New rear coil sping 2500 rides like crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Spoon059- Just let me say I have had more 3/4 and 1 tons trucks in my life than probably any one on this site. So for me personally and everyone that has rode in my new truck will say without a doubt it rides worse than any previous trucks UNLOADED. Also I am not a ford, dodge, gm man I am whatever truck is the best for me at the time of purchase. Dodge had more positives than any others in my opinion but I was only saying the the rear coils unloaded have a lot more improving in my opinion- they will beat you to death on the highway.

You still avoided his question. What changed between the test drive and now? Why was this "beat you to death on the highway" not noticeable on the test drive?

Not every brand is going to tickle ones pickle but if you failed to properly exercise the vehicle on the test drive and find all this perceived suspension harshness after the fact, that was a failure on your part.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What the hell do you guys ride on? Im in the suburbs.......mostly asphalt/pavement plus snow of course. I could hold a full cup of coffee and not spill it on the roads im on if i dont hit a pothole. i couldnt imagine a smooth dirt road being much worse. Im very happy in my 3500. I test drove the 2500 and thought it was a great ride . I have always had trucks too. When I had my 1500, i thought i was in a cadillac. I notice the potholes in my 3500, but isnt that what your local highway dept. is for :)

I have had 4 f250 4x4 and a few chevy 2500 4x4 and even a couple older dodges that had leaf springs and compared to the new style of the coil springs in the rear these trucks ride worse unloaded than any 3/4 and 1 ton I have ever drove. Loaded they do great but I just don't see why they went with the coil springs in the rear that's what they were doing in the 50s-70's the leaf spring in my opinion was a far better design and lot less parts to go bad compared to the coil spring set up I have now.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
What the hell do you guys ride on? Im in the suburbs.......mostly asphalt/pavement plus snow of course. I could hold a full cup of coffee and not spill it on the roads im on if i dont hit a pothole. i couldnt imagine a smooth dirt road being much worse. Im very happy in my 3500. I test drove the 2500 and thought it was a great ride . I have always had trucks too. When I had my 1500, i thought i was in a cadillac. I notice the potholes in my 3500, but isnt that what your local highway dept. is for :)

CC in my truck on back roads I have to hold my coffee. If I place it in the jumpseat cupholders it will spill when hitting even the slightest bumps, unless I'm on really smooth highway. (No the seat is not loose.) But hey its a 3500 DRW rated to carry over 3 tons in the bed so it is what it is, I have learned not to fill coffee cups more the 3/4 full!

Last edited:

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CC in my truck on back roads I have to hold my coffee. If I place it in the jumpseat cupholders it will spill when hitting even the slightest bumps, unless I'm on really smooth highway. (No the seat is not loose.) But hey its a 3500 DRW rated to carry over 3 tons in the bed so it is what it is, I have learned not to fill coffee cups more the 3/4 full!

Shoot don't feel bad man. I have to do the same thing in my little old 1500 RCSB. My cup holders are almost useless. Unless I'm on the highways.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Spoon059- Just let me say I have had more 3/4 and 1 tons trucks in my life than probably any one on this site. So for me personally and everyone that has rode in my new truck will say without a doubt it rides worse than any previous trucks UNLOADED. Also I am not a ford, dodge, gm man I am whatever truck is the best for me at the time of purchase. Dodge had more positives than any others in my opinion but I was only saying the the rear coils unloaded have a lot more improving in my opinion- they will beat you to death on the highway.

Agreed. I have owned many 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and also driven them while working for construction companies. My 2500 rides worse than any pickup I have ever driven. The thing is I knew that before I bought it and went with it anyway with no regrets. I use it to tow a 33' travel trailer with my 1000# ATV in the bed and then it rides like a Cadillac.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have also owned a whole lot of trucks over a lot of years. My '05 3500 Dodge w/leaf springs rode a crap-ton better than my '04 Chevy 2500, and this 2500 rides about the same as my '05. I expected the coils to ride a little better, but I am not the least disappointed. I gave up on Fords a looong time ago after a string of lemons, so my memory is suspect at best on that, but they sure didn't ride like a Sedan DeVille either.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi

you are loosing out so much money ie: fill cup and drink the first 1/4 before climbing in:):naughty:

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
The cheapest way to fix the ride in your truck is to catch a ride in a 50s model grain truck. I have a 51 ford f6. One ride in that and you will never complain about your hd again

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
the benefits of the 4 link coil spring is a smoother and more progressive ride. The 4 link also all but eliminates any axle wrap that the leaf springs allow. Doing this eliminates wheel hop as well as added stress to the drive shaft's U joints. I can feel a huge difference in how the power is planted to the ground when going from my 2500 to my fathers 3500 dually... The leaf springs have to twist and sort of pre load before the wheels really begin to move.

the coil sprung rear end is the sole reason why i went with a 2500 vs a 3500. I'd like the extra pay load but i spend more time empty than i do loaded...

