New Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Either they got one hell of a deal in 2013 or that number means something else

BenWH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine just died this weekend, luckily I have another vehicle. Can’t say it didn’t warn me, it had been taking longer to crank for a few months now, so there was warning.
What kinda upsets me is it was just at the dealership getting a $900 radio replacement done and they didn’t bother to even check it because they should have caught that. I would have appreciated the courtesy.

still, I have no complaints. 2015 truck so the battery lasted a good 6 years, I went to Walmart and picked up an ever start for $149. Batteries are sure getting expensive! And I only got a $10 core charge for turning in my old one, swear it used to be higher a decade ago. New one was manufactured 12/20, they were out of AGM though. Funny thing, this new battery has more CCA than my old one!

I placed the old felt cover back on, it’s a little chewed on top from a rodent or something. The screw that holds the better in place is stripped though so it’s not secured anymore

D8EC0106-EA30-426C-847C-24F089281FE2.jpeg

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like I just got the invitation to this party. Went out to start the truck to go to the supermarket to get stuff for the game and for the upcoming snow event. Just in case.... No bueno..... Wouldn't remote start (usually reserved for when I have no gas). Got in... no start! uh oh!!! Then I realize the horn sounds weak and the lights look dim. Reading up on options now. Smh. 2016... I'm gonna guess that I have a 2103 also.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe the universe is telling you to stay home.

ts27330

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
Saturday morning I got the dreaded click, click, click. Original battery, seven years old. Let it charge overnight but it wouldn't fully charge. Looking around a new H7 149.00-220.00. Looked at H8's and Home Depot popped up. H8 for 119.00 CCA's 950 below 32 degrees, 1150 above 32. With military discount, $107.00. I didn't even know Home Depot sold auto batteries. Nick

Any problem with fit? Says H8 will not fit my 2014 1500 (still on OEM battery). Battery tray has plenty of spare to accept larger.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
H7 should be plenty big enough, esp. in AGM. If you really want an H8 for whatever reason, take out the hold down clamp and re-position it.

OP
OP
Nick14

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It fits just fine. There is a plug/spacer on the tray for using the H7. The battery tray is the same as the 3.0 diesel which uses the H8. Nick

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
H7 should be plenty big enough, esp. in AGM. If you really want an H8 for whatever reason, take out the hold down clamp and re-position it.

I guess if it's fine for your winter weather the H7 will be fine for me.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My last Ram was a 2009
When the battery was about to give out , i could not remote start it

It was a Sunday & most every battery place was closed
I went to Firestone & they had a parts runner that was dropping off & picking up parts from other Firestone stores in the area.

I told them that i wanted the best Interstate battery that i could get on short notice, because i had a long distance job on Monday.
Interstate also sells Interstate Mega-tron batteries, they come in a black case & they are made by Interstate, but i had to look hard to find the word Interstate

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Sams club has a good price on AGM.

View attachment 232464

Yes - Duracell is made in the USA by East Penn Mfg. in Pennsylvania. They also make the Deka & Road Runner brands. I went with Odyssey to pack a few more pounds of lead in it. Odyssey and Northstar also made in USA. Important to spend a few more shekels for USA-made quality goods that LAST instead of foreign junk.

All Johnson Controls Batteries now made in Mexico, documented much lower quality than previous Milwaukee-made batteries. (AC Delco, Interstate, etc.)

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Scored a Deka intimidator series AGM for $169 + tax, & $19 core charge at local auto parts chain. I have not been able to find Deka, or any East Penn made batteries anywhere for under $200.
Been using Deka in all my vehicles for the past 10 yrs, regular lead acid type, none have left me stranded. This is my 1st AGM so hopefully they are as reliable or more than there regular batteries.
I noticed my factory battery fully charged was reading 12.0 or 12.2 and wanted to get ahead of it, also thought id find one of those 2013 batteries, but it was manf 1-2018 by Johnson controls

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't see anyone post anything about what could happen after a battery change, so if its useless info, i apologize.
Started truck up after install, radio display was defaulted to a different screen, it didn't recognize my phone, sounded like absolute dog****, cargo light was on, hvac controls didnt work, and no backup camera.
Im not sure if everything came back over time, or after i shut the truck down for a few minutes and came back a second time everything was restored. Was pretty nervous the radio was screwed up. All good now

Octane

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone post anything about what could happen after a battery change, so if its useless info, i apologize.
Started truck up after install, radio display was defaulted to a different screen, it didn't recognize my phone, sounded like absolute dog****, cargo light was on, hvac controls didnt work, and no backup camera.
Im not sure if everything came back over time, or after i shut the truck down for a few minutes and came back a second time everything was restored. Was pretty nervous the radio was screwed up. All good now
I have a 9 volt battery harness that plugs into 12volt power outlet to keep everything working during battery changes.But it is supposed to relearn.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an OBD2 adapter that I plug into my jump pack that I use for battery replacements to prevent any problems.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I noticed my OE 2017 Ram battery said 2013 on the side also.

So i just checked mine and low and behold, my 2017 Ram Limited still has the original 2013 battery. i have a portable jumper pack in my truck that can handle up to 8 liter gas or diesel so i'm not too concerned if it starts acting funny but i'm shocked. Also goes to show you that its more about how a battery is maintained, less about how old it is sometimes.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Odyssey 94r-850 is $259 (just went up, was $229), that's double, not triple a good wet cell.
btw, for ***** and giggles i checked and you can get one for $256 from FCP Euro and everyone else is over $330!!!

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
So i just checked mine and low and behold, my 2017 Ram Limited still has the original 2013 battery. i have a portable jumper pack in my truck that can handle up to 8 liter gas or diesel so i'm not too concerned if it starts acting funny but i'm shocked. Also goes to show you that its more about how a battery is maintained, less about how old it is sometimes.
Also, my truck spent its whole life in Canada before I bought it near Sandy Utah. so rust and harsh weather and still got 10 years on it? holy crap

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
@HEMIMANN i'm probably just gonna replace it with a costco AGM and if they don't have one, i'll get an Everstart AGM from walmart. they're both under $200.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@HEMIMANN i'm probably just gonna replace it with a costco AGM and if they don't have one, i'll get an Everstart AGM from walmart. they're both under $200.

Yeah, I don't know anything about quality differences between AGM makers and brands. I do know Odyssey and Northstar are best of the best, I guess the prices reflect it. I'm wary of anything not made in US regarding batteries. When Johnson Controls closed the Milwaukee Plant and moved to Mexico, the quality went way downhill, as documented by owner reports. JC makes a lot of brands, I don't know them all. East Penn is still made in US, Duracell, Deka, etc.