My ride is too stiff, need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
'03 1500 quad cab

I have been trying to resolve a ride quality problem for a while now and need some advice. Over the summer I noticed I had a very bouncy ride coming from the back and I would feel every bump. I thought the tires were bad and since it was time for tires, I got new ones. That really didn't help the ride. I took the shocks off and they were bad, I was able to compress/uncompress them very easily. I replaced them with Monroe Sensa-trac. The ride I have now doesn't seem as bouncy as it was but it seems very stiff to me. I feel every bump. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the sensa-trac line of shocks and what you think of their stiffness? I was going to towards the cheaper gas-matics but didn't necessarily want to just throw parts at it unless I can get some first hand input.

I rarely haul anything and never tow.

Thanks

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What's your tire pressure at?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

btah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
35. seems a little worse than when I had it at 32.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its an empty truck. Of course its gonna ride hard. Throw a few hundred pounds in the bed and see how it feels then.

OP
OP
B

btah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It didn't really ride hard for 10 years. But, hauling something around is worth a try. What is the reasoning behind your suggestion? Is it that the shocks will play more of a role in the ride because there is weight in the back?

If it rides a little better, does that mean the shocks are little stiff?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trucks are designed to haul weight.
If you never haul anything, the springs are probably stiff after all these years.
I would spray the leafs with penetrating oil and put some weight in it for a little while.
I used to lube the chassis and springs on my older truck with a 50-50 mix of WD-40 and tranny fluid once or twice a year. It would make everything seem quieter and smoother, not to mention rust prevention. LOL

EDIT - just a tip - If you are going to try this, don't do it in your driveway - or park in your driveway for a day or so. You will leave oil stains when it drips off.

Last edited:

lawman dj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
on my truck rebuilt everything on the front end including adding urethane bushing, also replaced the new shocks that were on the truck when i bought it with monroe shocks, the only thing that seem to work was tire pressure at 32. also tried a different set of tires and did not a difference with the tire change.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Weight usually helps the ride as does tire pressure. You might have a bad spring bushing.