Newbie Intro & 1st Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

earl.allen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Good afternoon. Sorry for such a long post, but I want to introduce myself and ask my first Ram Forum question. I retired after 28 years in the USCG, 14 as enlisted (Machinery Technician) and 14 years as an officer (Naval Engineer). I live in Houma, LA and currently work as a Gov't contract employee watching the USCG's newest fleet of ships being built. I am a huge (old) Mercedes enthusiast having owned and worked on about a dozen 60s thru 90s gas & diesel models. Currently I have a 1975 450SL, 1984 300D (turbo-diesel sedan) and my wife's daily driver, a 1993 300CE (gas, coupe). I have two car rules I like to follow - never have a car payment and never pay a mechanic for something I can do myself.

I've never owned a truck before, although throughout my construction-worker days and then my USCG years, I have driven and towed with dozens of truck. This past November, I decided to take the plunge and after a few months of searching, found the perfect truck for me - it is a plain white 2008 Ram 1500 SLT, 4.7L, single cab. It was a one owner truck that was a graduation gift for the PO, who drove it thru four year of college and then to his job as a Nurse at the Regional Med Center. It was never wrecked and aside from the filthy driver's seat and dirty engine compartment was in good shape. The price was right at $6,500 and the mileage was in my target area at 107K. It is totally stock and I have no desire to change that. So far I have cleaned up the engine-bay, bought a professional interior/exterior detail, given it an oil change w/Mobil1 5W30 and just this weekend serviced the transmission (both filters and 8.5 qts of Castrol ATF+4). I also installed a pair of step bars, mostly for my better-half, who is 4' 11".

Now for my 1st question - Saturday, I went to the Dodge dealer for tranny filters and found the parts dept. closed. But I ended up in a conversation with two gentlemen from either sales or service and they strongly recommended against servicing the transmission due to such high mileage. I informed them that the Dodge manual calls for a 120K mile service interval, the truck has 111K now and it's not yet been done, so why would I ignore Dodge's own recommended service interval? I asked if they were believers in the "lifetime-fluid" myth and they said "no, it's not that. But with such high mileage, if it's shifting okay now, you shouldn't touch it; it is likely to develop problems if you service it."

Well Sunday, I changed out the fluid and filters and VERY carefully refilled it, drove it, re-checked and refilled. It feels the same now as it did prior to the change, which is what I expected. Those guys really had me on the fence about doing the tranny service, but I've serviced transmissions dozens of times, some of them in the 250K to 350K mile range and never had any issues. Of course some of them were old Benz trannys. I hope this isn't a testament to the reliability of Dodge transmissions. What is the prevailing thought in the Ram Forum world?

Earl F. Allen, (USCG Ret)

2017_11_16_eng (10).JPG

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I'll let those with experience chime in, but I want to follow this thread to hear from everyone again.

For what it's worth, based on the testimonies I was given, I plan in doing a full trans service myself, using Redline c+ atf and a mopar filter.

God bless, and thank you for your service in uniform.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELCOME brotha! I see very frequently here on the forum people agreeing with what you were told, to not touch it after x amount of time or miles but i do not agree and would say you made the right choice! If a problem was brought to the surface from servicing then it is something that needed to be addressed and ultimitely will last longer after being serviced and problems corrected vs counting on the sludge buildup holding it together lol. Again many here will disagree but whatever, neglecting a service is wrong to me regardless.

Now if it was a trans with like 300k on it lol that i might say roll it till it breaks but at 111k miles no way, service it. thats my opinion.

Anyway, congrats on the truck, BEAUTFUL COLOR!!! :pepper: and welcome to the fam

Michael Deery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L
I own a 2003 jeep wrangler with a manual tranny, in addition to my RAM. I do most of the work myself. I have a friend who owns a very busy auto repair shop. I often run auto maintenance and repair questions past him. Similarly, when I acquired the jeep with over 100,000 miles on it, I was prepared to do a fluid change. Curiously, he gave me the same advice... do not change the fluid or I might see some issues develop. The tranny shifts fine, but I am "spooked" about doing the fluid change. I have done tranny fluid changes on other vehicles (both manual and auto), but am now apprehensive about doing it again on a high mileage ride.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Fluid changes are fine. It's when a power flush is done that it can cause issues. The flush can cause build up to dislodge and flow through the transmission, causing the reported problems. Having said that, I had the first transmission service done on my truck, that I know of, at 85k miles and had them reverse flush it. Truck has over 200k miles now and the transmission has been serviced several times for the standard filter and fluid changes but that's it. Still shifts great and has no problems. I have put Sea Foam Trans Tune into it a few times and it seems to help keep sludge from building up.

