Need help with a new UAS install with problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Here's the problem and I'm a little frustrated. I grabbed a 8.4 UAS off eBay, got the code from the dealer and installed it with a M2mods harness, correct 2018 fan module and a single zone MTC. The radio fired right up, I put the code in and all seemed good. Here are my problems, when I try to set the fade, the rears (it's a regular cab) sound like theres hardly no rear volume, like speaker wires that touched and the voice command does not recognize me when I speak like there's no microphone. I get a message that there's an update available too but I don't have the nerve to try that. I played with it for quite a while and nothing so I took it back out and put the RA2 in to check the microphone and fade for the rears, all works good with the 5.0 back in just like before.
Am I missing something? Like a microphone mute setting or training the VR? What about the rear fade problem? I'd really like to keep the UAS but if it's the radio and not the user (I'm new to these) I need to notify the seller for a return.
The truck a 2018 Regular cab Express that had a plain RA1 3.0 no Uconnect and I changed to to a RA2 5.0, added a microphone and wired in the rear camera. The RA2 worked perfect and I'm adding overhead console with a compass and homelink as soon as Deereguy finishes the next batch of harnesses.

Any help is really appreciated, Here are some system pictures of when it's in dealer mode. Is this the bad / problem update that everyone is unhappy with?

20181115_172337.jpg 20181115_172514.jpg 20181115_172729.jpg

Last edited:

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you have a good firmware.what ever you do don't update it.as for as voice recognition sometimes it takes a couple key cycles it seems to me for it to understand.does it say anything?as far as the fade I haven't a clue.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks et todd, I remember what you told me about the bad updates. I'll put it back in tomorrow and run it for the weekend. Can it even update if the truck never had Guardian or anything other than plain XM?

Any input on the rear fade issue from anyone would be appreciated.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i'm not sure how the update comes through i would assume cellular plug but nobody has confirmed anything that i know of.i think you don't get a 911 error with the uaq/s so you might want to leave it unplugged.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OK so I put the UAS back in and reset everything in it's settings, still the same problems but I'll let it cycle like et todd recommended. Just like before the microphone works for google assistant but not for phone calls, so I know it's not the mic.

Does anyone one have a UAS / UAQ in a regular cab that can try their rear fade set all the way to the back and tell me if they get decent sound from the rears? I'm trying to see if it's a problem with this particular radio or a UAS /UAQ in a regular cab which would be kind of strange.

UPDATE>>>> So it locked my screen with that update message and I said screw it and took it.
It updated to

18.20.2e
21.9.0-20180516-109V

How it updated with no vehicle cell connection is beyond me unless it used the phone that's paired to it. Now the rear fade and speakers are fine and it sounds great. If the VR to the phone starts working all will be good. Like I said I'm just not understanding why the microphone works for using Google Assistant. Time will tell

Last edited:

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well that's the new application update.like I've said sound is subjective to people glad you like it and it fixed the fade issue.the update no doubt has to be coming through sat antenna .way over my head on that.does the other vr functions work like change source to or change station to.have you tried pairing a differant phone?

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
et todd thank for your help.Yes I paired another phone but it's the same exact Galaxy J7 as mine, I might try a neighbors if it's something different.
Here's the total description. Without the phone tethered when i push the VR the radio asks for commands but does not hear me when I speak it does nothing except to give me no communication responses (I do receive incoming text and calls although the caller can't hear me) and the phone will dial / connect if I click on the contact but they can't hear me. When I tether the phone on Android Auto and say ok Google I can make calls just fine but only by talking to Google (the VR function won't work), open Google maps and Waze and get directions.
Android Auto shows my phone front page with only time and temperature no apps so I think that means the phone won't mirror?
Like I said before if I put the RA2 back in, all VR / phone functions work and I have no problems making calls or texting.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just a thought,
You added a single aftermarket microphone vs OEM correct? Not sure which input you used mic1 or mic2 , for maybe try the other one

M² Mods.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just a thought,
You added a single aftermarket microphone vs OEM correct? Not sure which input you used mic1 or mic2 , for maybe try the other one

M² Mods.

Thanks Mpgrimm2, the microphone was added via an Infotainment.com interface harness (before I found M2Mods and this wonderful Forum) and it worked with both an RA1 and RA2 radio no problems. Is there a possibility that because there's only one microphone instead of the OEM 2018 2 that could be a problem? Also the single works perfect on the tethered Android Auto app for phone calls, maps and WAZE.

