OEM LED headlight opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I own a 4th gen and am looking at doing a headlight retrofit. Haven’t found much info on the oem led headlights. What’s yalls opinions on them when it comes to output and everything? They are going pretty cheap on eBay and am considering playing around with them if they are worth a darn.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No one talks about them because they are that good! Go take a 19 with LEDs for a spin at night, you’ll love em. You might buy the truck too so be careful! ;)

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Any output pictures or anything? How’s the cut off?

Max Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The LED headlights are perfect, spoils me when I drive one of my other non-LED vehicles.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I have not taken any. Next time I am out at night I can...that could be a few days though.
I’d really appreciate it. I know aftermarket bi-led projectors are slowly inching closer to HID in width and intensity (one of the best only available on alibaba currently), so wanted to see some output pics to see if I wanted to go down that road with the oem Ram projectors or go the aftermarket route.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
My son bought some of these for his 2012 Chevy Cruze...plug and play, and has had ZERO issues....work everytime, flawless.
Comes with harness for plug and play.

http://heiseled.com/

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I own a 4th gen and am looking at doing a headlight retrofit. Haven’t found much info on the oem led headlights. What’s yalls opinions on them when it comes to output and everything? They are going pretty cheap on eBay and am considering playing around with them if they are worth a darn.
I’d really appreciate it. I know aftermarket bi-led projectors are slowly inching closer to HID in width and intensity (one of the best only available on alibaba currently), so wanted to see some output pics to see if I wanted to go down that road with the oem Ram projectors or go the aftermarket route.
I just recently retrofitted a pair of 09+ OEM Quads with 4 LED Morimoto Projectors. They are by far the brightest retrofits I've ever seen personally, hid included, and for the price it cost to do all of it, it would have cost the same to do a Mini D2s retrofit and some led cube or LED bulb or something in the high beam.

The low beam is the Morimoto M-LED Projector and the high beam is the Profile HiLens LED Projector which was designed to be specifically for High Beams.

*** Ignore the fingerprints and dirty lenses, this was before I cleaned them up and resealed them***

197058318c7ea9c9dfc3a654b3027cca.jpg4eceb33df22b1463cc807786dd5c369e.jpg1f0389d2ff1035988c97e6a31bed21bd.jpga46a77bb0c3c140c1e6d59ea5601edb9.jpgf64b0805ae0dc4a0a713a5673908f191.jpg

The color temp, instant on, light depth, width, etc is near perfect. I never get flashed or highbeamed and they look amazing! Don't be so quick to judge aftermarket LED Projectors. I can't vouch for any of the afternarket Osram, Koito, Profile, iLed, LightWerkz or eBay/Amazon Generic LED Projectors because I've never personally used them, but the M-LED and the Profile HiLens are the real deal and the best part is everything fits inside the housing, so from the outside it looks like the normal headlight with just the normal H13 plug that goes to your truck, nothing extra. Nice and clean retrofit.
My son bought some of these for his 2012 Chevy Cruze...plug and play, and has had ZERO issues....work everytime, flawless.
Comes with harness for plug and play.

http://heiseled.com/
I think your talking about a plug-n-play LED bulb kit, while Spud2388 is talking about a full LED powered Projector found on some of the new higher trim level 2019 Rams.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I just recently retrofitted a pair of 09+ OEM Quads with 4 LED Morimoto Projectors. They are by far the brightest retrofits I've ever seen personally, hid included, and for the price it cost to do all of it, it would have cost the same to do a Mini D2s retrofit and some led cube or LED bulb or something in the high beam.

The low beam is the Morimoto M-LED Projector and the high beam is the Profile HiLens LED Projector which was designed to be specifically for High Beams.

*** Ignore the fingerprints and dirty lenses, this was before I cleaned them up and resealed them***

197058318c7ea9c9dfc3a654b3027cca.jpg4eceb33df22b1463cc807786dd5c369e.jpg1f0389d2ff1035988c97e6a31bed21bd.jpga46a77bb0c3c140c1e6d59ea5601edb9.jpgf64b0805ae0dc4a0a713a5673908f191.jpg

The color temp, instant on, light depth, width, etc is near perfect. I never get flashed or highbeamed and they look amazing! Don't be so quick to judge aftermarket LED Projectors. I can't vouch for any of the afternarket Osram, Koito, Profile, iLed, LightWerkz or eBay/Amazon Generic LED Projectors because I've never personally used them, but the M-LED and the Profile HiLens are the real deal and the best part is everything fits inside the housing, so from the outside it looks like the normal headlight with just the normal H13 plug that goes to your truck, nothing extra. Nice and clean retrofit.
I think your talking about a plug-n-play LED bulb kit, while Spud2388 is talking about a full LED powered Projector found on some of the new higher trim level 2019 Rams.

