Oil change (synthetic) advice for guy who won't be changing his own oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
because what the semi-synthetic oil can do is already above the demand from the engine, if you have a stock vehicle without any modifications.
It's like you put 100 octane gasoline in an engine, which is designed to run on 87 octane. does nothing bad, but ain't doing something special either.

there is one thing you are missing though. The physical break down of synthetic takes longer than that of regular dino oil and semi synthetic. So for those who prefer to do oil changes at the 8-10k mile mark, there is a bennefit, so your analogy to gasoline octane ratings isnt really apples to apples. Yes, regualr dino oil is fine, but needs to be changed sooner. Semi syn, same thing, lasts a little longer thoug. full syn, will last even longer.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there is one thing you are missing though. The physical break down of synthetic takes longer than that of regular dino oil and semi synthetic. So for those who prefer to do oil changes at the 8-10k mile mark, there is a bennefit, so your analogy to gasoline octane ratings isnt really apples to apples. Yes, regualr dino oil is fine, but needs to be changed sooner. Semi syn, same thing, lasts a little longer thoug. full syn, will last even longer.

That's what the recommended oil change intervals are there for. And you will be surprised what oils can do today. The problem is, that there is still old school hardcore opinions about oil spinning around. Oil- no matter which one- lasts way longer than 20 or 30 years ago.
I actually trust more in what I learned, what I know and my experience as far as I have to do with it professionally, than some self proclaimed Internet masters, having their knowledge from some forums, buddies, colorful Web sites wanting to sell and in some rare cases from wikipedia.
No offense, but it has reasons, why you have to have certain education for certain jobs. And believe me- these jobs paying well. Above 80k.
So put in your engine, what you want. I don't care. But don't overestimate your knowledge.
If somebody would have to explain, it would take years, starting with basic engine technology, chemistry, physics, statics, hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, and a lot more. That's why people have to go to school. If you found a way to get the knowledge faster, better and in the same quality, let me know, I might be 50, but I still love to learn something new.
And also- one can't know everything. I know about engines, and basics about the rest and I know a lot of people can tell me something about it. Know your limits. I do. And that's where I stay within.
And when I say, semi synthetic is enough if you keep your oil change intervals, then you can believe it. Everything else is draining money out of the drain plug.
Have a wonderful day.

Last edited:

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought about that. I guess Magnuson-Moss says automakers can't void or refuse to honor warranties if service is performed elsewhere as long as it can be documented/confirmed. There's a place down the street from where I work that might be a good candidate for this...think I'll stop by there today.

It's better then that. To deny your warranty they have to prove that the damage was caused by your non maintenance. Only after they do that do you have to actually prove you did the maintenance.

first of all- if you decide what oil to use- no matter if synthetic, semi synthetic or what ever- stick with it. the engine breaks in to the condition this oil provides, especially in the bearings. under the microscope the "smooth" surface at the bearings and cranks are like spiky mountains. the oil is in between. if the engine is new, the tips of these "mountains" rub each other off. how much depends on the oil in between. If you change the oil, and take a different, this process starts new and you have more wear than if you would had stuck with what you started out with.

What a load of back of the shop BS this is. If we're going to spout back of the shop BS, most engine builders will TELL YOU to break in your engine with conventional and then switch to synthetic. So this BS is in direct conflict with other BS.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what the recommended oil change intervals are there for. And you will be surprised what oils can do today. The problem is, that there is still old school hardcore opinions about oil spinning around. Oil- no matter which one- lasts way longer than 20 or 30 years ago.
I actually trust more in what I learned, what I know and my experience as far as I have to do with it professionally, than some self proclaimed Internet masters, having their knowledge from some forums, buddies, colorful Web sites wanting to sell and in some rare cases from wikipedia.
No offense, but it has reasons, why you have to have certain education for certain jobs. And believe me- these jobs paying well. Above 80k.
So put in your engine, what you want. I don't care. But don't overestimate your knowledge.
If somebody would have to explain, it would take years, starting with basic engine technology, chemistry, physics, statics, hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, and a lot more. That's why people have to go to school. If you found a way to get the knowledge faster, better and in the same quality, let me know, I might be 50, but I still love to learn something new.
And also- one can't know everything. I know about engines, and basics about the rest and I know a lot of people can tell me something about it. Know your limits. I do. And that's where I stay within.
And when I say, semi synthetic is enough if you keep your oil change intervals, then you can believe it. Everything else is draining money out of the drain plug.
Have a wonderful day.

