New to the Forum and soon to Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swezey23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello! I'm new to the forum. I've been browsing it this past week as I'm looking to get into a RAM 1500 this October.

Still deciding if I should go new with 2013 8 speed Hemi or go slightly used (10-12) 6 speed Hemi. Maybe yall could chip in some advice?

I've been a lurker in other car forums for sometime but since I'll be selling my 95 Z28 soon I thought I would make an early transition over here. It's going to be hard to not get newer camaro, but I've always loved Dodge. Plus I'll be getting much more use out of a truck than a car at this point in my life.

I can already tell there's a lot of information here, people like to help out, and a good sense of "community".

Little About Me:
Just graduated college this past May with my Bachelors in Computer Science and landed my first job being an Application Developer with CGI in Belton, TX and I live over in Killeen. New to the area and I'm enjoying it so far.

I'll lurking more until I get my truck and I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as I do!

Already have mod ideas going in my head for my preexisting RAM :dogpile:

Thanks!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF. Personally as much as there is some real nice newer features on the 2013's i would either wait for a 2014 or get a used 2010 thru 2012. I say that because with 2013 being a little bit more than just a mid gen refresh there have been some glitches. Assuming some of them will be worked out with the 2014 model.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Welcome to the forum!

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome! I say either the 10-12 or 14 version personally

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome aboard!
Hehe he said nuts in the rear

If you prefer the looks, the '13s DO have some nice features such as auto locking tailgate (locks & unlocks along with doors when using the keyfob), power folding mirrors (pre-'13 were "power" meaning they had defrost and "folding" meaning you could manually fold them) along with a user-customizable EVIC screen in the dash (great for towing).
That said, the 12's can still be found new on a lot and dealers would be near giving them away.

OP
OP
Swezey23

Swezey23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice guys! Appreciate it!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Okay, first off :wave: Welcome!

Use the search function and don't bombard the forum with questions already asked and answered.
For example: a query about CAI will tell you EVERYTHING already discussed. Same for Catch Can. I'm guessing exhaust is close too.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like to help, but don't like to be used, or see RF used, to make up for lazy.

If you ask well researched questions, I don't know about any other place where there are 10K forum members quicker to answer up.

So, happy mod'n! How can we help? :artist1:

OP
OP
Swezey23

Swezey23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, first off :wave: Welcome!

Use the search function and don't bombard the forum with questions already asked and answered.
For example: a query about CAI will tell you EVERYTHING already discussed. Same for Catch Can. I'm guessing exhaust is close too.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like to help, but don't like to be used, or see RF used, to make up for lazy.

If you ask well researched questions, I don't know about any other place where there are 10K forum members quicker to answer up.

So, happy mod'n! How can we help? :artist1:

Haha thanks for the words of advice :)
Don't worry though, it's not my first rodeo.
I prefer finding the answer myself or figuring it out myself.
I hate, well i wouldn't call it hate (but you know what i'm talking about), asking for help especially if it's something non-complex.

As for a catch can, already have a self-made one on my camaro! Probably will just buy the kit from a vendor on here once I actually get my RAM.

S&B will be my CAI of choice. I have a K&N on the Z28. I want the option to go off roading without worrying about it.

I'm feeling the mangaflow catback and I'm already drooling over the ARH longtube headers. *drools*

I've self-tuned my Z28 (pre OBDII) just a bit: advanced the timing a little, leaned it out (runs naturally rich from factory), turned the radiator fans on sooner to help keep it running cooler (with a 160 T stat), and played with the throttle percentage downshift points.

Of course going from a SBC to a Hemi is a going to be a change. My biggest question, and much needed research when I get to that point, is what tuner I'll need to buy for it for the best results/features. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I do love the atmosphere here though! Seems like everyone is highly encouraging of one another, no matter how small or big their mod to their truck was. Can't wait to get my RAM and actually start contributing to this community :D

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Haha thanks for the words of advice :)
Don't worry though, it's not my first rodeo.
I prefer finding the answer myself or figuring it out myself.
I hate, well i wouldn't call it hate (but you know what i'm talking about), asking for help especially if it's something non-complex.

As for a catch can, already have a self-made one on my camaro! Probably will just buy the kit from a vendor on here once I actually get my RAM.

S&B will be my CAI of choice. I have a K&N on the Z28. I want the option to go off roading without worrying about it.

I'm feeling the mangaflow catback and I'm already drooling over the ARH longtube headers. *drools*

I've self-tuned my Z28 (pre OBDII) just a bit: advanced the timing a little, leaned it out (runs naturally rich from factory), turned the radiator fans on sooner to help keep it running cooler (with a 160 T stat), and played with the throttle percentage downshift points.

Of course going from a SBC to a Hemi is a going to be a change. My biggest question, and much needed research when I get to that point, is what tuner I'll need to buy for it for the best results/features. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I do love the atmosphere here though! Seems like everyone is highly encouraging of one another, no matter how small or big their mod to their truck was. Can't wait to get my RAM and actually start contributing to this community :D
As you have accurately described, there is a great group of folks here. Sounds like you already have apretty good idea of what you want to do to your Ram.

Like I said above, the only time I've seen folks get snippy is when the same person repeatedly asks already hashed and rehashed questions without any appearance of even trying to find the answer before logging on and pleading for help. No suggestion on my part that applies to you.

Funniest thing, these needy souls never ask how the search function works....:wtf:

Last edited:

fdnj48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year