Need help upgrading speakers... first timer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey guys, ive been modifying my cars & trucks in some sort of way for the past 16+ years now and ive only ever upgrade my speakers and audio once, when i was 17 and put subs and an amp and speakers in my 1997 Eagle Talon TSi and i dont really remember much about the speaker install.

Anyways, i am looking to upgrade the speakers in my 2012 Ram 1500 Regular Cab. Heres what ive gathered so far:

Doors: 6"x9"
Rear Pillar" 6"x9"
Dash: 3.5"

** I learned i will need adapters so that i can plug the stock speaker wiring into the aftermarket speakers pos & neg "posts".

So far im all good with that info, here is where i need help.

1. Dash 3.5" Speaker Wiring Adapters -

- So i found these adapters : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LAPRHCR7XHF0 - and they will work for the doors and rear. But according to multiple reviews, they DO NOT work for the 3.5" dash wiring/plugs.

Does anyone know which adapters i need for the dash 3.5" speakers so its all plug n play?

2. Door 6"x9" Mounting Adapter Brackets -

- Reading up on installing aftermarket speakers into the 4th Gen Ram front doors, i read many reviews on Crutchfield aswell as Amazon stating that alot of 6x9 speakers do not fit properly and the door panel/speaker cover hits the speaker and can not be put back on, or the speaker magnet sits too deep and can not sit properly.

What mounting adapters do i need for the front doors?

--------------------

Thats pretty much it. Everything else i should be able to handle, ive done way more complicated installs and wiring, but the above 2 things i cant seem to find much info on and figured there has to be some members on here who have come across the same issues. Thanks in advance for your help.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Rockford fosgate 3 way 6x9’s in my rear doors...but components in my front doors. Not sure if the Rockford 6x9’s will fit the front.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can't comment on all of this but the doors have plenty of space towards the door panel. It is the mounting depth that is an issue. Some speakers will interfere with the window tracks.

Easy fix, just use the appropriately sized spacers and you are good to go.

Here are the adapters for the speakers you can use.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120727902/Metra-72-7902-Speaker-Wiring-Adapters.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120726514/Metra-72-6514-Speaker-Wiring-Harness.html

Thanks bud, I already bought the door and rear adapters but I definitely needed the dash adapters. Thanks:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless they're blown, I'd probably leave the rear stock speakers. They are right behind the seat and are of limited value in a standard setup especially in a single cab. I replaced mine with CDT 6x9 woofers, but there wasn't much to gain from it. I'd suggest 6x9 door woofers, and a full range/coaxial speaker in the dash. I'm running CDT Unity 8 2" drivers there, but they aren't cheap, I also use the same CDT 6X9's in the front door, but had to cut a little off the mounting brace because of the size of the magnets.

Depth is an issue in the front door, as is magnet diameter. My CDT's fit depth wise, but the magnet caused me to do minor cutting. In front of the speaker, there is some room to spare, so you could run a spacer in the front without hitting the grill, and least something like a .5" spacer. It's nearly impossible to measure the distance from the front of the speaker and door panel grill.

The speaker adapters are different between the 6x9's and dash speakers, the dash uses a different one. For a simple plug and play, this set is easy to use. I haven't heard it personally, but reviews seem good. A 2 or 3 way front door speaker is pointless, and possibly detrimental. Keep the mids and highs on the dash.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KFCXP6903C-eXcelon-Component-Speakers/dp/B07P843K9Q

Last edited:

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks bud, I already bought the door and rear adapters but I definitely needed the dash adapters. Thanks:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of those two links I posted are for the dash. I just logged into my account there and looked for what they sent me. Couldn't tell which was which haha.

Are you going to be amping your speakers? Video on your channel?