New Ram - Smoke at Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
my truck today after i turned it off it looked like there was a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust tips, it didnt smell like burnt oil or anything, smelt like normal exhaust. it has 13k miles at the moment. i have read catch cans are a good idea with this engines.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
It hasn't been serviced yet since it's less than a month old and has less than 1,000 miles on it. I'm planning on changing the oil myself to Pennzoil Platinum with a Fram Ultra filter in the next couple of weeks though. I'll be sure to put exactly 7 quarts in when I do. Thanks for the information.

I would not put synthetic in until you are sure rings have seated.
Some say it makes no difference but I'm old school, works for me!

Makin-Chips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Lonestar Hemi 5.7 CC 4X4
Right or wrong, I've never just put the recommended amount of oil in any of my vehicles. I've always used the dipstick as the rule. With my ram, i put 6 quarts in, then start and let idle for about 5 minutes to confirm pressure is stable. Then I shut it down and let sit for about 15 minutes. Then I top off till the level is between the min and max lines. It's never taken the full 7 quarts. So far I've changed it twice, once at 3000 and second at 7000. Also, I don't pre-fill the filter. I haven't had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine was doing this for awhile, at around 7500 miles on it. I'm at 8200 miles now and it has stopped smoking. I did have the dealership take a look, and they said that's normal since it's still so new. Unburnt fuel getting past rings that aren't set yet or something like that. They had my truck for 2 days just to tell me nothing is wrong, lol. At least they gave me a free loaner.

I was told as long as it doesn't smoke past 20 seconds or under acceleration, not to worry.

Last edited: