OEM Stereo System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoffeeAnderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2015 Bighorn 5.7L 1500 here... I have the normal sound system in my truck.. how big of a difference between the normal and the premium sound system is there? Thanks!!

OP
OP
C

CoffeeAnderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Its been a while since I was on here.. forgot it said what truck I had on my profile lol. Anyway I appreciate your response

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The stock 6 speaker system needs the speakers replaced. The 77KICK28ab (fronts) and 77KICK41 makes a huge difference and is plug-n-play, no spacers or adapters needed. You can take it a step further and put a Kicker Hideaway subwoofer under the back seat.
To upgrade to the Alpine system would be a major PIA, a lot of wiring harnesses would need to be added.

OP
OP
C

CoffeeAnderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The stock 6 speaker system needs the speakers replaced. The 77KICK28ab (fronts) and 77KICK41 makes a huge difference and is plug-n-play, no spacers or adapters needed. You can take it a step further and put a Kicker Hideaway subwoofer under the back seat.
To upgrade to the Alpine system would be a major PIA, a lot of wiring harnesses would need to be added.

do you need to take the door panels off to swap speakers im assuming? Also do the 77KCIK28ab and 77KICK41 have better sound quality in general? How much are they
=

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
do you need to take the door panels off to swap speakers im assuming?
The door panels have to come off but they're fairly easy to remove, no special tools needed.
I haven't looked up the price on them recently but they make a huge difference in the sound. Let Google be your friend shopping for them

nathan_h

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
do you need to take the door panels off to swap speakers im assuming? Also do the 77KCIK28ab and 77KICK41 have better sound quality in general? How much are they
=

I haven't heard those particular Kicker's but in general the answer to your question is YES*, just about any compatible after market speaker with the right impedance and frequency response (of which there are quite a few) will be a step up.

I hate to be a shill but in this case, based on your questions, and the fact that huge price differences between the various vendors seldom exist, you are a perfect candidate for Crutchfield's useful approach to selling upgrades.

You indicate on the web site which model of vehicle you have (year and options and etc) and they spit out all the compatible upgrade paths: "here is what will work best with your existing sound system" and "here is what works best if you upgrade your amp, etc". They even explain, usually, why they make their recommendations.

They have kicker speakers and LOTS of others that are plug and play compatible. And for "free" the also give you complete instructions about how to install them, and if there is any wiring that makes it easier, they typically include that for "free" too. And then they have a phone support staff that is SILLY patient who are not in a hurry to hang up on you, if you run into any questions.

Are they a perfect vendor? No. Are there other vendors that are cheaper? Maybe but strangely not very much unless you find some source that is pretty obscure. (I would love to learn otherwise.)

Oh, and they have a pretty darn good return policy and I have used it before and been pleased. So if you don't like the results, or change your mind, they seem to usually be pretty good about taking stuff back. YMMV of course.

----

*Caveats apply such as the step up may not be what you are looking for in a prticular case. "Better sound" is not a precise goal. Do you want more bass? More accurate frequency response? Better soundstaging and imaging? Louder? Big thump?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93