New Gen 3 Ram 1500 Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
Hey everyone - recently purchased a new to me 2005 Ram 1500 4x2 SLT Quad Cab Thunderroad with 5.7 Hemi. This is my first truck so not really sure how well I did on the purchase. Here are some specs:
- 2 owner with 150k miles
- no accidents and clean title
- exterior is in good condition, minor dings and scrapes but nothing too serious
- has 20" chrome wheels
- tow package
- running boards

The bad:
- Driver seat cushion and seat need replacement (bought seat covers)
- Center console cushion needs to be replaced (~ $100)
- Rear sliding glass cracked and has to be replaced (purchased)
- front end (ball joints) need to be replaced (purchased moog parts)

I paid $6k, I figure with the replacement parts and labor I am looking at ~$6500 total...what do you guys think, did i get hosed?

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I look at it this way, if you can afford it and it made you smile the first time you drove it then it is worth it. I've seen those for a little less and seen them for a little more, you are in the ballpark. I paid too much for mine and I still love it.

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I paid $4000 for my '03 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4. When I bought it had 182,00 Km/s on it. Since then I changed the A/C compressor, heater core, clock spring, and one ball joint. Beyond that it's been a blast to drive, even if it's not a Hemi. But as Jamman stated, it made me smile when I drove it so I'm happy with it. Still does every time I drive it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
Yes, the truck does put a **** eating grin on my face, so in that respect I'm happy. Having never owned a truck, I love everything about the feeling and sound of that throaty v8.

I just wasn't sure if I overpaid, KBB puts the truck between $7k and $9k so I figured it was a decent price, considering some of the repairs required.

I do have a general question about the truck that kind of confuses me. Thunder Roads are said to be equipped with the tow package and 3.92 gear ratio, but when I check the VIN, the original build states 3.21...what gives?

Also thinking about a tune up, I am sure that the plugs havent been replaced and the air/oil filter need to be replaced. Any idea how much i can expect to pay for a tune up?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plugs will probably run you about $40. Air filter, I think I paid $14 at Wal-Mart for Fram. I use a high mileage Fram oil filter, they're about $8. You need 7 qts oil of whatever flavor feeds your fancy. Congrats on the purchase!

Not sure about the gear thing. My 06 with the tie package came with 3.55s.

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
Plugs will probably run you about $40. Air filter, I think I paid $14 at Wal-Mart for Fram. I use a high mileage Fram oil filter, they're about $8. You need 7 qts oil of whatever flavor feeds your fancy. Congrats on the purchase!

Not sure about the gear thing. My 06 with the tie package came with 3.55s.
Thanks for the reply...plugs aren't crazy expensive but I read that it isn't that easy to replace them, sounds rather labor intensive for a noob. Would plug replacement usually be included in a tune up?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Yes, the truck does put a **** eating grin on my face, so in that respect I'm happy. Having never owned a truck, I love everything about the feeling and sound of that throaty v8.

I just wasn't sure if I overpaid, KBB puts the truck between $7k and $9k so I figured it was a decent price, considering some of the repairs required.

I do have a general question about the truck that kind of confuses me. Thunder Roads are said to be equipped with the tow package and 3.92 gear ratio, but when I check the VIN, the original build states 3.21...what gives?

Also thinking about a tune up, I am sure that the plugs havent been replaced and the air/oil filter need to be replaced. Any idea how much i can expect to pay for a tune up?

I think youre right, if its the Thunder Road pkg it should have 3.92 gears. There should be a metal tag on one of the rear differential bolts with the gear ratio stamped on it. It sounds like a nice truck, if the body is in good shape I don't think you got hosed at 6K.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
By the way. If you need to replace the slider, you will probably have to replace the entire rear window. I do not believe you can replace any sections.

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
on a lighter note if you lived in the UK you would have paid 3-4 times as much and then the gas !!!

I've had mine 3 days and love it - just done one of the easiest jobs replacing front pads.

Fix it up how you want it and enjoy

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
I think youre right, if its the Thunder Road pkg it should have 3.92 gears. There should be a metal tag on one of the rear differential bolts with the gear ratio stamped on it. It sounds like a nice truck, if the body is in good shape I don't think you got hosed at 6K.
Thanks RonJon, I will take a look at the diff tonight, I'm hoping its a 3.92. I will try and post some pics later.

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
By the way. If you need to replace the slider, you will probably have to replace the entire rear window. I do not believe you can replace any sections.
Oh man, if you're right then that really sucks...just spent $100 on the rear slider [emoji35]

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
on a lighter note if you lived in the UK you would have paid 3-4 times as much and then the gas !!!

I've had mine 3 days and love it - just done one of the easiest jobs replacing front pads.

Fix it up how you want it and enjoy
Yeah there isn't much as reliable as a hemi v8 available for $6k these days...

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Thanks RonJon, I will take a look at the diff tonight, I'm hoping its a 3.92. I will try and post some pics later.

If you don't see a metal tag then try looking for a white sticker. It might be on the axle, in the glove box or under the hood. I found this info in another thread.

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
If you don't see a metal tag then try looking for a white sticker. It might be on the axle, in the glove box or under the hood. I found this info in another thread.

Checked everywhere, couldn't find a metal tag or sticker...also checked glove box and under hood. Just going to assume its 3.21, don't plan on hauling much for now...

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
Here's a pic for you guys.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418735457402.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418735457402.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 47

blk05hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Nice truck looks exactly how mine looked when i got it. Id bet you have 3.92 gears back there.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nice truck! :welcome: to RF.

I think you got a great deal just because of the condition of the body. Most mechanical issues are easy to deal with without special installations.

As for the plugs, they are not so bad to deal with, just need some patience as a noob. Make sure you use copper core plugs. Hemi especially don't like anything else. Copper core plugs will by far give you the best performance and gas mileage. Also use dielectric grease on both the coil pack boots and wire boots as they provide a better seal on the plugs and ensure the current goes through the plugs and not ground directly to the head.

Once you'll be done with the basic stuff you'll have a good time modding. Plenty of parts at an affordable price to make your truck stand out and increase the smile to the face factor.

Enjoy!