New 2022 2500 with rear end noise??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonygalo08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, I picked up a new never titled left over 22 with just 100 miles on it. 2500, 6.7. Now not trying to say I'm a know it all but this thing sounds like a rear end whine when you let off or float the throttle at 30-50mph. I'm going to take it in and let them check it, but I have been building transmissions and rear ends for nearly 40 years now and I swear it's the rear. Sounds like the coast side of the gear set. I was wondering if anybody else may have heard of this?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Noises are kind of hard to describe and diagnose over the internet but you are one of the first I have seen complain about it so it's not a common issue (or the noise you are hearing is normal).

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
According to a TSB, wife saw on the NTSA site....There was some 2022's that left the factory very low on diff fluid. Mine wasnt making any noise per say, but when I checked mine it was very low. I ended adding 3 quarts of fluid between the front and rear diffs to properly fill them.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
According to a TSB, wife saw on the NTSA site....There was some 2022's that left the factory very low on diff fluid. Mine wasnt making any noise per say, but when I checked mine it was very low. I ended adding 3 quarts of fluid between the front and rear diffs to properly fill them.

And this type of BS is all because the selling dealer PDI people are to Dam lazy to check the all the fluids and top off as needed, not sure why they allow that BS to go on, I have read of some who say they no longer get paid to top off fluid, but why would a dealer not, it looks really bad to be selling a new car/truck/suv that is low on fluids during a test drive...

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you sell one hundred vehicles, all half a quart low, there’s fifty quarts that you didn’t spend money on. Now sell one of those quarts at twice the price and now you’ve saved yourself one hundred quarts. It’s all about the $$$$. Now how many vehicles do they sell a year and short a quart or two. Mmmmmmm $$$$$

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
To properly fill these do you go to the fluid runs out of the fill hole or up to a certain level. Wonder how mine are.

OP
OP
T

Tonygalo08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I'd thought I'd report back. Took it in to the dealer for them to check it.
Of course, they said its normal noise, I figured I get that. So, I drove another one they had on the lot,2022 also with 11 miles on it. Well, it had the same coast down noise, not quite as bad as mine but it was definitely there. With that said I guess I'll live with it. But I'll definitely check the diff oils. I agree there not prepping new cars like they used to. PS: I have a 1998 2500 with 293K still going strong. Somehow, I don't see this one lasting as long...lol
Cheers!

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not uncommon to have unmatched gear set from factory, I myself specialized in axle repairs and replacement back in the 70's and 80's at a Dodge Dealership , replaced or repaired hundreds of axles gear sets. used white lead on gears to check patterns and adjust as required.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealers are still under contractual obligation to perform certain listed pre-delivery checks, and fluid checks is definitely one of them.

As far as dealers trying to save money on fluids, whatever is needed to put the vehicle into proper service is reimbursed under warranty. If anything, an unscrupulous dealer would be motivated to charge back on warranty for a quart of differential lube, motor oil, transmission fluid, etc. that a vehicle didn't need.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92833 miles.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Dealers are still under contractual obligation to perform certain listed pre-delivery checks, and fluid checks is definitely one of them.

As far as dealers trying to save money on fluids, whatever is needed to put the vehicle into proper service is reimbursed under warranty. If anything, an unscrupulous dealer would be motivated to charge back on warranty for a quart of differential lube, motor oil, transmission fluid, etc. that a vehicle didn't need.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92833 miles.

Yet now and then I read about a dealer who tell customers they are not paid to check the fluids aka PDI work when customer complains about rear-end noise in a new truck...

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yet now and then I read about a dealer who tell customers they are not paid to check the fluids aka PDI work when customer complains about rear-end noise in a new truck...
Right. Just like children who sometimes will say anything to avoid taking responsibility.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 93138 miles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357