New Member from Earthquake Country

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good day to the RAMforum members.

I wish I was here under better circumstances as the reason for my signing up today, searching for defect solutions. However, I hope that this will pass and I'll be able to settle down to helping others instead as the time moves on.

I started out with a 2005 2500 turbo diesel, regular cab and drove that around for about 100,000 miles. LOVED that truck, not a hint of problems. My next go was a 2017 2500 diesel Crew Cab bought used with 12K miles. That one didn't turn out so great. Two year ordeal into a lawsuit, now settled, FCA took back. Next up is my new 2019 two week old Big Horn 2500 6.7L diesel crew cab. This truck is why I'm here today. Sorry to say went from show room to shop, 800 miles on it.

Hey, I get it, I own RAMS. I believe this new issue will resolve itself and with Tim G having done the real hard work with his resolution with his Cab Clunking posts, I too with see this pass.

Again, I realize I'm supposed to introduce myself a bit differently, but hey, here I am and thank you all and this site toward helping us all. I truly do have a lot of experience and am certain I'll be able to help others here, especially those up against the stops when not getting resolutions to their problems.

Thank you everybody,

JoeSee

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum, sorry you are having issues with your new Ram. But by your posting it appears you are mature enough to understand that things happen, especially when dealing with a mass produced product.

Good luck with yours, you are on the right site of looking for answers or suggestions.

Hawkman

OP
OP
JoeSee

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you all.

Hawkman, thank you for your kind words. At my age, 64 I've learned it's just best to be nice. You may have seen I did indeed have to do a lawsuit with FCA. That on the surface seems bad. In reality FCA RAM did everything right. They replaced my defective component and were more than happy to take care of me. It was the dealer and FCA middleman that didn't perform. I wouldn't have turned right around and purchased a new truck if FCA RAM hadn't taken care of me. When you see Ramcares here use their folks. It's better to get through them first and then the dealer.

natethecarlover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome!
f1074c1616d4d68e60525bcd1cbbaf59.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So what kind of problems did you have with the 2017 and also the new truck?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Welcome.
Sorry to hear your dealer failed.
I'm fortunate to have a great dealer and outstanding Service Manager.

OP
OP
JoeSee

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
mtnrider, here is a link to my postings on that subject. It's in a thread started by member Tim G on tradesman, cab clunking. His thread is how I found this site. My post link https://www.ramforum.com/threads/new-2500-tradesman-with-clunk-rattle.147622/page-10

My last truck, a SLT 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L diesel was for the most part a fine truck. However, it pulled to the right always. I bought the truck used with 12K miles, it was a fleet rental.

I took it in to the dealer first and they put it on their alignment rack but put their thumb on the scale and said tire pull. Gave me an alignment sheet with good numbers. I took it down the street to another tire shop I like and had them check it. The sheets were so far off you could see I got frosted. I took it back to the dealer and was told, hey, with numbers like that you better take it to a frame shop since the rear axle was so bad. Told me it must've been wrecked once. I said but it's under warranty and it's never been wrecked? So I took it to a frame shop and they spent about 3 hours doing a thorough inspection report. Verdict, rear axle on passenger side is out a 1/4 of a degree, welded crooked. Also documented proof truck never been wrecked.

Now in support of FCA RAM once I got enough proof, that wasn't easy and took a month or longer back and forth, they sent the dealer a new axle to put in. That's where the trouble started. It's a 250 mile round trip for me to go to the dealer. I took between 15-20 trips there during this mess, some 4500 miles total. To shorten this story the mechanic put all the brackets on backward, routed all the brake cabling wrong, and the best part, never used a torque wrench on anything. This man could've killed us. I drove the truck about 1200 miles before I realized the main spring on the passenger side wasn't in it's upper containment plug. It was laying at an angle up in the metal hosing area of the bed.

Took it back and he fixed that and the brackets and brake cables. I couldn't use the emergency brake until the cables were routed properly. Next comes the never ending clunk problem. Back and forth to the dealer on this one 11 times. Final analysis once they got the Regional Tech to look at it, bolts not torqued. Who wouldn't want their rear end of their truck not bolted on tight. Keep in mind, I asked the mechanic to check it on more than one occasion and he always said "good to go". Also, folks here are probably saying why didn't you check it? We were the ones that brought all of the issues to their attention but the mechanic lied always. He was trying to cover his ass at this point because he was scared to lose his job. Also, I didn't have a torque wrench that can reach those values. And also keep this in mind; if they find out you're working on the vehicle at the same time that ends it, you don't have the warranty after that. On more than one occasion they in fact asked if we had touched the parts underneath. Also, with the control arms clunking in the cradles I didn't want to keep the truck after they finally torqued the bolts since I assumed the bolt holes are now egg shaped or more.

So finally it was suggested go Lemon Law route. I did and another year later here I am with my new truck, and yes, more clunking fun shown in my post link above.