New truck, new member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ldnerb07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it’s not new, but new to me. Always been a diehard Toyota guy, but figured I’d give the Ram a shot. This will be my third Dodge (or Ram). Been in Tundras for the past few years but frankly when it was time for another truck, they simply priced themselves right out of my business.

2014 5.7 4x4 Outdoorsman with 55k miles. Looks like a slight lift, possibly just a level kit, on 35’s.

Bought it as you see it, it’s not perfect but the price was right in line with what I needed. Law enforcement budget says I can’t afford $50k trucks.

I am, however, beginning to notice some things popping up in the month I’ve had it. Mostly small, cosmetic stuff I didn’t catch while looking at it. But one fairly large (sounding) mechanical issue.

When driving, 0-~40, there’s a pretty awful...grinding noise coming from the front end. Grinding is the only way I can describe it other than a rattley clunk. My dad and I threw it on the lift and everything looks normal. No loose wheels so that tells me my bearings, ball joints, and tie rods are good, as well as no play in the tie rods. CV axles are tight and feel solid. One thing we did notice is the driver side front wheel...while in 2wd, it will grab very slightly and turn the front 4x4 shaft approximately 1/4 turn, then let it go. It does this ~one revolution. As in at 12:00, the wheel will turn one revolution and around 12:00 it will grab very shortly, then let go.

I don’t see any extreme angles that the CV’s are sitting at (due to the lift) so I don’t think any angles have anything to do with it. My only other guess is there may be the slightest bend in the CV axle itself? Or possibly just some grit and grime in it causing it to catch? I don’t know much about it, this is actually my first 4x4.

Anyway..small introduction of myself followed immediately by a call for help as I’m left scratching my head..

726C39E9-6890-4FBB-8306-7A464C87117E.jpeg

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the "Poor man Club"
You will see lots here and wish you hadn't, as it will cost lol
welcome to the group and have fun.
I have learned a lot from this group, hope you do as well.

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 pullin the War Wagon
I have had to get TWO additional paper routes to help support my jones...

Nice ride by the way.. Congrats

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Congrats on the new ride. Any chance you could have a stuck brake caliper ?

OP
OP
L

ldnerb07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys..only picture I have right now..I know it’s all artsy fartsy

Not that I could tell with it on the lift. I’ve had that issue with past trucks and every one I’ve had it seemed to pull to whichever side was stuck. That hasn’t been happening so just figured that must not be it.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome and congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Welcome aboard!

I thought it was only on 2013s, but it won't hurt for you to take a look. On some Rams, shortly after the refresh in model year 2013, a metal clip on the exhaust would rattle at certain speeds, usually peaking in noise around 30-40. After 40-45, it would disappear. I believe it was only on Rams with the 8-speed transmission.

On top of the exhaust pipe, right after the manifold pipes Y into the single pipe if I remember correctly, is a metal tab/clip. May be hard to see, but should be easy to feel. The clip doesn't do anything, it was supposedly there just to help line up the exhaust pipes or something during install. One end will be free, and you can you can bend and break it off. I had to use a pair of pliers. Try and break it off as close to its base as possible.

Back when I had my 2013, after breaking that little sucker off, I had no metal grinding/rattle noise anywhere from 0-40.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Welcome nice looking truck

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome!! Let us know if you have any questions. I just traded my 14 3/4ton for a 18 1/2 ton and I had to look on here to remember how to shut the seat belt chime off lol.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

OP
OP
L

ldnerb07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the warm welcome guys :favorites13:

Update: Took it off my dads lift last night with a brand new driver side CV axle. The noise from 0-40ish is gone, and I found there was a pretty decent bit of play in the old CV.

However..if I’m making a slow, tight right-hand turn, I can still hear it. Sounds to be a grinding/clanking sound but it’s not constant. What I mean is it sounds like it’s making the noise at a certain point in the revolution.

Instead of ccrrruuuuunnnncccchhhh it’s more like clak-clak-clak-clak-clak...bear with me, I’m weird :whymewhyme:

I’m beginning to wonder if there’s something in the transfer case out of whack? But not sure as it does this in 2wd..

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Update: Took it off my dads lift last night with a brand new driver side CV axle. The noise from 0-40ish is gone, and I found there was a pretty decent bit of play in the old CV.

However..if I’m making a slow, tight right-hand turn, I can still hear it. Sounds to be a grinding/clanking sound but it’s not constant. What I mean is it sounds like it’s making the noise at a certain point in the revolution.

Instead of ccrrruuuuunnnncccchhhh it’s more like clak-clak-clak-clak-clak...bear with me, I’m weird :whymewhyme:

I’m beginning to wonder if there’s something in the transfer case out of whack? But not sure as it does this in 2wd..
My advice is youre too old to drive...116? Sheesh! Haha sorry I dont have any answers, welcome though and post more pics!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

Welcome. Can you put the T-case in neutral then make your slow right hand turn? That could isolate the noise.

OP
OP
L

ldnerb07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome. Can you put the T-case in neutral then make your slow right hand turn? That could isolate the noise.
Well I’m still not 100% sure on the workings of this particular 4x4 system. BUT...this noise is made in 2wd. I’ve not really listened to it in 4wd hi or low.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum, congrats on your ride

nursenick06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a ‘13 1500 Express and have had what sounds to be the same noise coming from my passenger side. I only noticed it at speeds under 40, but especially when slowing to a stop or driving slow through a parking lot or something. It’s gotten progressively louder. When I was trying to figure out where it was coming from, I did notice it would quit making noise when I flipped it to 4H, but now it’s there all the time either way. I think I finally found the problem.f5656ec398541034f9eecaf4191d1824.jpg
Here is the driver side as a comparison.
9fdcb94bcaf4aa1ddd834d5f96366907.jpg

The truck came with spacers when I bought it, but I switched to Bilsteins last fall, set at 2.8, which gives me about the same ride height as the spacers gave. It doesn’t look like there is much of an angle.
cfecad30c916177bb23401f0c964fa5a.jpg

Hopefully that’s not your problem, but what you described sounded very similar. I’m trying to figure out now what has to be done to fix it. Not sure if it’s as “simple” as putting in a new stub shaft, or if a couple of places I’ve read are correct or not about having to install an entirely new front diff (something about RAM conveniently making only the driver side replaceable from ‘12 on).

OP
OP
L

ldnerb07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a ‘13 1500 Express and have had what sounds to be the same noise coming from my passenger side. I only noticed it at speeds under 40, but especially when slowing to a stop or driving slow through a parking lot or something. It’s gotten progressively louder. When I was trying to figure out where it was coming from, I did notice it would quit making noise when I flipped it to 4H, but now it’s there all the time either way. I think I finally found the problem.f5656ec398541034f9eecaf4191d1824.jpg
Here is the driver side as a comparison.
9fdcb94bcaf4aa1ddd834d5f96366907.jpg

The truck came with spacers when I bought it, but I switched to Bilsteins last fall, set at 2.8, which gives me about the same ride height as the spacers gave. It doesn’t look like there is much of an angle.
cfecad30c916177bb23401f0c964fa5a.jpg

Hopefully that’s not your problem, but what you described sounded very similar. I’m trying to figure out now what has to be done to fix it. Not sure if it’s as “simple” as putting in a new stub shaft, or if a couple of places I’ve read are correct or not about having to install an entirely new front diff (something about RAM conveniently making only the driver side replaceable from ‘12 on).

Oh wow yeah sounds like possibly the same issue. I’ve recently replaced the driver side CV and the noise went away but there was still a little. I’ll have to check out the passenger side and see what it looks like

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
welcome to the group, and good luck getting that sorted - hopefully not an expensive fix.