No bass below < 40 degrees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W_Lyles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hola friends,

Couple years ago I installed (4) 6x9 Blaupunkt QL690s in the doors and (2) Infinity REF-3002cfx 3-1/2 in the dash. It seems the past few winters or anytime its 40 or below the speakers sound flat with no bass. It's not until the internal temp of the truck gets warm that they start hitting again. Anyone else have this problem? Or know of how to fix the issue?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I have not heard too much of this, but I also do not lean on my system(s) until the truck is warmed up a bit. We have brutal cold winters where im at too. I don't think the electrical aspect of the system is causing it (I could be wrong) but there's a mechanical aspect to all speakers that could be playing a part. Everything mechanical (that I can think of) part likes to acquire a bit of warmth before it should be leaned on...

OP
OP
W_Lyles

W_Lyles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not heard too much of this, but I also do not lean on my system(s) until the truck is warmed up a bit. We have brutal cold winters where im at too. I don't think the electrical aspect of the system is causing it (I could be wrong) but there's a mechanical aspect to all speakers that could be playing a part. Everything mechanical (that I can think of) part likes to acquire a bit of warmth before it should be leaned on...

Yeah I try not to have the volume up loud right off the bat when its cold but to have zero bass until the cab is warm has me wondering. Im with you though, I think it's something going on with the mechanical aspect of the speaker.

OP
OP
W_Lyles

W_Lyles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks @TomT. I figured that it had to be something with the speaker but I'm not savvy enough to figure that out on my own haha. I am assuming that polypropylene woofers are superior to paper, but do you know if there are any high quality paper cones on the market?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d imagine there are plenty of them. It might take some searching. I’ve never noticed speaker manufacturers giving an operating temperature range spec though.

I know there are speakers with aluminum and Kevlar cones and things like that. However, most of those will require an amp to properly push them.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
My subs do the same thing. Pretty sure it's not the speakers though. This is the second set I've had in there and both sets did it. I'm running the 8.4 Alpine head unit and the PAC Audio adapter to three amps. It's never made bass when it's cold inside

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My subs do the same thing. Pretty sure it's not the speakers though. This is the second set I've had in there and both sets did it. I'm running the 8.4 Alpine head unit and the PAC Audio adapter to three amps. It's never made bass when it's cold inside

What model subs are they?

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Right now I have Duals. Cheap Walmart crap that sound surprisingly good. I had Kenwoods, but they wouldn't fit my Fox Box. Nothing else was available so I bought the Duals for the time being. I guess I liked them. They've been in there a while now lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
W_Lyles

W_Lyles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My thought is that I didn't have enough power to push the speaker when cold since I just replaced the speakers and everything else is stock. But I really don't want to go back to a paper speaker so I guess I'll continue to live with flat sound for the first 10 min or so till the cab warms up haha.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remote start and let it warm up before you ever get in?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
And I have always heard in harsher climates, and wet climates, paper cones are a no no for doors.