New Brake Light Switch Causes No Brake Lights and Locks Truck In Park. Also, SERV 4wd, BAS, Traction Control issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rksimmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7
I bought two new brake light switches and I hear them lock as soon as I connect each different one (bought a second in case it was the wrong part). When I go back to the original brake light switch I do not have a problem with the shifting/brake lights. One switch was from Amazon (third party$ and the other was from Advanced Auto.
-This was all in an effort to help solve the errors ESP, SERV 4WD, Traction Control, etc. The shop has replaced my speed sensors three or four times and the problem goes away for a while and then pops back up - they said all the wiring is fine). I took a long trip two weeks ago and the errors won’t go away (results in no cruise control and dash errors). Some of these forums suggested replacing brake light switch so that was my latest attempt …

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought two new brake light switches and I hear them lock as soon as I connect each different one (bought a second in case it was the wrong part). When I go back to the original brake light switch I do not have a problem with the shifting/brake lights. One switch was from Amazon (third party$ and the other was from Advanced Auto.
-This was all in an effort to help solve the errors ESP, SERV 4WD, Traction Control, etc. The shop has replaced my speed sensors three or four times and the problem goes away for a while and then pops back up - they said all the wiring is fine). I took a long trip two weeks ago and the errors won’t go away (results in no cruise control and dash errors). Some of these forums suggested replacing brake light switch so that was my latest attempt …

After installing the new (hopefully OEM Mopar) brake light switch, pull the brake pedal rearward - then push it forward until the pedal stops. This will calibrate / adjust the new switch plunger to your brake pedal.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When my switch was failing, I went to the "Live readings" part of the scanner and pushed the brake pedal 30x or so, and periodically I could see via the scan tool, the switch not activating as it should. That told me the switch was failing. Maybe your mechanic did that (??). If not, might be worth a shot testing via a scan tool..for any errors.

Or just get an OEM switch to be sure you're getting the 'right' item. Look the part number up on the Mopar forum. You wouldn't think two switches would be bad, but... IDK. There's a wierd discrepancy there with those and your old one.