OEM brake control question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not home and won't be for a couple of months so I can't check for myself.

I'm wanting to get a brake control ordered while I'm gone to install while I'm home. I've read that if my truck has the factory wiring then the OEM control is plug and play other than having the truck flashed by the dealer. Is there a way to tell if I have the factory wiring without crawling under the dash? I have a 2014 Ram Express Crew cab Hemi 6 speed. 3.55 gears, Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler, Heavy Duty Engine Cooling, Class IV Receiver Hitch, and the 7 pin and 4 pin trailer connector all factory installed. Sounds like the truck was set up for towing but since it's pretty much a base model the brake control was left off...or that's what I'm hoping!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I am not home and won't be for a couple of months so I can't check for myself.

I'm wanting to get a brake control ordered while I'm gone to install while I'm home. I've read that if my truck has the factory wiring then the OEM control is plug and play other than having the truck flashed by the dealer. Is there a way to tell if I have the factory wiring without crawling under the dash? I have a 2014 Ram Express Crew cab Hemi 6 speed. 3.55 gears, Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler, Heavy Duty Engine Cooling, Class IV Receiver Hitch, and the 7 pin and 4 pin trailer connector all factory installed. Sounds like the truck was set up for towing but since it's pretty much a base model the brake control was left off...or that's what I'm hoping!

Just did a 2013 express and it was plug and play. Make sure the control includes the factory pigtail if yours isn't in the truck glove box. I think the pigtail only came in the 2500's that didn't already have the factory control in them.

OP
OP
C

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do not remember seeing a pigtail in the glovebox, I'll make sure I order one of those also. Thanks!

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
what is this pigtail you mention? i recently installed the OEM brake control on my 2014 express and not sure where a "pigtail" would have been used?

OP
OP
C

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I got my wife to crawl under the dash today and look for the wires. She found these taped to the bottom of the steering column. Are these what I'm looking for?

IMG_1686.jpg

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just installed mine! I could only get two out of the three screws in the bracket but it held up just fine.

Good luck!