so you are saying that semi-syn will break down at the same rate as full syn?

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so you are saying that semi-syn will break down at the same rate as full syn?

That was not the question and my answer is according the statement, that full synthetic oil is not necessary, semi synthetic oil is enough. Ergo full synthetic is a wastest of money for a stock engine.
Read, think, then answer.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's better then that. To deny your warranty they have to prove that the damage was caused by your non maintenance. Only after they do that do you have to actually prove you did the maintenance.

What a load of back of the shop BS this is. If we're going to spout back of the shop BS, most engine builders will TELL YOU to break in your engine with conventional and then switch to synthetic. So this BS is in direct conflict with other BS.

I don't know, where you're coming from, and who taught you manners, but it was obviously not enough or not sustainable enough.
The next thing, what I read out of your rude, unsuccessful try to make me think, you know something, is, also you, have no idea what I'm talking about.
Also for you the advice, perfectly described by the German comedian Dieter Nuhr: wenn man keine ahnung hat, einfach mal die fresse halten. What means translated in nice words: if you have no clue, just once keep your mouth shut.
Have a wonderful day and bless your heart, sir.

Last edited:

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dealer told me i could bring my own oil and filter and they'd change it at a reduced price. I also have a shop nearby that charges only $12 if I bring in my own stuff. You may be able to find a similar deal near you. I have 4 free oil/filter changes from the dealer and will be getting my 3rd done soon. I don't know what they use but know if something goes bad because of what they use it will be on them. So far I have had no problems with their oil and doubt I would ever have problems with it.
I'm no expert on the subject but i plan on getting my oil changed at 6 months/ 6k miles, whichever comes first, and will use Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional oil and a good filter.

Last edited:

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
have no idea what I'm talking about.

I know what you're trying to claim, which is that switching from conventional to synthetic oil will all of a sudden make your rod bearings wear at an increased rate (which is bs). But you're right, I have no idea what your talking about in terms of justifying that claim, because it's BS.

If I told you the sky was red because the discombobulator went into derivative mode, you would have no idea what I'm talking about either, but you would still know I was wrong.

I also love that you are continually telling people in this thread that synthetic is useless in these trucks, even though the oil temperature is pretty elevated when you haul anything. Which is a clear cut reason why synthetic should be used over conventional, beyond all the other reasons applicable to every vehicle that one would want to use synthetic.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Read, think, then answer.

Take your own advice brother, lmao

.....and thanks for taking the bait, that was easier than I expected.

Youv'e made quite a name for yourself in some of the other threads on here too huh? Thank god for the ignore button.

Buuuhhhh bye

Last edited:

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Youv'e made quite a name for yourself in some of the other threads on here too huh? Thank god for the ignore button.

Buuuhhhh bye

What other nonsense has this guy been spouting?

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know what you're trying to claim, which is that switching from conventional to synthetic oil will all of a sudden make your rod bearings wear at an increased rate (which is bs). But you're right, I have no idea what your talking about in terms of justifying that claim, because it's BS.

If I told you the sky was red because the discombobulator went into derivative mode, you would have no idea what I'm talking about either, but you would still know I was wrong.

I also love that you are continually telling people in this thread that synthetic is useless in these trucks, even though the oil temperature is pretty elevated when you haul anything. Which is a clear cut reason why synthetic should be used over conventional, beyond all the other reasons applicable to every vehicle that one would want to use synthetic.

