New owner - RAM 1500 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mk61hacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I've placed the order for 1500 Limited Delmonico Red/Black with the most optioned incl. ramboxes. Now the wait ~8 weeks per dealer.

I guess I'm different than most here since it's my first truck and 1st American car ever. I live in San Francisco, CA bay area and owned mostly MB/BMW all my life (like almost everyone else here). But I'm into bass fishing and water sports and my GLS 550 just won't do it for long trips with heavy 23-foot mastercraft. It can tow my Ranger z521c fine but heavier boats is sketchy...

Another interesting observation is that although I'm driving so-called luxury SUV ($110K GLS 550) the RAM 1500 Limited is 100% on par with interior quality design and finish wise. It has more features as well. It rides (!) better than GLS 550 which was shocking to me. Needless to say it has more way more space passenger and cargo wise and just more practical. Even my wife bought in after she got over the fact that we are going to be 1st truck owners in our community :) Welcome to suburban california...

So I'm excited to get the "luxury practicality" in a form of RAM 1500 and I'm looking forward to many years of service. Hopefully, it would be as reliable as my MBs were (which are bulletproof) and not like my BMWs were (that are very finicky and unreliable in general).

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Welcome to the forum bud, you picked a nice ride. Rams have come a long way that’s for sure. Now I don’t know if it’s just me being bias but I see a lot more dodge/Ram trucks more than any other brand.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum and congrats on the new truck.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I would consider adding the Maxcare warranty just for a little extra insurance depending upon how long you keep your vehicles past the BTB warranty. From what I've seen some of these new 2019s are having some first year quality issues so hopefully all the bugs will be worked out by the time you receive yours. Good luck!

Nola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats,bet you can't wait to get it. I ordered mine on 8/29, it got a vin the next day, went to D1 on 9/04 with a build date of 9/20. Looking forward to getting it !

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum and the purchase of a 5th Gen Ram.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on your new limo. Interiors on the 2019 Limited rival those of German cars costing twice as much. Think you’ll be a happy owner.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Now I don’t know if it’s just me being bias but I see a lot more dodge/Ram trucks more than any other brand.

ABSOLUTELEY! Here on Long Island, 5 years ago I would see about 5 or 10 to 1 Fords to Rams. Now I would say I see about 5 Rams and 2 Fords! And coincidentally enough, I had a Ford of course, and now have a RAM! Go figure! ;)

OP
OP
mk61hacker

mk61hacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update....

GMC dealer emailed me that they got GMC 1500 Denali in stock - and I went ahead and test drove it (that's one model I didn't get to test before I placed an order for RAM). Why not :)

1. Interestingly they offered to match the price of RAM right away (~5K discount from Denali MSRP). It was 5.3L engine though...
2. It's a great looking truck. Not sure which one I like better exterior wise. GMC is more muscular. It certainly looks for its price.
3. New tailgate actually is pretty cool (considering zero features in RAM as far as bed access). Just need to remember to stow away your trailer hitch :)
4. New backseat storage is a joke... Odd small shape, impossible to clean if anything spills. Looks like an absolute gimmick.
5. Interior... where do I begin? May be I'm biased or whatever - but it looks and feels like a complete letdown. I see they were going for practical simplicity and functionality over the style - but it just looks and feels cheap. You can execute on this idea in a much better way. I'm a photographer. Look at Leica - it's a very simple camera with a very few buttons but anyone who holds it for a second knows why it costs $7K. When you sit in Denali you are wondering WTF, especially backseats.
6. GMC HUD and camera mirror are very cool and very handy. Excellent features and it's a bit perplexing that RAM couldn't find a supplier for HUD at this price range. Some brands have had it for over decade now.
7. GMC ride is definitely a step down from RAM. I test drove Denali on rather smooth road but my typical test is to go over reflectors. GMC makes you feel every pebble - a typical truck ride, busy and somewhat bouncy. RAM 1500 is very reminiscent of my GLS but more suppler. As a daily driver this is a huge advantage of RAM.
8. Lastly - why even offer 5.3 engine in Denali price range? It felt downright sluggish. HEMI 5.7 isn't too fast either but that 5.3L was struggling to move this truck. I'm coming from twin-turbo V8 - but how do you except to tow with it? It has ~9000 towing capacity and I just don't see it make it through the hills drama-free with anything close that weight. Especially, with 321 gearing and no option to change it.

Common comments:
- No massaging seats on $70 automobile? I'm surprised that specifically truck don't offer it (except for Ford). It's not luxury but of a wellness feature. After hard day of physical work (or bass fishing, or wake surfing) it's great to have a decent massage as you drive back home. I'll pay for that option - how hard is to offer it?!?

- No ambient lighting in any of the trucks. This is a hot trend in all major luxury brands, it's cheap, and makes the interior so much more inviting during the nigh. MB/BMW/Audi/Lexus/etc. all do it. Cost of LEDs is almost zero nowadays. Strange...

- Both GMC and RAM limit 360 view capability if tow mirrors are chosen. Why?!? Even RAM dealer was perplexed on such awkward situation. Both features are essential for towing but you can't have them both.

Ok, that's all I have on top of my mind after test driving 2019 Denali.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update....

GMC dealer emailed me that they got GMC 1500 Denali in stock - and I went ahead and test drove it (that's one model I didn't get to test before I placed an order for RAM).

3. New tailgate actually is pretty cool (considering zero features in RAM as far as bed access). Just need to remember to stow away your trailer hitch :)

- No ambient lighting in any of the trucks. This is a hot trend in all major luxury brands, it's cheap, and makes the interior so much more inviting during the nigh. MB/BMW/Audi/Lexus/etc. all do it. Cost of LEDs is almost zero nowadays. Strange...

Agree. The GMC did not ride well.

I must have missed the tailgate features...what were they?

My Ram 2019 Laramie has ambient lighting front and back. Are you sure you don't have it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome:to the Forum and the Ramily. Lol!

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree. The GMC did not ride well.

I must have missed the tailgate features...what were they?

My Ram 2019 Laramie has ambient lighting front and back. Are you sure you don't have it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Heck my 2018 1500 Limited has ambient “sapphire blue” lighting. I get compliments on it frequently.

I’m wondering it what he really means is the customizable multi color LED interior lighting options that are available on upscale luxury models in cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dalton2425Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Can’t wait to see some pics of your truck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk