Noise When Depressing & When Releasing Brake When In Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheKid7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
2018 RAM 1500 3.6LV6 2WD

State: AC fan is off, my radio is off and the vehicle is in Park...

When I depress the brake and when I release the brake I hear a noise in the lower dash. This does not occur when the vehicle is in something other than Park (D, R, etc.).

I searched this forum and saw some references to a noise which is may related to what prevents you from going out of Park when you are not depressing the brake.

Is that what this noise is all about? Is this noise normal? The noise has probably been there the whole time but the noise level is so low that the AC fan on low or higher and/or the radio is on low volume, the noise is not audible.

Yes, I am the one that made a previous post that I had purchased a 'spare' RAM Truck (Also a 2018 RAM 1500 2WD 3.6L V6). I check this 'spare' truck and it is also making the same noise and noise level.

One truck is out of the bumper to bumper Warranty but the other one has about 1.5 months left on the bumper to bumper warranty. I was thinking that if this noise is a problem that I can get it fixed free on one truck while it is still under Warranty.

Thanks in Advance.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What kind of noise would be helpful.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should hear a fairly light click similar to a relay or solenoid. That would be the brake-park shift interlock and is totally normal.

OP
OP
T

TheKid7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
You should hear a fairly light click similar to a relay or solenoid. That would be the brake-park shift interlock and is totally normal.
Not a light click.

A mild 'Grrr'?. It is difficult to describe the sound.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not a light click.

A mild 'Grrr'?. It is difficult to describe the sound.

It’s probably from the dial shifter. Put your hand on it and you’ll likely be able to feel it. It’s from the shifter interlock, it’s normal.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s probably from the dial shifter. Put your hand on it and you’ll likely be able to feel it. It’s from the shifter interlock, it’s normal.

Yep.....mine has done it since new

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is the shifter interlock for your dial shifter that you are hearing whenever you depress the brake pedal when the truck it started and running.