New 27' Trailer First Time Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just so you know even when the hitch is set up properly your truck will still porpoise just not as much. As the others have said air bags will help with that. Upgrading the shocks won't hurt either.

My trailer is 33', 6600 lbs dry and around 7200 lbs loaded. I use an Equalizer hitch and upgraded the rear shocks with a set of KYB Monomax monotube shocks and it still porpoises a little. Air bags are on my short list of upgrades to.

Congrats on the trailer.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would play with it I have me brakes well almost stopping the the trailer all by them selfs. I feel the pull back on the truck from the trailer on hard stops

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would play with it I have me brakes well almost stopping the the trailer all by them selfs. I feel the pull back on the truck from the trailer on hard stops
If your feeling the trailer pull back on the truck, you have your brake controller set way too aggressive. Your trailer wheels could lock up and then you'll go for a tumble when it slides out and around you.
You shouldn't feel the trailer push or pull on the truck when stopping, especially with the OEM ITBM.

Old Tractor Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't know about your electric brake controller, but mine has a very small thumb wheel in the left corner to control TT braking. Your model may differ, but if you have e-brake, it can be adjusted. In a safe area (trailer connected), and while moving, apply the truck brakes for a normal stop. If the trailer pushes, turn the thumb wheel one direction or another and try again. After a few stops you should feel a difference. You do not want the TT to tug the truck, but it should be ok if you just feel a little pull to let you know they are working. I'm in the Smoky mountains right now with a 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 with a 4.7L, 5,000# TT and yes it feels sluggish in mountains. I just gear down and let 'er wind out. Temp goes up a little as expected. Hey, it's a RAM it's made to run and tow. Hope this helps.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
How did you make out with adjusting the hitch?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you make out with adjusting the hitch?

We just got back from our first trip. I adjusted the hitch up one notch and that made the ball 2” higher then the trailer when trailer was level. My truck still really sunk. Can I adjust it higher and be ok?

It made a huge difference. Drive 180 miles round trip up and down hills and curvy roads to get to the beach.

I definitely think I will need to add something to keep it more solid but the one adjustment of the hitch helped a ton.

I am hoping I can adjust it some more to keep my truck from dropping so much.

Thank you for checking!

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I believe your dealer just set the WDH to get you down the road, and it is not setup right. As it was suggested by crash, load up the trailer and truck as if you were going to go camping (total weight), then set your WDH to eliminate the porpoising back and forth. That hitch you have probably needs more tension on the hitch bars. Finding a CAT scale near you to actually weight it and get the axle weights of the truck and trailer. Theres quite a few threads about it here.

Start there first.

Then if you find that you still have a little bit of hitching back and forth, then look at a good axle to frame air assist spring or in coil air bag. I prefer the axle to frame air assist spring (Timber Grove ASAM/Air Lift 5000).

Tire wise, there are better tires than the OEMs. But going with a whole new set is a lot more expensive. I went with an XL tire because I didn't like the OEM Goodyear's (Nitto Terra Grappler G2s). Running D or E rated tires aren't bad, but they are heavier and you are increasing rotational mass. Once the Nittos wear out, I will probably go with General HTS60's. It's an XL tire with a higher load rating. I felt the "squirm" of the tires when I was towing my trailer when I had the Goodyears on it.

Start with adjusting your hitch before anything else. Then maybe the air springs or air bags 2nd if you dont like the way it rides or drives.

For your information.. The General HTS60'.... I have them and went on a 5,000 km trip 2 weeks ago and they are awesome.... Went from Niagara Falls Canada to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.... Steep hills and turns and the tires really helps... No wiggle or squishy feeling compared to my old tires which was a A/T tires.... I tow a 25 ft trailer maxed weigh is 6,000 pounds..... The steep hills are hard on the engine but beyond that it's really good

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel

madweazl

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 1500 | '16 2500
Engine
5.7 | 6.4
The gears wont be affecting what you're experiencing but you can add your truck to the MOPAR garage and look up what it was equipped with via the VIN.

You have a large trailer for a 1500 and the only way you're going to get a decent ride is by adding air bags.

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
get a set of tuff truck springs.
replace your tires with a d or e rated tire instead of junkyears.
upgrade your shocks to bilstein 4600 series, if you want no lift or 5100 if you want a level

setup your WD Hitch correctly and get a quality frictiion sway bar.
make sure your trailer is loaded correctly and does not have too much tongue weight or too little.

adjust your brake controller correctly, best way is to find soemone who has trailered b4 and knows what they are doing.

provide is with you tranny and rear end gears

They don't make tuff truck springs for a 2017??

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I would look at the air springs....easy enough to put in...

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I went with Timber Grove air spring assist.

If you have a decent set of wrenches and hand tools, they're easy enough to put in.

In my opinion, the frame to axle air springs are the better of the two options(air spring vs in coil air bag).

When I set my WDH, I then added air to my air springs to help mitigate the porpoising i was experiencing. Didn't replace the factory springs...

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Do the airbags in the coils rather instead of new springs with bags?

yes, air bags usually go inside of the rear coil springs.
Air bags are just that, bags, they are NOT steel.
They will tear, rip or leak, eventually.
If going with air bags, the use seperate air lines to each bag so the air does not flow from one bag, to the toher, when cornering. kinda defeats the purpose of an air bag when that happens.

air bags essentially provide an adjustable bump stump.
Think bottoming out your vehicle and the corresponding stiff jolt that would include.

air can be compressed. when compressed beyond beyond bags ability to withstand, it blows. just like a balloon.

air bags have a purpose and a function. but not the need all , be all, alot of guys think.

Get springs, real hardware, that serves the purpose, then add air bags to help them out, to achieve the ride you desire, when under a load.
doing this will insure your bags are never THAT pressurized and the springs will do the majority of the work, as they are designed.

Bags/Springs run about the same price.
I think springs are probably easier to install.

Luck

PS
Now, for the air bag fanboys, read below:

madweazl

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 1500 | '16 2500
Engine
5.7 | 6.4
Changing springs rates should also be accompanied by a change to your shock valving to provide proper compression and rebound. You're also stuck with that change unloaded which may or may not be desirable. The notion of his 27' trailer weighing roughly 6k (likely around 600lb pin weight) applying enough pressure to rupture an airbag is laughable.