Navigation System Gone Wonky On My 2019 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Yesterday my navigation system turned squirrely. Command of "navigation" opened it but when I spoke the address, it did not input. Tried several times, all with errors. However, when I spoke "Sprouts Farmers Market," it did give me choices of locations, and route guidance was accurate.

But then, I could not cancel navigation, even though the system recognized my input. The navigation is still on the next day and I had to close the radio so as not to be bothered by the continual, turn here, turn here, etc,

Anyone experience something like this?

Wanted to run this by the Forum before contacting the Dealership, with my extended Mopar Factory warranty,

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Never had that on my '17 but I know they updated the system by '19. I haven't seen it on my '22 yet either but I haven't really navigated much.

I have found, though, that at least for me, giving a voice command to the truck doesn't work probably 40% of the time, especially for navigation, because say the address says the place you're looking for is in XX town, but the navigation is programmed for that address to be in YY township, if you don't know, it won't find the address. I don't know why it is like that, but I know that it is.

However, CarPlay seems to do much better - though you've got to watch Siri, sometimes she likes to take routes that are...less than ideal. She once sent me down a sandy fire trail in my old dually...that was interesting.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Any time I get anything weird happening with something related to my radio unit, I reset it. So far, resetting has cleared up all of the issues I have had. Although, I don't recall having any navigation related issues, but I have only used it twice.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
With both of my HDs when the GPS was screwing up, it was something with the software in the radio. On my Gen5 truck the module for on air updates went bad. On my gen4 truck it was the software in the radio was too far out of date, and would not update itself. They had to update the software manually at dealer.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
With both of my HDs when the GPS was screwing up, it was something with the software in the radio. On my Gen5 truck the module for on air updates went bad. On my gen4 truck it was the software in the radio was too far out of date, and would not update itself. They had to update the software manually at dealer.
That's good to know. I am glad I have my extended mopar factory warranty. Dealership would otherwise want to charge me to do that, no?

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
FYI, when the dealer manually had to upgrade my software, they charged me for the shop time (labor) but not for the software. I also had the extended warranty at the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
FYI, when the manually had to upgrade my software, they charged me for the shop time (labor) but not for the software. I also had the extended warranty at the time.

I think I will first try resetting it, as Forum Member Chopper recommended above. If after that I still have issues I'll bring it in.

Incidentally, the Dealership had to install an entire new radio and 12 inch screen back in January of this year--still under original warranty. My heated seats were coming on and off randomly, even in 80 degree weather. So, I wonder why the software would be outdated just 9 months later.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Yesterday my navigation system turned squirrely. Command of "navigation" opened it but when I spoke the address, it did not input. Tried several times, all with errors. However, when I spoke "Sprouts Farmers Market," it did give me choices of locations, and route guidance was accurate.

But then, I could not cancel navigation, even though the system recognized my input. The navigation is still on the next day and I had to close the radio so as not to be bothered by the continual, turn here, turn here, etc,

Anyone experience something like this?

Wanted to run this by the Forum before contacting the Dealership, with my extended Mopar Factory warranty,

Did you forget you made this same thread and got the same advice to reset already: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/na...on-my-2019-3500-insights.204362/#post-2848031

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I've never bothered with the built in nav. It's outdated the day you buy the vehicle, and they want $150 to update the maps every year. Google Maps or Waze on Android Auto or CarPlay is way better. Maybe try those?