Looks really good man! I was looking at the Profile hole a bit can’t bring myself into liking it solely on how it looks. The small projectors just don’t do it for me. Lol.

And I am not hesitant on buying aftermarket by any mean. The ones I will get if I go aftermarket are the new Profile PJX projectors (still only available on Alibaba as of now). The general concensus is the current Profile bi-led projectors are better than the Mled, and the new PJX are even better than those. My plan is to do a quad led retrofit in the oem style projector housings and replace the stock projector and the high beam reflector with the PJXs. Also doing switchback Led board replacement along the bottom.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks really good man! I was looking at the Profile hole a bit can’t bring myself into liking it solely on how it looks. The small projectors just don’t do it for me. Lol.

And I am not hesitant on buying aftermarket by any mean. The ones I will get if I go aftermarket are the new Profile PJX projectors (still only available on Alibaba as of now). The general concensus is the current Profile bi-led projectors are better than the Mled, and the new PJX are even better than those. My plan is to do a quad led retrofit in the oem style projector housings and replace the stock projector and the high beam reflector with the PJXs. Also doing switchback Led board replacement along the bottom.
You won't fit a full size 3" or even a 2.5" projector in the high beam area of the OEM Projectors. It just won't happen. It's hard enough to fit a 3" led cube, and the 3" projectors have the shroud on top of the 3" projectors so they really are around 3.75".

Either way, you said the PJX projector were made by Profile? I don't see them listed as being made by Profile anywhere. LightWerkz Instagram has posted about them a few times and nowhere did it say they are made by Profile. Also, apparently according to LightWerkz there is a M-LED V2.0 coming out sometime in the future.

As for the Profile BiLens being better than the M-LED, that's not true. I've personally seen both in person, and the M-LED is way better in almost every aspect.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

And the Profile HiLens that I have in my High Beam spot, it's not "small projectors" in there, it's one projector, with the lens having the multi-lens effect which alters how the light is spread. It's the same as any other projector, just a different lens.

You can't even see the "multi lens" once it's turned on unless you look from a hard side angle which won't happen if it's in a headlight.
5928ae488820555b211b5d35f2b0641f.jpg
5a4768fd959b4424615f054a60596c08.jpg
9145086dc90faaa81c27b2b9c02a9298.jpg

Also, the HiLens can have any of the Morimoto Shrouds mounted on them, they just clip right on like any other 3" projector.

8eacc47108cfef2f6269b160b904d0a7.jpg
57a8ff47ecfd11abc4076564d9b829c5.jpg
dde46cbe55811cec6b83184e9f253673.jpg
c3c5d689641582a84bdce9706dcd96e5.jpg

They also for PERFECTLY into the OEM Quad high beam spot. No need to Dremel out the bulb hole, no need to cut or trim any of the housing internals, it just bolts right up with the mounting shaft, and that's it. Best part is there are no driver's, no ballasts and it has a 9006 plug which plugs right into the stock high beam plug and there is no need for any harness or adapters as the 09-14 Rams don't have Canbus on the high beams. It's truly plug and play, zero modifications needed and it's only $80. Same price or cheaper then decent led bulbs or a led Cub pod. And it's output is amazing.
a1454867f5a803621c2f21ea10545359.jpg

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Whoa. Simmer down buddy. Lol. Firstly, never underestimate the power of a dremel tool. It might not be as simple as using the threaded shaft and poping a shroud on like most people do, but it is definitely doable with a little patience and finesse. Secondly, I misspoke about the PJX projectors. The company who makes them has come out with the PJX. I am assuming Profile buys them and throws their brand on it like most companies do these days. It is not Profile who has them. So you are correct there.

Seriously, I do think your lights are cool and I’m glad you like them; that’s the most important thing. I just like doing things a little different than everyone else. So I’m looking forward to tackling a quad build in oem projector housings.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Whoa. Simmer down buddy. Lol. Firstly, never underestimate the power of a dremel tool. It might not be as simple as using the threaded shaft and poping a shroud on like most people do, but it is definitely doable with a little patience and finesse. Secondly, I misspoke about the PJX projectors. The company who makes them has come out with the PJX. I am assuming Profile buys them and throws their brand on it like most companies do these days. It is not Profile who has them. So you are correct there.

