Navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranger520

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife is buying a new Big Horn. The sticker says Navigation capable. Is there something else needed. Hopefully someone can inform me !!

Thanks in advance!!

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
That's the ra3 radio it will cost I think 600 bucks for the dealer to add nav. Try to get it added before you drive it off the lot

The ra3 is nav capable for a large fee
The ra4 comes with nav

Brian_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep in mind with that radio you will not get any traffic data on screen. Not XM NavTraffic nor FM Traffic (TMC). I travel on the interstate between Baltimore and past Washington DC on trips and having traffic notifications would be great. IMO, this is weak when my $200 portable dash gps has traffic built in and has helped me immensely. I believe some older RA3 radios at least had TMC traffic. Salt in the wound.

GoatLocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have the "NAV Ready" radio, the RA3 with Alpine. IMHO, the NAV is not worth the $600 the dealers charge, so I didn't pay for it. You could probably find an RA4 truck with the same equipment for $600 more. In addition to the traffic features, the RA4 adds HD Radio.

Also, if your truck has the Alpine option, there is really no easy upgrade path if you want better sound. Not a problem if you are happy with the sound...

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My wife is buying a new Big Horn. The sticker says Navigation capable. Is there something else needed. Hopefully someone can inform me !!

Thanks in advance!!
SAVE YOUR MONEY! I spoke with Ram two weeks ago and map upgrades are $149. I will be using my portable tom tom because my truck gps is not reliable. Big ripoff as far as I am concerned.

fredansandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SAVE YOUR MONEY! I spoke with Ram two weeks ago and map upgrades are $149. I will be using my portable tom tom because my truck gps is not reliable. Big ripoff as far as I am concerned.

I agree 100%. We have the RA4 on our Durango. You would think FCA would offer free updates at least for the first couple of years. Nope. I'll use the $149 to buy a nice portable GPS system with free lifetime map updates.

muttmutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I was just thinking of upgrading my 2016. Just could not stomach the $600. I too will be looking at portable.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I have the "NAV Ready" radio, the RA3 with Alpine. IMHO, the NAV is not worth the $600 the dealers charge, so I didn't pay for it. You could probably find an RA4 truck with the same equipment for $600 more. In addition to the traffic features, the RA4 adds HD Radio.

Also, if your truck has the Alpine option, there is really no easy upgrade path if you want better sound. Not a problem if you are happy with the sound...

I agree with GoatLover. Not worth the $600. What might be worth the $600 is an aftermarket Nav system with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP also if you are getting a '16 dont those come with apple play? if you have an apple phone you can mirror the phone to the 8.4 and just run your phones gps

i also say that if you are looking at a radio that is not the ra4 its not worth the fee as there are many features that you will be missing.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
$600 for the initial activation and then $149 for the update every year. And the most current update is from 2013! But they don't tell you that until after you pay the $149.

timmmithy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would advise giving Google maps a try (assuming you run an android phone). I know a lot of people don't like it. But it gives you up to date traffic updates on major roadways (you'll see the road is color coded. Red areas are heavy congestion, orange is medium, etc.) also, the maps are very regularly updated, we've had some road alterations in our city over the past year and they are already updated (for free). Also. You get interesting information from Google. For example, when you set a route, it calculates an estimated arrival time based on traffic congestion. You also have all the expectations from an actual GPS, such as setting it to avoid certain areas like tolls. Residential areas, highways, etc.

I cannot guarantee that it's 100% accurate, but I have yet to make a wrong turn because of it.

I would say give it a try if you can before passing over 600+ for potentially the same thing. (make sure you can plug your phone in however, and keep a phone Holder in your truck.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk