Need help removing chrome parts of front and rear bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ventoracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok, so I want to paint the chrome parts of my 2011 Mineral Grey Ram 1500 flat black to go with my flat black grille and rims... Anyone have a link to detailed instructions on how to get the chrome bits off the front and rear bumpers?

Thx

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you referring to removing the whole bumper? If so the front bumper has 6 bolts holding it on and the rear has 4(?) bolts holding it on to the frame. If you have the SLT I believe you'll need to remove the whole bumper as that is what I had to do to my SLT. Are you going to plastidip them or how are you having them done?

OP
OP
ventoracing

ventoracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have an SLT so I guess I'll be taking off the whole bumper?

I plastidip'ed my rims and grille, but I'm on the fence as to whether to plastidip or spray paint the bumper. I want something that is going to be durable and long lasting, so I'm leaning towards scuffing up the chrome bumpers really good and going with a flat black spray paint. What do you think?

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah removing the bumpers is easy just look from under the truck and you can see where the bolts connect. I am going to be plastidipping mine for the time being as it is easier to repair since you just need to spray a little extra on to fix. If you ask Thor he is a member here he plastipped his old bumpers and used auto spray on top of the plastidip and he said it held up excellent for the few years he had it.

hackercity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Plastidipped my SLT about 4 months ago. I drive the highway about 80 miles a day. No issues at allyzamenej.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the picts!! How many coats you do? What prep work?

hackercity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks!!

About 4 really good coats.

The only prep was using some 0000 steel wool and soap and water. Just make sure its dry.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
ventoracing

ventoracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK, turns out getting the front bumper off was easier than I thought it was going to be.... just 6 bolts hold the bumper to the frame rails. You will need a deep 18mm socket.

I've plastidiped my rims and grille so far.... not totally in love with the plastidip.... having a hard time controlling whether i get a little texture or not. I want a nice smooth no-texture finish on the bumper so I'm going to go with flat black spray paint.

As soon as i get the front and rear bumpers done, badges, and the door handles, I'll be sure and post pics.

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not going to recommend spray painting man. I did that to my front bumper. I sanded the hell out of it for 4 hours with a power sander, did 4 coats of paint and 4 clear and within a couple months it was chipped to ****

OP
OP
ventoracing

ventoracing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not going to recommend spray painting man. I did that to my front bumper. I sanded the hell out of it for 4 hours with a power sander, did 4 coats of paint and 4 clear and within a couple months it was chipped to ****

ok, now you got me re-thinking my approach.... i guess I'll go the plastiDip route on the front bumber and see how that holds up. Thx. for the feedback.

Pimppapa1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not trying to hijack the thread but the rear bumper nuts are frozen on mine...PB Blaster it is!