Buddy. Ok, for you and all others having a problem with undersranding.
What I said was: semi synthetic oil is enough for a stock hemi.
I also said, if you choose the oil, you want to run your engine with, stick with it.
I never said, synthetic is worthless but I said in a stock engine not necessary.

And if that is already too hard to understand and causing confusion in some people's world view, yes, than I'm wrong here.
And I don't claim, I make a pretty decent living exactly with that topic.
But that's none of your business.
And you are one of the examples, why some people getting further in life than others. I thank you for that.

Have a wonderful day- and bless your heart.

Last edited:

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I said was: semi synthetic oil is enough for a stock hemi.

Uh huh... phrase it anyway you like, you're trying to tel people synthetic is useless and a waste, and you're wrong, see previous post. You're basically defeating your own argument at this point, by punctuating that you said semi-synthetic not conventional, since you're admitting there are merits.

I also said, if you choose the oil, you want to run your engine with, stick with it.

because...

first of all- if you decide what oil to use- no matter if synthetic, semi synthetic or what ever- stick with it. the engine breaks in to the condition this oil provides, especially in the bearings. If you change the oil, and take a different, this process starts new and you have more wear than if you would had stuck with what you started out with.

Which is BS fear-mongering that has no appreciable effect.

I never said, synthetic is worthless but I said in a stock engine not necessary.

Right, not necessary, aka having no value, aka worthless. I see you have a vocabulary handicap, I'll try to keep that in mind.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh lord, why do I even answer to sub par train ride opinion?
No I don't do it no more.
Keep on doing, what you do, keeps me in business.

Have a nice day and yeah- god bless you.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh lord, why do I even answer to sub par train ride opinion?
No I don't do it no more.
Keep on doing, what you do, keeps me in business.

Have a nice day and yeah- god bless you.

You state, that most people who are on the side of the road, are there because they think they are smarter than the engineers... If thats the case, why would YOU put anything but synthetic in? The engineers are ram say, only synthetic in it.
My proof, i was at the dealership this morning and saw this thread and asked. Hence it comes from the factory with Penzoil Platinum

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You state, that most people who are on the side of the road, are there because they think they are smarter than the engineers... If thats the case, why would YOU put anything but synthetic in? The engineers are ram say, only synthetic in it.
My proof, i was at the dealership this morning and saw this thread and asked. Hence it comes from the factory with Penzoil Platinum

Whoever told you rams are shipped with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic is wrong its Pennzoil 5-20 in the yellow bottle, its a conventional oil, the dealers at least mine said my 2 free oil changes would be with a syn blend which would be Pennzoil gold bottle. Now if we were talking a SRT 6.4 hemi then yes those ship with a full syn oil but its Pennzoil ultra platinum and its 0-40

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whoever told you rams are shipped with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic is wrong its Pennzoil 5-20 in the yellow bottle, its a conventional oil, the dealers at least mine said my 2 free oil changes would be with a syn blend which would be Pennzoil gold bottle. Now if we were talking a SRT 6.4 hemi then yes those ship with a full syn oil but its Pennzoil ultra platinum and its 0-40

My dealer told me, I figured they should at least know what the truck is shipped wth... Isn't the PP in a silver bottle and the ultra is a black bottle.

Dr.Lou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L hemi
FWIW, I bring my vehicles to the local Nissan dealer with my oil and filter and they charge me $10, which includes all the usual checks.

Reactions: SyN

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealer told me, I figured they should at least know what the truck is shipped wth... Isn't the PP in a silver bottle and the ultra is a black bottle.

Dealer guys know very little. :crazy:

PYB (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) = conventional, yellow bottle.
PG (Pennzoil Gold) = synthetic blend, gold bottle
PP (Pennzoil Platinum) = synthetic, platinum/silver bottle
PUP (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) = synthetic, black bottle.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Roastpuff has it right on the pennzoil line.