Narrowed down to 2 tonneau's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't decide between the EXtang Encore w/ Maxseal tailgate kit or the Bakflip Fibermax. The Bakflip is being sold through my local Line-x dealer under their name w/ a lifetime warranty. I kind of like how the Bakflip goes all the way up and lays flat agains the back window which I would use when I mountain bike, since the bikes take up the whole bed. I installed the bull rings on the side rails so I hope they don't interfere with that.

I'm looking for waterproof factor first, then brand. I appreciate any photos of the covers and on the rails and real world rain/snow experience.

Thanks!

Encore:
2015 Dodge Ram Short bed (approx. 5' 7"), without RamBox Extang EnCore Tonneau Cover - SHIPS FREE

Bakflip
2015 Dodge Ram Short bed (approx. 5' 7"), without RamBox BAK BAKFlip FiberMax Tonneau Cover - SHIPS FREE

Last edited:

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't decide between the EXtang Encore w/ Maxseal tailgate kit or the Bakflip Fibermax. The Bakflip is being sold through my local Line-x dealer under their name w/ a lifetime warranty. I kind of like how the Bakflip goes all the way up and lays flat agains the back window which I would use when I mountain bike, since the bikes take up the whole bed. I installed the bull rings on the side rails so I hope they don't interfere with that.

I'm looking for waterproof factor first, then brand. I appreciate any photos of the covers and on the rails and real world rain/snow experience.

Thanks!

Encore:
2015 Dodge Ram Short bed (approx. 5' 7"), without RamBox Extang EnCore Tonneau Cover - SHIPS FREE

Bakflip
2015 Dodge Ram Short bed (approx. 5' 7"), without RamBox BAK BAKFlip FiberMax Tonneau Cover - SHIPS FREE
I have the fibermax with the bull rings installed near the tailgate.. It's a strong cover. I do get a little bit of water from rain in near the tailgate because the tailgate design. It's definitely now leak proof, but maybe I have to readjust the rails. I got it for a good price and it does its job.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1444824786969.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444824786969.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 80
  • uploadfromtaptalk1444824851730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444824851730.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 89
  • uploadfromtaptalk1444824886180.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444824886180.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the truxedo only a soft roll up? I'm looking for a hard tri-fold.

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the fibermax with the bull rings installed near the tailgate.. It's a strong cover. I do get a little bit of water from rain in near the tailgate because the tailgate design. It's definitely now leak proof, but maybe I have to readjust the rails. I got it for a good price and it does its job.

With that little bit of water, would you still be comfortable putting luggage and dry goods back there?

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is the truxedo only a soft roll up? I'm looking for a hard tri-fold.

This particular one is and it is great. I have no worries with putting stuff in the back during rain storms and not worrying about it getting wet. Sure a little bit of water gets in, but even if it does, usually it is at the back that is up against the tail gate and the water runs straight down the gate and out.

Even at the carwash barely any water gets in.

BF83AAD6-782B-4195-A387-CCFDCB507AAB_zpskdropw4h.jpg

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With that little bit of water, would you still be comfortable putting luggage and dry goods back there?
I have taken 800 mile trips with luggage in the bed with the fibermax cover. I only get some small drips from the spots. I never really worried about anything getting damaged. I do wish it was water tight, but that it not realistic with most covers. Once I add a Bedrug I think the water will become a non issue.

94fa683e60e5d0b1524d8442079ebae9.jpg

I think the hard cover is a little saver on long trips and stay overs.

Con-You do have to open the cover before you shut the tailgate so the seal sits on top of the tailgate. You can't shut the tailgate while the cover is locked in the closed position.

Last edited:

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the flex undercover and and very happy with it. The main reason i went with this model was because it opens up and give me access the the entire bed length.....and IT DOESNT LEAN AGAINST THE GLASS. I love the struts that hold the tonneau in an upright position and not leaning against the glass. I have only had some minor drips or two even during heavy rain. The pics above of the leaky tonneau are a lot worse than mine has ever been fyi

Attachments

• flex-bed-1000.jpg
    flex-bed-1000.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wish the fibermax came with straps to keep the cover secured when open part of the way. The flex undercover has them. Pictured below.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1444913587792.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444913587792.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 65

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a BAKflip VP and it stays completely dry...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
its too bad you need the full flip up. I have the cheapest one i could get from Canadian tire, (probably made in china).. its a tri-fold, you can flip two panels and then lock it in place but it doesnt pop up against the glass. Not a drop of water has got in, not even in the touchless carwash. its so light though that you can pop it off and toss it in the back of the truck in a matter of a 2 minutes.