BTW the fan conversion harness is, as I said before, a thing of beauty and way nicer than FCA OEM stuff.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It's just hard to eliminate since you're not using the OEM mic setup. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the issue.

Does it work when started directly from the radio screen?

M² Mods.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I want to thank et todd and Mpgrimm2 for their help with this, I need a radio held in by Velcro, lol. So for now I'll run the RA2 and try with a different radio at some other time.

UAS radio results
1. Hit the VR/phone on the steering wheel and the radio hears nothing from me.
2. Bring up the contact list on UAS screen and click on a contact, it dials, connects and I hear the op crystal clear but they can hardly hear me.
3. Make a call tethered through Android and it's crystal clear on both ends but the radio screen never shows the phone apps. (I thought it was supposed to)

Pull out the UAS and reinstall the RA2 radio
1. VR/phone on steering wheel work instantly and calls connect and are crystal clear on both ends.

Can a UAS be pinned differently from a RA1 / RA2 (I've had both with this microphone harness and they worked) on the main harness for the microphone? That would be really strange. If I had another 8.4 to try I'd know but I don't so all I can assume is that it is a problem with this UAS.

Last edited:

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Like mpilgram said unless using a stock microphone setup it would be hard to say.you could eliminate it being the uas itself by testing in another truck a friend or close board member or if it's not to expensive rent a truck.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i'm not sure how the update comes through i would assume cellular plug but nobody has confirmed anything that i know of.i think you don't get a 911 error with the uaq/s so you might want to leave it unplugged.

As for the update I've had one person (the place that sold me my 4c) tell me that the updates come through the built in cell modem. You have an imei number listed on the setting screen and imei are specifically to identify something with a cellular connection. I have yet to install my uaq radio but I'm thinking that even without a shark fin antenna (I have a Canadian truck so I have only gps and sat radio) these radios may just have a strong enough signal without the antenna that they maybe self sustainable for updates. @likes2build do you have a shark fin on your truck? Or because of it coming with a 3.0 did it come with a puck?

I maybe wrong depending on how strong these "built in" cell modems are. I believe all the other 8.4 radios may have had these cell modems also but just were never strong enough without the antenna (I never had a American version of the 8.4 so I don't know if they also have imei numbers but I'm sure they do since they utilize cellular data).... ... And assuming this seller was correct (the company name is mygig sales which was the name of the old radios in 2009-2012 so there is a sporting chance they may have some credibility. Though I trust no one)

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
As for the update I've had one person (the place that sold me my 4c) tell me that the updates come through the built in cell modem. You have an imei number listed on the setting screen and imei are specifically to identify something with a cellular connection. I have yet to install my uaq radio but I'm thinking that even without a shark fin antenna (I have a Canadian truck so I have only gps and sat radio) these radios may just have a strong enough signal without the antenna that they maybe self sustainable for updates. Assuming someone doesnt live in Narnia or a dense forest. Even then I maybe wrong depending on how strong these "built in" cell modems are. I believe all the other 8.4 radios may have had these cell modems also but just were never strong enough without the antenna (I never had a American version of the 8.4 so I don't know if they also have imei numbers but I'm sure they do since they utilize cellular data).... ... And assuming this seller was correct (the company name is mygig sales which was the name of the old radios in 2009-2012 so there is a sporting chance they may have some credibility. Though I trust no one)

Good information and I hope yours works out well. I do see the "mygigsales" UAQ radios for sale on eBay and I'm curious to know how you did with them? They don't show the back of the radio or list a pn#, did you get an actual pn# 68331635AD radio? I'm going to try what et todd suggested and see if I can find another UAS/UAQ radio to try so I can determine if it my non OEM wired microphone.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted my little saga on the diy uaq uas page. I did receive one that appeared to be recased into a ram mount and was for a charger/Challenger but they exchanged it for a 631AH and I'm awaiting delivery of that.

OP
OP
likes2build

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I posted my little saga on the diy uaq uas page. I did receive one that appeared to be recased into a ram mount and was for a charger/Challenger but they exchanged it for a 631AH and I'm awaiting delivery of that.

OH BOY, I do remember reading your posts earlier and the problem you had. That is why I'm curious to see how you make out with mygigsales and your new radio. That's almost $900 floating around just for the radio not even counting the hub so I hope it works out. One way or the other please post the results. Thanks