New Dodge owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone
Im new to this forum. I just bought an 86 dodge ram w250 as my first truck. It currently needs a carburetor rebuild but seems like a solid and mostly original truck. The seller told me I should just buy a 4 barrel carb and do away with the two barrel. I don't know a whole lot about automotive carburetors so I was wondering if anyone had advice.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will need to change the intake manifold if you want to go that route. I would find a new or remanufatured 2 barrel and keep things simple . Changing to a 4 won’t make much difference unless you put a different camshaft in also.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome:To the Ram Forum, leave it stock not worth all the headaches for a 4 barrel, how about some pics.

RealTruck

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Good deal on your new Ram! Can't wait to see what you've got in store for it.

Welcome to the forum!

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
If financial institutions are not a concern fuel injection is the way to go. From the picture it looks like a very solid truck and it might be worth the investment. Any way welcome and have fun with your truck

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
I bought a 1968 250 brand new back in the day. Loved that truck and boy could I push some snow with that truck. Think it had a 360 in it.

Mopar~Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone
Im new to this forum. I just bought an 86 dodge ram w250 as my first truck. It currently needs a carburetor rebuild but seems like a solid and mostly original truck. The seller told me I should just buy a 4 barrel carb and do away with the two barrel.

What engine / transmission does it have? I'm assuming a 318, possibly automatic (904?). FWD or AWD? It might even have roller lifters which is really nice because you don't have to look for high-zinc (ZDDP) engine oil. You should, btw, change the oil and filter before you turn the key. If you've already run the engine without doing that, and you don't know the history of the oil currently in the engine, you've done a disservice to it. Same with the gas in the tank when you got it.

4-barrel carbs on a 318 are useless unless you have a high lift cam and you intend to run this engine mostly at high rpm's. The cost of a 4-bbl carb and correct 4-bbl intake is huge and you'll still end up putzing with the carb, tuning it up.

The big thing is running the engine on low or no-ethanol gas, if that's available where you are. A lot of states have made 10% ethanol standard and impossible to get zero-ethanol gas. I find it's getting harder to tune carbs these days on 10% ethanol gas, to have a good low-rpm idle.

I don't know what Chrysler was using for 2-bbl carbs in the 80's but if a 1970's era Carter BBD carb will work, look up something called a "Dromedary" carb on ebay-amazon. Yes, made out of chinesium, but they're cheap and will get it running if you really do need carb work.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What engine / transmission does it have? I'm assuming a 318, possibly automatic (904?). FWD or AWD? It might even have roller lifters which is really nice because you don't have to look for high-zinc (ZDDP) engine oil. You should, btw, change the oil and filter before you turn the key. If you've already run the engine without doing that, and you don't know the history of the oil currently in the engine, you've done a disservice to it. Same with the gas in the tank when you got it.

4-barrel carbs on a 318 are useless unless you have a high lift cam and you intend to run this engine mostly at high rpm's. The cost of a 4-bbl carb and correct 4-bbl intake is huge and you'll still end up putzing with the carb, tuning it up.

The big thing is running the engine on low or no-ethanol gas, if that's available where you are. A lot of states have made 10% ethanol standard and impossible to get zero-ethanol gas. I find it's getting harder to tune carbs these days on 10% ethanol gas, to have a good low-rpm idle.

I don't know what Chrysler was using for 2-bbl carbs in the 80's but if a 1970's era Carter BBD carb will work, look up something called a "Dromedary" carb on ebay-amazon. Yes, made out of chinesium, but they're cheap and will get it running if you really do need carb work.
Carters... He could drop on an adapt o plate and cheat and go up to 4 barrel, but why. Just rebuild the 2 barrel or get one. OP, they were known to leak at the gaskets between carb and intake, if possible get new gasket also.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
A lot of times a good soak in cleaner, and new gaskets are all these carbs need, Can you still buy a kit I wonder. Dad had the same thing, but 1/2T, Brother still haves it parked I believe. Looks like a 4x4.
Good trucks, simple to work on. Dad's had a 360 and it was super good on fuel. I had a older one 3/4 ton with 360, brother had same with a 400 motor, bit better to pull a trailer.
I put headers and duals on mine. I went 4 barrel, as I was doing a fair bit of hd pulling. I had all the stuff already, would not be worth it these days.
I use to have that chrome trim you are needing , but sold when I moved few yrs back. and too far away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
David Vandercook
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is the 318 auto 4×4. I did change the oil. I currently am running shell diesel oil 15 40 because a lot of people have recommended it for an old truck. I did get the carburetor rebuilt and it runs great. I pulled all the trim off because I figured I either needed it all or not at all.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I would think that being a W250 it would have an A727 transmission, even behind a 318.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 110857 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would think that being a W250 it would have an A727 transmission, even behind a 318.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 110857 miles.
I misread the year (1986, not 1976).

A 1986 W250 used the A518/46RH which is a A727 Loadflite with the overdrive unit making it a four speed.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111007 miles.

Snowchief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2bbl then YouTube “Mikes Carburetor “ sells the kit and shows how to rebuild. Or YouTube “318 Will Run” switches over 2bbl to 4bbl very informative. It does make a difference, actually in the 80’s there was a factory 4bbl 318 option offered at times on Trucks/Vans. So used intakes do show up or buy new.Open element air intake, headers,get rid of cat, 3in single or 2 1/2in duals,replace if needed timing chain, same with dizzy,put some timing advance into it, tune carb,go out show that nice 2tone paint and enjoy! P.S.make sure you get your linkage right when going to 4bbl, lastly in 86 they were still 3spd autos no o/d

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2bbl then YouTube “Mikes Carburetor “ sells the kit and shows how to rebuild. Or YouTube “318 Will Run” switches over 2bbl to 4bbl very informative. It does make a difference, actually in the 80’s there was a factory 4bbl 318 option offered at times on Trucks/Vans. So used intakes do show up or buy new.Open element air intake, headers,get rid of cat, 3in single or 2 1/2in duals,replace if needed timing chain, same with dizzy,put some timing advance into it, tune carb,go out show that nice 2tone paint and enjoy! P.S.make sure you get your linkage right when going to 4bbl, lastly in 86 they were still 3spd autos no o/d
I sourced the 2013 ATRA book which lists the A518 in use for trucks in 1986, but I've found mistakes in the ATRA book before. However, the RH equivalents were not available until 1990, which makes me believe you are correct.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111011 miles.