no crank, no start, battery good, fuel prime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

megatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys, need some help, I have a 2006 1500 megacab with Hemi 5.7V with over 200k miles on it.

Good battery, accessories can turn on, no code, but no clicking, no crank, no start, (dead quiet other than fuel prime sound), Fuel prime, no security light, no luck with starting in neutral either. Where should I look next?

When turning key to start, headlight doesn't dim at all, however the aftermarket radio illumination off go off (not sure if it's the radio's feature).

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your battery terminals and wires on the starter the little yellow wire on starter that clips on loves to corrode you could also check your fuses your starter could also just be shot.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
JWS is correct. If that isn't the issue, take a screw driver and jump the solenoid terminals. If it spins over you know you have power to the solenoid and that the starter motor is good. Now just trace backwards to see if the solenoid is pooched or it isn't getting the signal to spin the starter over.

OP
OP
M

megatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All fuses are good. The truck is parked on steep slope on a public street, so I don't think I can access the starter or the solenoid. Is there any value to test the starter relay?

Also, do I need to rule out a bad ignition switch as well?

OP
OP
M

megatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ground from the battery looks corroded a little bit, I will try a jump cable to the chassis.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nHfsC3j_wAAll fuses are good. The truck is parked on steep slope on a public street, so I don't think I can access the starter or the solenoid. Is there any value to test the starter relay?

Also, do I need to rule out a bad ignition switch as well?

OP
OP
M

megatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The check engine stays on now but still no code. I will have it tow to the mechanic. Thank you.

Update: stupid me, it's koeo, so the engine light mean nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

megatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since it's Sunday, I couldn't get in touch with my mechanic so I dug around and I think I found a way to test my starter without going underneath my car -- testing the relay.

1. Test relay only: I gave 12 volt to the relay and hear the relay engages, and see the other two prongs' continuity works as expected.
2. Test relay in place: I didn't hear the engaging click from the relay when the key turns.
3. Test the relay socket signal (without the relay): it receives 12 volts when the key turns.
4. Jump the relay socket to simulate the continuity, the starter engages, I didn't keep it long enough to start the engine, because it's dark and I am starting right between the truck and a wall.

So this seems to indicate the starter, the ignition coil and security system seem to all work. 1 and 2 seem to conflict each other. But I am going to hold off towing to the mechanic and try to replace the relay first.

Thanks to this video, https://youtu.be/IVaohqOeFSY

Also, I wanted to change the ignition switch and relay this afternoon. I only ended up doing the switch, because I can't find any relay from local autozone.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried giving your starter a good hard whack with a long metal rod such as a breaker bar? You can reach it easily through the drivers side wheel well. Actually hit the solenoid. My 2020 starter went out at 38,000 miles which I blame on coming from salty New Jersey. Just don’t contact the battery cable on the solenoid. Got mine started that way, took a week to get a new one from Colorado!

OP
OP
M

megatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The starter is all good. Mechanic believes the security system got tripped and need reset by the dealer.

Ramjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you get the truck starting issue resolved or not? What was the problem that you encountered? My 06 ram quad cab is doing the same thing.