While this is a good theory it actually goes the opposite way for whatever reason. There are a lot of people on the power wagon forum complaining about wheel hop in snow with their trucks that they never had with the leaf spring power wagons or any other truck. I actually just had it happen to me Friday trying to go up a snowy hill, in 4wd the back end started hopping up and down so much I had to actually stop and back up and get a running start.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The cheapest way to fix the ride in your truck is to catch a ride in a 50s model grain truck. I have a 51 ford f6. One ride in that and you will never complain about your hd again

I had forgotten about my 51 ford f6! Had a 14' box and when loaded 7 high with hay I had to be careful or it would pop wheelies on dirt roads. Worst riding machine I was ever on.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Almost as if something funky is going on with your truck? I have not drove a bunch of 3/4-1 ton trucks (probably 8-10) but I feel like the 2500 rides VERY well. I drove a few 1/2 tons when I was test driving & I thought there was very little difference between the two.
It stinks that some of these stealerships will not adjust the computer to allow for lower tire pressure. I am hoping mine will do my truck when it gets here.

Ok now that I finally have my truck I feel mine is not riding as well as those when I did my test driving. I probably drove 3 or 4 different 2500 & 1 or 2 1500's. Drove a 1500 & 2500 back to back & recall the 1500 only riding a little smoother than the 2500. The 2500's I drove were a mix of 15' & 16's so I don't think they have done anything different as far as spring tension for the 16's. Maybe they are buying from a different vendor than they were before? It is still not horrible by any means but does seem to be a little stiffer than the ones I test drove. I am hoping my dealer can figure out how to reset the tire pressure.

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
I had forgotten about my 51 ford f6! Had a 14' box and when loaded 7 high with hay I had to be careful or it would pop wheelies on dirt roads. Worst riding machine I was ever on.

Man that thing beats the hell outta me but I love driving it!

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
Could the wheel size make a difference? I could see 20" riding worse than 17" or 18". I am of course assuming that the tire OD is the same on the different sized rims.

InvictusII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I definitely noticed a difference when test driving 2500s with the 18s vs. the one I got with the 20s. I have thought about going down to 18s to improve the ride.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
FWIW, I just made a road trip over two days (6 hours, then 10) from central IL to central GA. I found the truck rides quite smoothly on good interstate, nearly as nice as my wife's Routan SEL (rebadged Town&Country). Hit a bad or bumpy section, though, and you *know* it! The truck is a Tradesman (I rebadged to create my own interpretation of a SC LB Power Wagon) and came with 18x8 wheels that I replaced with 20x9s. They seem to ride a little smoother than the 18s.

es

2016_powerwagon2.jpg

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Could the wheel size make a difference? I could see 20" riding worse than 17" or 18". I am of course assuming that the tire OD is the same on the different sized rims.

Everything I test drove (at least on 2500) were 18" rims so I can rule that out.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know guys. My dad just bought a 2015 2500 crew cab Cummins with 18" wheels. And I have to say the rear coils. Have really shocked me at how good they ride. Compared to every other 2500 or 250 series truck I have ever ridden in lately.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don't know guys. My dad just bought a 2015 2500 crew cab Cummins with 18" wheels. And I have to say the rear coils. Have really shocked me at how good they ride. Compared to every other 2500 or 250 series truck I have ever ridden in lately.

Definitely better than any HD I have ever driven too but the ones I test drove were smoother than the one I bought. I am thinking maybe the stealerships lowered the air pressure to give them a better ride as everyone on here is doing. Sounds like the way to go unless you have to tow/haul at max weights.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely better than any HD I have ever driven too but the ones I test drove were smoother than the one I bought. I am thinking maybe the stealerships lowered the air pressure to give them a better ride as everyone on here is doing. Sounds like the way to go unless you have to tow/haul at max weights.

I'll give you that now. When he bought it. The fronts was at 65-70 and the rears was right at 80psi. I immediately lowered all 4 corners to 50psi. And it rides almost as good as his 14' Chevy 1500 High Country he traded in on it. And when the time comes he needs to tow or haul heavy. We will just sit back up to a sufficient air pressure for the load.