OEM bar and just re-drilled the hole further up on the side that was low.

OP
OP
J

joel29m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Should only take about 1 week, 2 weeks max for it to settle, but you do have to drive on it, I would also make sure that the springs are sitting in the slots correctly, one side is normally lower where the end of the coil sits. I'll measure mine when i get home from work, unless someone else gets to it before I do.

Looks like he used the factory OEM bar and just re-drilled the hole further up on the side that was low.
I just found out that they have 3 inch coil springs and I just bought them today. I'm sending the other set back and gonna try them out.

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Slant 6
^ I just ordered the GF 3" inch rear springs from Ground Force out of their 2/3 kit. Im going to swap out my Bell Tech 4" springs for them. I can't live with the bottoming out and harsh ride anymore...

How hard is it to swap the rear springs? It looks like I can just jack up the body and let the rear axle droop and pull them out.

TIA

OP
OP
J

joel29m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
^ I just ordered the GF 3" inch rear springs from Ground Force out of their 2/3 kit. Im going to swap out my Bell Tech 4" springs for them. I can't live with the bottoming out and harsh ride anymore...

How hard is it to swap the rear springs? It looks like I can just jack up the body and let the rear axle droop and pull them out.

TIA
That is correct. Jack up the rear, put jack stands under the frame, take the wheel and the plastic fender lining out, take out the bottom shock bolts, remove bolt on brake hose line that's on the frame and then lower your rear. Its real easy.

I put my 2 inch springs back on due to the rough ride with the 3 inch but I put the oem shocks back on with them cause I was sending the shocks and 2 inch springs back plus we are going on a trip to Florida next weekend and want to ride smooth. When we get back I'm gonna try the 3inch springs with the kyb shocks and hope I get my smooth feel back.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
take the wheel and the plastic fender lining out, remove bolt on brake hose line that's on the frame
You can get away without having to do those things , especially if your not switching out the shocks.

OP
OP
J

joel29m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
True but if I don't have to get under the truck to take them out I would remove it plus its easy to remove since I did it 4 times already lol.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Extra steps are extra steps still.

keg184

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It is a Spohn adjustable bar. After installing the 2 in lowering spring the rear end was off center about 3/8 in. So i recentered the rear end.

OP
OP
J

joel29m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It is a Spohn adjustable bar. After installing the 2 in lowering spring the rear end was off center about 3/8 in. So i recentered the rear end.
Thanks man

Dubsport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those will do the job just fine... There are also those that cut a coil and a half off the top of the factory rears and get the same effect!
HTH
Richard

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar