Newb Questions- prepping for purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whosjonny

Reaction score
Ram Year
na
Engine
na
Hi all, I'm thinking about buying this truck:

San Antonio, TX 2015 RAM 1500 SLT New Truck Austin, TX New Braunfels, TX Ancira Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram | R677368 | 1C6RR6LM5FS677368

link to window sticker:
http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR6LM5FS677368

My goal is to have a long term vehicle (~15 years) that is capable of towing a 10k pound trailer when I move. For the most part though, it will be used for commuting about 7k miles per year. Questions:

Any reliability concerns for the Ecodiesel engine or the 8 speed electronic trans?

Are there any blaring omissions from the window sticker with what I'd like to accomplish with this truck?

What are people's general thoughts about the "shelf" that pulls out from under the rear seats? It looks really cheesy and frail to me, but maybe someone has a cool story where it was useful.

Any further insight is appreciated. Right now incentives are great and I'm trying to swing at least 13k off MSRP plus adds. Thanks!

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have no complaints about my eco diesel. towed 8000lbs with no problems. i wouldnt want to tow 8000 on a regular bases but with the brake controler, the distibution hitch and anti-sway bar i had no problems. The manual states i can tow 9200, the online calulator from dodge says 8800. Only reason I wouldnt want to tow near the max a lot is the price of fuel. Empty i regularily see 8-9L/100k. towed my TT for 2hrs through back road hills and it got 15.8l/100k average.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't say the name but there is a specific Eco diesel forum which you may get better answers. Google Eco diesel forum.
Seems like a good price on it for the diesel.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only recommendation is to check www.cars.com once you have settled on a model. That search engine allows you to search nationally. There are huge difference s in price - to the tune of thousands of dollars. I was actually considering flying in to Houston for a truck - it was worth it to spend $100 onaplane ticket to save $3000. Ended up buying from a dealer about 6 hours away.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't say anything about the Diesel (I have the Hemi), but regarding the fold flat floor, I use it all the time. Anytime the dogs ride along, they stand on that. My dogs are about 75 lbs each. It's great for hauling groceries, too. :D Or, supplies from the hardware store, or Lowe's, or Home Depot. Now, there was a thread on here about it not holding up 2 young whipper snappers fooling around on it, but, it holds a good amount of weight, I think.

That truck is priced roughly where mine was when I bought it. I ended up getting it for $35k out the door. You might try and haggle with them some more.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have to agree with the others. dealers near me are volume dealers meaning they will make little to no money off the sale (since they still get a kickback). new rams near me are 10-12k off year round

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The sticker shows the regular gas tank, not the 32 gal. which would be important to me if I was traveling.
Jay