Off Road Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Other manufactures allow the lockers to be engaged in 2wd, 4wd hi/low. They also automatically disenage the electronic lockers at a certain speed.

When it comes to technology some are cutting edge. Ram is years behind in the technology improvements.

The ram reef is a prime example of its not the capability of the vehicle but capability of the driver as the manufacture got a rock crawler stuck on a rock.

Theviking sorry that I'm not the average ram fanboy. I'm not a run with the fade brand jumper and know what to expect with these vehicle being my 6th I have bought new.

Ford is the only manufacturer you can turn on the locker out of 4Lo. It is an open differential when unlocked. All other brands you have to modify the vehicle to get 4Hi locked function. Ford's electric locking differential sucks compared to an ARB or Eaton E-Locker (it doesn't sound like you've used one though). Toyota is the only brand that has a decent locker besides the PW and it is still an open diff when unlocked.

Most people consider the computer controlled disengage function a disadvantage. You're the first person I've seen complain that you can't control the locker and then complain the computer doesn't control the locker. Which is it?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not the average fanboy? You have actually been a big fanboy of most everything Ford. But done nothing here but derail threads with useless garbage that you dig up, concerning vehicles you don't even own.

So what's the useful purpose of that? You don't actually contribute anything useful here and obviously NO fan of Ram at all by your postings.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Not the average fanboy? You have actually been a big fanboy of most everything Ford. But done nothing here but derail threads with useless garbage that you dig up, concerning vehicles you don't even own.

So what's the useful purpose of that? You don't actually contribute anything useful here and obviously NO fan of Ram at all by your postings.

Actually I beleive I have posted useful info, how about you?? Don't be all upset that I pointed out that the 6.4 may not meet the advertised j2807 towing spec, or that a less powerful 6.0 towed the same load better of 12k at its max capacity better than the 6.4 well under capacity.

Stay on track or move on. We are talking of off road packages and towing...

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Ford is the only manufacturer you can turn on the locker out of 4Lo. It is an open differential when unlocked. All other brands you have to modify the vehicle to get 4Hi locked function. Ford's electric locking differential sucks compared to an ARB or Eaton E-Locker (it doesn't sound like you've used one though). Toyota is the only brand that has a decent locker besides the PW and it is still an open diff when unlocked.

Most people consider the computer controlled disengage function a disadvantage. You're the first person I've seen complain that you can't control the locker and then complain the computer doesn't control the locker. Which is it?

Ford can be turned on in all settings.

Have experience with limited slips, tracrite GTL, G-80 and ARB, for a factory locker Ford nailed it. You can also enage 4low with the front axles disengaged resulting is pulling power on any surface. There has been posts of individuals having to use 4lo while towing to move a trailer after stopping on an incline. Mind you it was 4low on pavement with a 6.4...

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In 2012 the Ford E-lock rear only locked up to like 25 mph except in the Raptor.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Actually I beleive I have posted useful info, how about you?? Don't be all upset that I pointed out that the 6.4 may not meet the advertised j2807 towing spec, or that a less powerful 6.0 towed the same load better of 12k at its max capacity better than the 6.4 well under capacity.

So the only "useful" info you provide is trying to persuade others why they shouldn't buy a Ram. Even if it's not the topic of conversation.

Please explain why you bought six new Ram trucks instead of a Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota, etc. Considering you can't find a single positive thing to say about a Ram truck on this forum, I'd like to know why you still bought so many of them. Why didn't you buy Ford trucks instead since you are so fond of them? What models did you buy, have pictures? What do you do for a living that you such an expert insight on Ram products? How is it that you have had six new Ram trucks and but just joined this form 2 months ago only to become a vocal critic of all things Ram. Why is who won a drag race up the Gauntlet so important to you that you have stated it in no less then six threads?

You see where one might be a little skeptical of you actual intentions here. Stop trolling all the threads with irrelevant bs and I'll stop calling you out on it.

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4

No one here is upset about the 6.4's towing performance at max rating up the Ike... that's just some negativity you injected into the conversation. Like others have said; pretty much pointless and irrelevant when it has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Yes, a few of us mentioned towing with the PW at it's max rating because we have experience doing so and it pertained to the conversation.

So tell me, do you have experience with anything other than trolling around the lake looking for fish to take your bait so you can spew your anti-RAM rhetoric?

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
So the only "useful" info you provide is trying to persuade others why they shouldn't buy a Ram. Even if it's not the topic of conversation.

Please explain why you bought six new Ram trucks instead of a Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota, etc. Considering you can't find a single positive thing to say about a Ram truck on this forum, I'd like to know why you still bought so many of them. Why didn't you buy Ford trucks instead since you are so fond of them? What models did you buy, have pictures? What do you do for a living that you such an expert insight on Ram products? How is it that you have had six new Ram trucks and but just joined this form 2 months ago only to become a vocal critic of all things Ram. Why is who won a drag race up the Gauntlet so important to you that you have stated it in no less then six threads?