Seriously, I do think your lights are cool and I’m glad you like them; that’s the most important thing. I just like doing things a little different than everyone else. So I’m looking forward to tackling a quad build in oem projector housings.
I'm just saying, the profile HiLens fit into the high beam spot, with very very little room above and below it and it comes in at 78mm in height. Any full size shroud averages 127mm-135mm in height. Almost double the size of the HiLens. I have a Dremel, I build a set of lights almost every day and I'm constantly using my Dremel on quads to fit full size shrouds, so I'm very familiar with the quad headlights and their sizing. If you cut up a 3" shroud (which is all of them except the "mini" ones) you will have to cut off about 50% of the shroud, losing most of it in the process. That, or you will have to cut the entire plastic housing that separates the low and high beam areas in the quads.

Either way, good luck with whatever you decide to do. Post pictures because I want to see what the outcome is when you Dremel your lights to fit any projector in the quads high beams other than the MatchBox or HiLens. Definitely want to see how you do it and the outcome. Keep us updated.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally got out tonight and took some photos. This is on my 19 with the LED package.

This Photo is of the truck stopped. The top picture is Low Beams, the bottom, High Beams.

stopped.jpg

This Photo is the truck moving on a highway. A little blurry but I think you'll get the point. The top picture is Low Beams, the bottom, High Beams.

moving.jpg

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I'm just saying, the profile HiLens fit into the high beam spot, with very very little room above and below it and it comes in at 78mm in height. Any full size shroud averages 127mm-135mm in height. Almost double the size of the HiLens. I have a Dremel, I build a set of lights almost every day and I'm constantly using my Dremel on quads to fit full size shrouds, so I'm very familiar with the quad headlights and their sizing. If you cut up a 3" shroud (which is all of them except the "mini" ones) you will have to cut off about 50% of the shroud, losing most of it in the process. That, or you will have to cut the entire plastic housing that separates the low and high beam areas in the quads.

Either way, good luck with whatever you decide to do. Post pictures because I want to see what the outcome is when you Dremel your lights to fit any projector in the quads high beams other than the MatchBox or HiLens. Definitely want to see how you do it and the outcome. Keep us updated.

I definitely will man. Going to be a process for sure but I havn’t seen anyone do a quad projector retro in oem sport projectors so we shall see. Might order a pair of those 19 leds just to see their output in person. Not sure about shrouds for them though... Already know I will lose the little loop piece that sticks out in front of the high beam reflector. Gonna be fun.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I finally got out tonight and took some photos. This is on my 19 with the LED package.

This Photo is of the truck stopped. The top picture is Low Beams, the bottom, High Beams.

View attachment 148463

This Photo is the truck moving on a highway. A little blurry but I think you'll get the point. The top picture is Low Beams, the bottom, High Beams.

View attachment 148464
Really appreciate it man. Definitely helped clear some stuff up. If you think about it and you’re ever facing a blank wall, snap a picture. Would love to see the cutoff and where the hotspot is. Thanks again.

Also, how do they operate? Are both on for low beams and both activated for highs or is one for low and one for high on each side?

Last edited:

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I definitely will man. Going to be a process for sure but I havn’t seen anyone do a quad projector retro in oem sport projectors so we shall see. Might order a pair of those 19 leds just to see their output in person. Not sure about shrouds for them though... Already know I will lose the little loop piece that sticks out in front of the high beam reflector. Gonna be fun.

I've seen quad projectors in the OEM Projectors, but it's usually the MatchBox that they put in the high beam area.

As for losing the "C-Bar" that sticks off the oem low beam projector shroud, I've seen tons of Retrofits where the person removed that piece. Usually it's when they install an led cube pod.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I've seen quad projectors in the OEM Projectors, but it's usually the MatchBox that they put in the high beam area.

As for losing the "C-Bar" that sticks off the oem low beam projector shroud, I've seen tons of Retrofits where the person removed that piece. Usually it's when they install an led cube pod.

Awesome. I’ll have to look around for some of those retros. Might have even seen them just haven’t paid attention to it. Thanks for your help.

VeDubb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am wondering how these lights are actually installed. Apparently the clear lens must be removed? I've always been concerned about removing the plastic lens in fear of breaking it. Any insight would be appreciated.