Navigation/Radio Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The Navigation system and radio died recently. Been looking around for a replacement/repair, ran into a major issue. The replacements don't offer any setups that have access to Sirius/XM radio. I have a 5 year subscription to Sirius and would like to keep it, so now I'm looking for a repair facility for it. There used to be an outfit that repaired them at https://navrepair.com but they don't seem to exist anymore. Looking for any suggestions anybody has for a repair facility for 3rd gen navigation/radio. The problem is mainly with the display, it has gone blank and most all the controls fail to respond. I can control volume with the steering wheel control but not the channel up/down control on the steering wheel. Also the push button controls on the dash don't seem to work either. Initially I suspected it was a heat problem. The unit was working fine but after a few minutes the screen flashed and then went blank, up until then most everything was working well, I was getting navigation on the screen and both the steering wheel and dash controls worked for the most part. I would really like to get this unit repaired, I know very well that getting a display/repair or replacement may not be possible, but I sure would like to try that first. If anybody knows of an outfit that still does repairs for these old units, I'd certainly appreciate a post about them.

Thanks, Mike

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which nav unit do you have and what year truck? Will be pulling the factory NAV unit w/Sirius antenna out of my 2008 soon to switch to an aftermarket CarPlay unit.

OP
OP
MikeT

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I really didn't know there was more than one nav unit available. The best I can do right now is to attach a picture of my dash with the nav unit in it. The truck is an 06 2500 CTD. I have the VIN and can see if the build sheet mentions anything about the nav unit. I'll do that later today and post anything I find here.

Attachments

• IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 7

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ah the dreaded REC (I hate it). I would suggest aftermarket (cheaper), or if you want to stay OEM do a 730n MyGig/lockpick adapter retrofit (might be more $$). Just need a filler plate and it'll look like this with full factory function with the ability to add a backup cam if you wish:

IMG_1675.jpg

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What he said is definitely a nicer option. If you want to stay with REC unit (same one you’ve got), I’ve got near-perfect one coming out of my ‘08 soon that I was planning on selling. PM me if interested

OP
OP
MikeT

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
What he said is definitely a nicer option. If you want to stay with REC unit (same one you’ve got), I’ve got near-perfect one coming out of my ‘08 soon that I was planning on selling. PM me if interested
Pm sent I think. Wasn't able to find a PM section so started what they call a conversation don't know if that's the same. All the other forums I use call it a PM.

Mike

OP
OP
MikeT

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
After checking a number of different options I decided to take Raj (3pedals) up on his offer to sell me the unit in his 08. I will post the final results once the operation is completed.

Mike

OP
OP
MikeT

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Had some personal issues that kept me from getting the radio installed until this morning. It was a total plug and play job that took about 20 minutes. The new radio navigates and plays as well as the old one ever did, I have Serius back and working as well as ever. I want to thank you Raj (3pedals) for an honest evaluation of your radio and a very reasonable price for it.

Mike