You see where one might be a little skeptical of you actual intentions here. Stop trolling all the threads with irrelevant bs and I'll stop calling you out on it.

A stalker... Lets just say i get chrysler products for a price I can not pass up.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A stalker... Lets just say i get chrysler products for a price I can not pass up.

I've already explained that I'm hoping a moderator will pay attention and boot your a$$ for needlessly derailing these threads with your fabricated dribble. Stop stalking the HD forum here and go post somewhere else if you don't like it.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Keep it on topic and not personal attacks. There is no point in that. Stay on topic and have fun.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ford can be turned on in all settings.

Have experience with limited slips, tracrite GTL, G-80 and ARB, for a factory locker Ford nailed it. You can also enage 4low with the front axles disengaged resulting is pulling power on any surface. There has been posts of individuals having to use 4lo while towing to move a trailer after stopping on an incline. Mind you it was 4low on pavement with a 6.4...

An open differential isn't exactly "nailing" it.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There has been posts of individuals having to use 4lo while towing to move a trailer after stopping on an incline. Mind you it was 4low on pavement with a 6.4...

You mean this post?

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=81064

I think he gets a pass having tonuse 4-Lo to tow a disabled 70-80,000lb crane off the road.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Let's all play spot the forum troll in this thread.

I'm sure the guy talking the most about lockers, doesn't wheel anything, especially a Ram.

Please tell me more about how, not capable my truck is.

13269369_1018115828277903_143344654_n.jpg

Furthermore, I'll say it again! The PW is the best performing, most capable off-road biased HD truck on the market!!! Justifying it's price, value, lifestyle functionality or on-road capability for your specific purpose can be debated; it's definitely not for everyone. It's a niche vehicle, but is still a solid option because it does quite a few things well right out of the gate.

Yup, I've spent the better of 28 days in Moab, proving this point by pushing a stock PW to it's limits. Neither a stock Toyota Tacoma TRD or the Nissan Titan Pro-4X would do half of this stuff. They simply can't in stock trim.

13129409_236229080070816_1470513574_n.jpg

BTW... locking differentials (especially in the front) are most valuable when crawling... so tell me why you do need them it any selection other than 4-Low?

I've been trying to figure this one out for a long time in regards to the bypass kit. I just have never said, gee wish I could engage lockers in 4HI. I've done a lot of wheeling, for a number of years. And the only thing I can even remotely think of is blasting through sand or mud at high speeds. I don't know.

Can the troll tell me when I'd want to use this feature. I must be missing out on something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Don't like the new grill or giant RAM lettering on the tailgate. ...I am hoping all the 2017's do not have the gaudy (IMO) Ram grill and giant lettering on the tailgate.

I don't mind the look of the tailgate, so I suspect you would find someone to swap if it was possible.

The X shaped grill has not grown on me yet.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Let's all play spot the forum troll in this thread.

I'm sure the guy talking the most about lockers, doesn't wheel anything, especially a Ram.

Please tell me more about how, not capable my truck is.

13269369_1018115828277903_143344654_n.jpg

Yup, I've spent the better of 28 days in Moab, proving this point by pushing a stock PW to it's limits. Neither a stock Toyota Tacoma TRD or the Nissan Titan Pro-4X would do half of this stuff. They simply can't in stock trim.

13129409_236229080070816_1470513574_n.jpg

I've been trying to figure this one out for a long time in regards to the bypass kit. I just have never said, gee wish I could engage lockers in 4HI. I've done a lot of wheeling, for a number of years. And the only thing I can even remotely think of is blasting through sand or mud at high speeds. I don't know.

Can the troll tell me when I'd want to use this feature. I must be missing out on something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

im with ya. there isn't anything else in stock form out there that can tow that trailer to camp with authority and then outperform its other stock competitors.

The PW is one of a kind and dont take no crap.

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Thanks to all the guys that chimed in and added more proof of the PW's capabilities... Pretty much exemplified why I bought one over the new Titan XD.

There are a lot of vehicles with OE packages and features that one could argue against having real-world value... The Power Wagon simply isn't one of them! It's in a class all by itself as far as I'm concerned.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
thanks to all the guys that chimed in and added more proof of the pw's capabilities... Pretty much exemplified why i bought one over the new titan xd.

There are a lot of vehicles with oe packages and features that one could argue against having real-world value... The power wagon simply isn't one of them! It's in a class all by itself as far as i'm concerned.

the class name is: B.a.m.f.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Saw this at the dealer when I was getting my oil change today. Not a bad looking off road package. Too bad it didn't come with lockers and is too high for my gooseneck trailers.

20160524_114254.jpg

20160524_114243.jpg

20160524_114227.jpg

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Saw this at the dealer when I was getting my oil change today. Not a bad looking off road package. Too bad it didn't come with lockers and is too high for my gooseneck trailers.

20160524_114254.jpg

20160524_114243.jpg

20160524_114227.jpg

Normally I shy away from the lifted offroader look, but that looks damn good and functional. Wonder what (if anything) was done underneath the skin?