New car shopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for something that has enough cargo room and short enough to fit under my storage lift max 70”Looking at Gla 250 audi Q5 or suburu out and forester. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.No used or hybrids

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
It would be good to know your price range. Given your requirements and assuming price doesn't matter, I'd recommend something like an Audi RSQ8. But realizing price is probably a concern it would be good to know what your range would be.

OP
OP
D

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would be good to know your price range. Given your requirements and assuming price doesn't matter, I'd recommend something like an Audi RSQ8. But realizing price is probably a concern it would be good to know what your range would be.
Yes that would have been nice sorry.Trying to stay under 60k Now considering going to see an outback touring xt 45k It’s becoming a which car do I hate less.Im used to a tuned Audi or a S/C Ram.The Audis and Mercs are all hybrids

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subaru builds a good vehicle. Audi is nice, but I could not see myself in one. I think if it were my choice I would go with the Subaru.

OP
OP
D

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m trying to get past that touch screen that controls nearly everything and a cvt trans,new issue with the tcv valve that replaced the thermostat.Not to mention the idiotic plastic all over the body.Dam if it doesn’t have 76 cu ft.of cargo and 260 hp.I can’t find a second place for something that will fit under the small lift since the tall side is truck and vette.IMG_2913.jpeg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Yes that would have been nice sorry.Trying to stay under 60k Now considering going to see an outback touring xt 45k It’s becoming a which car do I hate less.Im used to a tuned Audi or a S/C Ram.The Audis and Mercs are all hybrids
Can't speak to Mercedes but I can speak to Audi. We currently own two of them, an A4 Allroad and an S5 Sportback. Neither of which is really a hybrid, although both have systems that are very similar to the etorque system Ram uses. Because of that they are technically classified as mild hybrids, but are nothing like a full hybrid.

I was initially going to recommend an A4 Allroad, but I'm not sure they would have enough cargo space for you. They have less than an Outback when comparing them. But the driving experience is night and day between the two. There's no way I'd buy a car based on which one I hated less. Are you in any way comfortable with buying used? It would definitely open up your choices.

OP
OP
D

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t know about the “mild hybrid system” but I do see lithium batteries listed and I want a regular gas car.I always wanted a alroad but since storage is why we are car shopping a lot of them are eliminated. So you don’t see any possible long term problems with the hybrid setups that Volvo merc.and Audi have.That cvt on the suburu sounds worse the more I look (24)

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
While I'd rather have a manual transmission in a car, the 7 speed dual clutch transmission in the Allroad works great. My only issue with it is the need to replace the fluid every 40k miles. Audi's are great cars but you definitely need to be diligent with the scheduled maintenance.

I can't speak to the long term reliability of Audi's mild hybrid system. It's only been in A4's since the 2021 model year. I imagine it will be a lot like Ram's etorque system reliability because of the similarities between them.

I'm with you regarding the CVT. That would drive me bonkers even with Subaru trying to mimic it having actual "gears". I've owned two Subaru's in the past, both WRX's. Fun cars but not the best for longer drives. In 2020 I rented an Outback for a week. I absolutely hated it. You might want to try renting one before committing to buying one.

OP
OP
D

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While I'd rather have a manual transmission in a car, the 7 speed dual clutch transmission in the Allroad works great. My only issue with it is the need to replace the fluid every 40k miles. Audi's are great cars but you definitely need to be diligent with the scheduled maintenance.

I can't speak to the long term reliability of Audi's mild hybrid system. It's only been in A4's since the 2021 model year. I imagine it will be a lot like Ram's etorque system reliability because of the similarities between them.

I'm with you regarding the CVT. That would drive me bonkers even with Subaru trying to mimic it having actual "gears". I've owned two Subaru's in the past, both WRX's. Fun cars but not the best for longer drives. In 2020 I rented an Outback for a week. I absolutely hated it. You might want to try renting one before committing to buying one.
That is a great idea I’m expecting it to be like my first ride in a Polaris UTV. It’s too late for this 2400 mile trip and hate putting the miles on my 19 ram.But the new car would need a break in anyway so I have time to shop.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We have an Audi Q7 and, as I understand, the "hybrid system" is a battery that runs all the electrics when the gas engine shuts down in the "stop/start" mode. It provides no drive power. I think they throw the word hybrid around because it's trendy... As an aside the Audi stop/start is the best I've had. It really seems invisible. I've shut it off in every other car I've had, but leave it on in the Q7.

OP
OP
D

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We gave up on something short enough to fit under our HD9 lift and will raise it up with blocks if necessary because now mama is hot on the grand Cherokee limited.At least I’m familiar with this platform if we manage to get a hemi without going 3rd row.69k though.Check back after we go drive it.

OP
OP
D

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s crazy trying to get something but now we narrowed it down to this.Drove one without the magnetic ride and decided to spend the money to get the package.Needed the towing package anyway for the massive carrier for the E bikes but if I didn’t have one foot on a banana peel nowadays I wouldn’t spend this on a caddy.We are waiting for the dealer to get it so no pictures and no test drive IMG_2932.jpegIMG_2417.jpegIMG_2781.jpeg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
It’s crazy trying to get something but now we narrowed it down to this.Drove one without the magnetic ride and decided to spend the money to get the package.Needed the towing package anyway for the massive carrier for the E bikes but if I didn’t have one foot on a banana peel nowadays I wouldn’t spend this on a caddy.We are waiting for the dealer to get it so no pictures and no test drive View attachment 543108View attachment 543114View attachment 543115
What kind of interest rate are they giving you? My local Audi dealership just sent out an email today announcing 3.99%. I still think that’s high but for current times it’s a very good rate.

Derwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve owned two Subaru Outback’s (2014 & 2019) and they have been dependable and very capable in the snow and sand. The maintenance is less expensive than expected and most importantly my wife loves them.

OP
OP
D

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love to find a 1954 Chevy pickup to play with…that I can afford
I’ve owned two Subaru Outback’s (2014 & 2019) and they have been dependable and very capable in the snow and sand. The maintenance is less expensive than expected and most importantly my wife loves them.
The wife part is key

OP
OP
D

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of interest rate are they giving you? My local Audi dealership just sent out an email today announcing 3.99%. I still think that’s high but for current times it’s a very good rate.
Not planning to finance doesn’t seem to be any extra incentives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57