OP
OP
E

earl.allen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Hello again and thanks for the replies! I'm glad to report that I have driven my Ram to work and back five times and 8 or 10 other assorted trips up and down the Bayou with none of those dreaded "post-service failure" issues as predicted by the fools at the local Dodge Dealership!

As a matter of fact, this weekend I flushed the cooling system and renewed the coolant with Zerex G-05. So far I have changed the engine oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid and engine coolant. I think that leaves just the gear oil in the rear end of this 2-wheel model.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Beautiful looking truck I have a single cab myself and I’ve don’t my fluid change with more miles than what you had and everything was fine.if the tranny was bad then changing it or not it’s going to go bad but good call on changing it with that fresh fluid in there I’m sure you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome ya dirty turncoat, I've heard your name in passing (MKC at PBPL). Servicing the RFE (even with high mileage) is fine, as long as it is pan fluid and filters change. What is recommended against with these high mileage trannies is doing a flush because you can dislodge things.

OP
OP
E

earl.allen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Welcome ya dirty turncoat, I've heard your name in passing (MKC at PBPL). Servicing the RFE (even with high mileage) is fine, as long as it is pan fluid and filters change. What is recommended against with these high mileage trannies is doing a flush because you can dislodge things.

It's been a few weeks and the tranny still fine. TurnCoat? Lol, had kids that wanted to go to college! With the CWO-LT raise, I simply paid cash for it... until I discovered Post 911

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't know where that urban legend of not changing transmission fluid after a certain amount of miles originated but it's a total myth.

Rather, the higher the mileage, the weaker the fluid regardless of what box we are discussing. Old fluid doesn't get better with time and mileage, it gets worse.

The general best practice is to follow the mfgr's recommendations.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't know where that urban legend of not changing transmission fluid after a certain amount of miles originated but it's a total myth.

Rather, the higher the mileage, the weaker the fluid regardless of what box we are discussing. Old fluid doesn't get better with time and mileage, it gets worse.

The general best practice is to follow the mfgr's recommendations.

It's more about doing a flush at higher mileage. Drain and fill with both filters getting changed shouldn't hurt but some people have found that having a power flush done can potentially cause any build up to dislodge and cause problems down the road. I disagree with that since a flush is designed to remove buildup like that and it should get flushed out of the system safely. I had a flush done at about 100,000 miles, not knowing what the history was or if the trans had ever been serviced prior. Other people have posted about doing a flush at higher mileage and still not having issues.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
It's more about doing a flush at higher mileage. Drain and fill with both filters getting changed shouldn't hurt but some people have found that having a power flush done can potentially cause any build up to dislodge and cause problems down the road. I disagree with that since a flush is designed to remove buildup like that and it should get flushed out of the system safely. I had a flush done at about 100,000 miles, not knowing what the history was or if the trans had ever been serviced prior. Other people have posted about doing a flush at higher mileage and still not having issues.
But didn't you say you had a low pressure flush or s reverse flush done or something?

Also, if you take it to a place to get flushed, will they put in shat you bring them(ex. Redline c+ ATF), and if so, how much do you need?

More than the factory amount since some gets ejected during the flush, or exactly the factory amount because they're usually that precise?

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
But didn't you say you had a low pressure flush or s reverse flush done or something?

Also, if you take it to a place to get flushed, will they put in shat you bring them(ex. Redline c+ ATF), and if so, how much do you need?

More than the factory amount since some gets ejected during the flush, or exactly the factory amount because they're usually that precise?

You would have to ask the shop doing the work. I have a shop that I have taken my truck to for the trans service. They flushed it the one time using their machine. It takes a lot of fluid to do it so more than likely, they wouldn't let you use your own. After that, it's just fluid and filter changes every 20k to 30k.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Dodge dealer wanted 40 for one filter and 25 for the other.

And 60+ for a pcv valve......