Camera quality worse with UAS upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BucketGruntJL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Recently swapped the factory VP4 Harmon unit for the 8.4 UAS in my 2015 laramie.
Part number is 68331635AH with most updated firemare 40.1

First thing I noticed was the reverse camera quality had slightly degraded, very pixilated and much darker than before.

I cleaned all connections and used dielectric grease at the tailgate to bed connector, and at all connections behind the tailgate handle. No change.

Installed the Jailbreaker Enzo unit to retain my oem heated/cooled seats and steering wheel and the quality seemed to remain the same (very pixilated) but now has horizontal lines that Rolls from top to bottom.

Just now installed a brand new OEM camera that was mentioned in the master uas/uaq thread that supposedly has better quality and somehow it made it worse and now the horizontal lines are much more visible.
Part number 56038978AL

Anybody with experience or an idea on what else to check or what may be happening? With the old OEM VP4 unit the image was very much clear. There wouldn't there be an issue with the radio would there?
Pictures attached show the pixilated display and the other shows the horizontal lines/striations. Looks much worse sitting in the drivers seat than the pictures portray.

Update: if I touch the backup camera soft button them image quality is still noisy, however when I put the truck in reverse (running or not) is when the horizontal lines start rolling.

Attachments

• 20240426_160811.jpg
    20240426_160811.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240426_160740.jpg
    20240426_160740.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like a bad connection, as you are trying to solve. It is possible that wire got funked up. Try reinstalling original radio, if camera quality returns it is possibly your female plug in the radio. If quality is still bad, an issue in the male plug.

OP
OP
BucketGruntJL

BucketGruntJL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like a bad connection, as you are trying to solve. It is possible that wire got funked up. Try reinstalling original radio, if camera quality returns it is possibly your female plug in the radio. If quality is still bad, an issue in the male plug.
Thanks for the input. I wish I still had the original radio to troubleshoot and report. I believe there may be an issue with the radio itself.

Did a little more troubleshooting today:
With jailbreaker enzo unit removed, the screen resolution is what it is but there is no interference/scrolling lines.
Enzo installed the interference only happens in reverse. I can press the reverse cam button and it's still grainy, however when putting in reverse the scrolling lines start back up.
I removed the Amazon special reverse LEDs and the scrolling stopped immediately. I reinstalled the diode dynamics reverse LEDs and the scrolling reappeared however much less.

So with the enzo I gain my seat comfort controls back, but have to sacrifice a brighter reverse lamp.

I saw on a GM Truck thread where an LC Filter was used. I may have to try that.

Last edited: