New RAM owner - Now what? LOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport - Blue Streak
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was an owner of a 2011 1500 Laramie.
Traded it in today on a 2016 with 49 miles on it.
So of course, I need to modify it.

De-badging probably.
Exhaust: I'd like something that really snorts when you get on it, but isn't obnoxious when normally driving. I'm open to suggestions.

I'll need running boards of some sort. My Laramie boards were flimsy feeling and I'd like something MUCH firmer. Again, open to suggestions.

My rear axle ratio is 3.21 so I'm a bit concerned about larger tires, but I have a ton to learn/do before going there.

The stereo is OK. Not like the Alpine I left behind in the Laramie, so I'm all ears on some simple upgrades there.

I'd like to put wheels/tires on it, upgrade the interior lighting, and I'm sure other things, including possibly putting a topper shell on it for work purposes.

I know you guys get sick of answering these questions, but there's so many threads on so many things you can do it becomes overwhelming and I don't know which ones worked out and which ones flopped.

Is there a "Master" list of mods that are very successful?

13709855_10154360445182533_4730346176743407114_n.jpg

RR7_905RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
AEM dryflow air filter. Cheap, washable (lifetime use if you take care of it), won't void your warranty (all you gotta do is pop your OEM filter back in - wait until the stealership sells you a new one when you're in getting an oil change, so you have a clean OEM filter to pop in as-needed). I'm seeing a noticeable mpg improvement - mathematically. Consistently achieving 21.5-24mpg on my longer highway drives. The variation is dependent on how fast I'm cruising along/headwinds ect. +1.5mpg with my mixed suburb driving during my weekday routine. I'm sure it's good for a little bit of power, probably not enough to notice though - I can't really feel a difference most of the time.

Magnaflow mufflers sound great.

Dunno what to tell ya about the stereo - Alpine system was a requirement for me.

3.21 axle - also dont know what to tell ya - 3.92 was another requirement of mine, Lol.

I like the stock rims, but as soon as my original tires are dead (couple months from now) I'm gunna try out Nitto Terra Grapplers - otherwise, I hear a lot of positive reviews on a good number of other truck tires.

Oh, and nice color, love that blue!

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Put one of the tailgate assists in back, and maybe string up some lights inside the bed. They are great for finding things at night.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Congrats on the new truck!

1. MBRP exhaust
2. AMP power running boards
3. How large are you going to go on the tires? 3.21 should be fine with bigger tires, but will jusy be sluggish depending on how big you go.
4. Depending on the type of interior lights you may not be able to change them, without a huge hassle. My 2014 Longhorn couldn't be changed, neither can my 2016 Limited.

I'd definitely recommend the dee zee tailgate assist as a first mod though!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I did 35's, and the 3.21's still work perfectly.

Does it have cloth, or leather?

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
AEM dryflow air filter. Cheap, washable (lifetime use if you take care of it), won't void your warranty (all you gotta do is pop your OEM filter back in - wait until the stealership sells you a new one when you're in getting an oil change, so you have a clean OEM filter to pop in as-needed). I'm seeing a noticeable mpg improvement - mathematically. Consistently achieving 21.5-24mpg on my longer highway drives. The variation is dependent on how fast I'm cruising along/headwinds ect. +1.5mpg with my mixed suburb driving during my weekday routine. I'm sure it's good for a little bit of power, probably not enough to notice though - I can't really feel a difference most of the time.

Magnaflow mufflers sound great.

Dunno what to tell ya about the stereo - Alpine system was a requirement for me.

3.21 axle - also dont know what to tell ya - 3.92 was another requirement of mine, Lol.

I like the stock rims, but as soon as my original tires are dead (couple months from now) I'm gunna try out Nitto Terra Grapplers - otherwise, I hear a lot of positive reviews on a good number of other truck tires.

Oh, and nice color, love that blue!

I'll check out the air filter! Thanks for the tip.

Exhaust? OMG it's like trying to pick which woman to marry.

The stereo I'll have addressed at Best Buy probably. I have a buddy.

The axle; I can't fix unless I want to spend a ton apparently.

Thanks on the color. I freakin love this color.

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put one of the tailgate assists in back, and maybe string up some lights inside the bed. They are great for finding things at night.

Is that the Zee Dee thing? Shock for the tailgate?

Everybody says it's a must do, so I'll look for that today.

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the new truck!

1. MBRP exhaust
2. AMP power running boards
3. How large are you going to go on the tires? 3.21 should be fine with bigger tires, but will jusy be sluggish depending on how big you go.
4. Depending on the type of interior lights you may not be able to change them, without a huge hassle. My 2014 Longhorn couldn't be changed, neither can my 2016 Limited.

I'd definitely recommend the dee zee tailgate assist as a first mod though!

Thanks! Love the truck. Don't wanna even drive it. Just wanna look at it.
LOL.

Why do you say MBRP?

On those running boards, do they mount differently than the stockers? My 2011 boards seemed super flimsy and I hated that feeling like they were going to break or tear through.

Tires; don't know. I'd like to put somewhat of a lift on it. Maybe 4 to 6".
I don't want a MONSTER truck, so I'm thinking 33 or 35. Recommendations?

The interior lights I think will be some LED's I'll mount under the seats and dash above the foot wells.
Something like this: LEDGlow 6pc. Flexible LED Million Color Interior Lights

I may put in some other lights, etc. I'm a light *****. I can't lie.
I'll be putting on an LED light bar as well. You can never have too much light.

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did 35's, and the 3.21's still work perfectly.

Does it have cloth, or leather?

The seats are leather, with a cloth type inner material (I'm assuming for the cooling function).

I keep hearing people say you gotta get the whole front end replaced with a 2010 or older and then put 4.10 gears in it to turn 35's and it honestly almost made me not buy the truck. But I loved the thing so much I couldn't turn it down.:crazy:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Thanks! Love the truck. Don't wanna even drive it. Just wanna look at it.
LOL.

Why do you say MBRP?

On those running boards, do they mount differently than the stockers? My 2011 boards seemed super flimsy and I hated that feeling like they were going to break or tear through.

Tires; don't know. I'd like to put somewhat of a lift on it. Maybe 4 to 6".
I don't want a MONSTER truck, so I'm thinking 33 or 35. Recommendations?

The interior lights I think will be some LED's I'll mount under the seats and dash above the foot wells.
Something like this: LEDGlow 6pc. Flexible LED Million Color Interior Lights

I may put in some other lights, etc. I'm a light *****. I can't lie.
I'll be putting on an LED light bar as well. You can never have too much light.

Exhaust is very subjective. I've had Flowmaster, MagnaFlow, and MBRP. To me the MBRP had the best sound. It is definitely louder than stock at idle, rumbles nicely when driving, and when you get on it it's loud! It's got a very aggressive tone.

I'm not sure how the AMP steps mount, I've never had them lol. A lot of guys recommend them though. I will be putting them on my truck. I would have had them on my 2014, but with the body lift they wouldn't fit. They are rated for 600 lbs per side.

If you go that high you'll want 35's. You should be okay with that size tire and your gears. You might want a tuner to bring the power loss back though. Plus it'll allow you to recalibrate your speedo. Here's a pic of my 2014 with a 5" lift and 35's for comparison. Yours will either be 1" higher or lower than mine was.

c4031d636893d32ecc55734bf099e868.jpg

048265c3e0c9222eba002d2e3d519a2e.jpg

I'd recommend Zone lifts. They're a very high quality lift kit at a good price.

I'm doing red LED'S in my footwells, it looks awesome!

I love the light bar look too! I had one on my last truck, and I've got one on order for me new one. I'm planning to put it in the bumper. They look awesome!

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exhaust is very subjective. I've had Flowmaster, MagnaFlow, and MBRP. To me the MBRP had the best sound. It is definitely louder than stock at idle, rumbles nicely when driving, and when you get on it it's loud! It's got a very aggressive tone.

I'm not sure how the AMP steps mount, I've never had them lol. A lot of guys recommend them though. I will be putting them on my truck. I would have had them on my 2014, but with the body lift they wouldn't fit. They are rated for 600 lbs per side.

If you go that high you'll want 35's. You should be okay with that size tire and your gears. You might want a tuner to bring the power loss back though. Plus it'll allow you to recalibrate your speedo. Here's a pic of my 2014 with a 5" lift and 35's for comparison. Yours will either be 1" higher or lower than mine was.

c4031d636893d32ecc55734bf099e868.jpg

048265c3e0c9222eba002d2e3d519a2e.jpg

I'd recommend Zone lifts. They're a very high quality lift kit at a good price.

I'm doing red LED'S in my footwells, it looks awesome!

I love the light bar look too! I had one on my last truck, and I've got one on order for me new one. I'm planning to put it in the bumper. They look awesome!

I missed your reply and just wanted to say Thanks for the detailed response.
You helped a TON. Thank you!!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I missed your reply and just wanted to say Thanks for the detailed response.
You helped a TON. Thank you!!
Glad to help out man!